Topic: DaVinci Circles not round

Hello,
I purchased the DaVinci used over the weekend and have printed many objects successfully.  I started running various circle tests to check for roundness last night and saw a problem (photo below). 

BTW: machine has been manually calibrated using the paper technique and it improved bed sticking tremendously.
I'm currently adjusting belt tension now thinking I have a little backlash in my prints.

Anyone with any suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Thank you for the help

R

Re: DaVinci Circles not round

Robert V wrote:

Hello,
I purchased the DaVinci used over the weekend and have printed many objects successfully.  I started running various circle tests to check for roundness last night and saw a problem (photo below). 

BTW: machine has been manually calibrated using the paper technique and it improved bed sticking tremendously.
I'm currently adjusting belt tension now thinking I have a little backlash in my prints.

Anyone with any suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Thank you for the help

R

You will need to search for it but there is a topic and fix on this. The white pullies on the rods have enough play between them and the snap rings to cause what you are seeing. Also a broken bearing block can cause this as well. Check your bearing blocks and shim the washers.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

photo?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Sorry first time posting photo.  Hopefully this works.

R

Post's attachments

NotRoundCircleTest.jpg
NotRoundCircleTest.jpg 1.85 mb, 3 downloads since 2015-01-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

I just tightened the belts and was surprised how much tighter they could really be without undue tension.  Working on the shims now.

Just ran another test and it has improved slightly.  Is it possible the X,Y axis are not parallel?  Bottom side of the circle improved but the top side (towards back of machine) still is not round.

Trying to find post on squaring the X, Y axis now.

7 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-01-26 19:54:20)

Robert V wrote:

Just ran another test and it has improved slightly.  Is it possible the X,Y axis are not parallel?  Bottom side of the circle improved but the top side (towards back of machine) still is not round.

With the machine off. Pull the X gantry all the way forward. Look up at where it bumps into the white pullies. It should bump on both sides. If it does not then your belt has jumped 1 or more teeth and you will need to release tension and move forward or back. Mine was off by one tooth on the left.

I would also advise you to get rid of XYZ white filament. It is garbage and prints poorly compared to other colors. Get their natural color and you find that alone gives you a big improvement. To me some of what is pictured is just the filament laying down poorly which is what white does.

8 (edited by rockosmodlife 2015-01-26 19:55:03)

Robert V wrote:

did you see if your x axis rod is on the same level of tooth on your left and right side of the printer? Manually move your carriage up to the front of the printer and asses if the x axis rods touch the pulley or at least are at the same distance away on the left and right. If not, loosen a tensioner and skip as many teeth that are needed to bring the x axis rod perpendicular to the y axis rods.

Edit: Ninja'd

Repinci 1.0 + Repetier host

Turns out X axis was not the same on both sides.  Made adjustments & put shims where required and my circle test print is now looking acceptable.  Might tweak it another tooth after it finishes the print.  Overall no comparison to what it was and is now looking good.

Thanks for all the help.

R

Robert V wrote:

Turns out X axis was not the same on both sides.  Made adjustments & put shims where required and my circle test print is now looking acceptable.  Might tweak it another tooth after it finishes the print.  Overall no comparison to what it was and is now looking good.

Thanks for all the help.

R

I may have to try this, because with as many mods I have thrown at my printer I should be able to print round circles, but still can't mine look pretty much exactly like yours...

I will give it a go when I get home tonight I guess.

browning54213 wrote:
Robert V wrote:

Thanks for all the help.

R

I may have to try this, because with as many mods I have thrown at my printer I should be able to print round circles, but still can't mine look pretty much exactly like yours...

A very slight improvement, but overall my circles still look like lemons... I am messing with steps per mm on the x y axes right now.

12 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-01-27 18:29:55)

browning54213 wrote:
browning54213 wrote:
Robert V wrote:

Thanks for all the help.

R

A very slight improvement, but overall my circles still look like lemons... I am messing with steps per mm on the x y axes right now.

That will affect dimensions, but the values for x and y should be very close if not always identical. Those values will affect the dimensions of cubes as well. That's how you tune to make a 30mm cube exactly 30mm. It really will not that much of an effect on circles however. Did you check to see if any of your bearing pillows are cracked or damaged? Have you put shims or twisted string/wire between the split washer and the white pullies so there is no lateral play on the shaft? When you pull the x carriage forward both sides bump the white pullies at the exact same time?

carl_m1968 wrote:
browning54213 wrote:
browning54213 wrote:

That will affect dimensions, but the values for x and y should be very close if not always identical. Those values will affect the dimensions of cubes as well. That's how you tune to make a 30mm cube exactly 30mm. It really will not that much of an effect on circles however. Did you check to see if any of your bearing pillows are cracked or damaged? Have you put shims or twisted string/wire between the split washer and the white pullies so there is no lateral play on the shaft? When you pull the x carriage forward both sides bump the white pullies at the exact same time?

Everything is tight and straight so hardware is not exactly the issue. I think it is the issue is a backlash setting, I am fairly sure i have excessive backlash in my y axis.

14 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-01-28 19:24:45)

browning54213 wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
browning54213 wrote:

Everything is tight and straight so hardware is not exactly the issue. I think it is the issue is a backlash setting, I am fairly sure i have excessive backlash in my y axis.

My circles at 15mm measure at 14.9 and 15.0. Pretty close and usable for me.

My circles are almost round, enough they are usable in most cases. Checkout that EEPROM backup and spreadsheet i left in your other thread, you might find some of those settings useful.

carl_m1968 wrote:
Robert V wrote:

With the machine off. Pull the X gantry all the way forward. Look up at where it bumps into the white pullies. It should bump on both sides. If it does not then your belt has jumped 1 or more teeth and you will need to release tension and move forward or back. Mine was off by one tooth on the left.

I would also advise you to get rid of XYZ white filament. It is garbage and prints poorly compared to other colors. Get their natural color and you find that alone gives you a big improvement. To me some of what is pictured is just the filament laying down poorly which is what white does.

Was having an issue with my circles being oblong at 45 degrees, sure enough after pulling my x gantry all the way forward, the left side had a gap of two teeth.

Prints look a LOT better now, thanks for this tip!

NAILED IT!

I had to add .39mm of backlash correction to my Y axis to get it to print round.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ljo-MPPkSL4/VMwLW0YPhkI/AAAAAAAAK3g/o3hdG6NsxL8/w1460-h822-no/IMG_20150130_165256581.jpg

Where did you make the adjustment for the backlash?

XYZ DA Vinci DUO 2.0
XYZWARE
Simplify3d
wctek.com xyzerocart

jeff jenkins wrote:

It is usually in the EEPROM settings only accessible if you are running Repetier firmware and host.

jeff jenkins wrote:

Yeah.. sorry forgot to mention I am on repetier v.91

I'm having the same problem when printing circles in my da Vinci Jr. 1.0, and I'm kinda new in 3D printer mods.

My question is: Is it possible to adjust the x/y offset in the Da Vinci Jr. through the repetier v.91?

http://soliforum.com/i/?94f1jiK.jpg

rdlady wrote:

I'm having the same problem when printing circles in my da Vinci Jr. 1.0, and I'm kinda new in 3D printer mods.

My question is: Is it possible to adjust the x/y offset in the Da Vinci Jr. through the repetier v.91?

Currently the DaVinci Jr. cannot run repetier.  So unfortunately you cannot make this adjustment that way.

DaVinci 1.0A with Repetier .92
Simplify 3D
E3DV6

This is a mechanical problem, not a software problem

rdlady wrote:

Your issue is mechanical. Did you check the Y X axis to make sure when it is pulled all the way forward, that both ends are equal distance as in should almost be touching the white pulleys in the front of the machine in the top?

you need to tighten the belt on the y gantry

carl_m1968 wrote:

Is this true for the Da Vinci Jr white PLA as well?  I noticed my white filament for my Jr prints like crap.  There are small nubs sticking out of the print in random places and sometimes longer/stringy pieces as well.  The first layer has a "fuzziness" to it like it's not laying down right, despite my z offset being good.  I also cleaned the nozzle and it still doesn't print very well.  Will definitely try a different color, as my Nature PLA seems to print much better.