26 (edited by bubblefrog 2015-01-22 13:31:23)

Re: Solidoodle Press Print Quality (and how to fix it)

selkess wrote:

why did not solidoodle do this trimpot calibration them selfs ? so we need open and void our warranty  do everyone have the same moire problem?

maybe the calibration changed during transport

I adjusted mine last night, and found I needed to turn it almost entirely clockwise to achieve the best effect.

It always makes me nervous when something needs to be adjusted to one extreme...  Could someone direct me to a technical explanation of what exactly this trimpot is adjusting in regards to the stepper motor?

Thanks!

you are just adjusting the voltage supplied to the motor.  If you have yours set at the highest (clockwise) position you will want to make sure the motor doesn't get too hot.  There may be no issue as that could be the place the voltage is correct or you could be overpowering the motor creating heat.  If that were the case the motor would groan instead of hum.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:

you are just adjusting the voltage supplied to the motor.  If you have yours set at the highest (clockwise) position you will want to make sure the motor doesn't get too hot.  There may be no issue as that could be the place the voltage is correct or you could be overpowering the motor creating heat.  If that were the case the motor would groan instead of hum.

Sadly, I'm terrible at doing things by sound/ear.  The sound it makes I would describe as a high-pitched whine, the same as what the other steppers make when moving the X or Y axis.  At any other setting, I can hear individual steps/thumps.  There is one spot in the middle that seems to be quieter, but it still produces a significant amount of moire. and I wouldn't say I can even here a hum at that point.

Is there a way to do this with a voltmeter or oscilloscope?  (I have a cheap software oscilloscope, though my skills are very rusty).

Thanks for the assistance.

You can use a volt meter but if it is working don't sweat it.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I adjusted mine this morning.  Same as yours Dream-Cypher, had to turn it all the way clockwise, but the rows look nice and straight now.

anyone have any idea what voltage these stepper motors are suppose to run at?
stock measurements from mine is
X; 1.444v
Y: 1.422v
Z: 1.144v
E: 1.07v

and i am seeing significant moire

does here everyone have the problem uncalibrated trimpot ?

so where they set in China with 50 cycle AC power? thats likely the problem as the USA has 60 cycle

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

35 (edited by bibulb 2015-01-25 19:38:41)

I've only done a few prints, really, but once I cleaned the bed and applied hairspray and gluestick (and cleared the extruder's CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP at the hobbed bolt), I got fairly reliable finished prints (with the supplied ABS). There's definitely artifacts throughout, but I haven't done ANY tuning short of doing one Z-axis calibration, so that's not especially surprising.
Worth noting : the first print post-hairspray was the friendly octopus, and it finished, although the transition to finishing the cap was not perfect by a long shot - but once it went to the actual cap, it was fine.

I received email instructions from Solidoodle support that the Press trimpot settings should be:

X: 1.00
Y: 1.00
Z: 1.00
E: 1.50

I was unable to get my extruder trimpot above 1.15.   Not sure what that means.   My printer is currently awaiting further support.   :-(

Best regards,
Ron

scruffybob wrote:

X: 1.00
Y: 1.00
Z: 1.00
E: 1.50

Ron, is this voltage or trimpot position?

Solidoodle Press
SolidWorks 2014

Voltage.

Has anyone been able to get a smooth and consistent wall thickness after calibrating the trimpot?

I've calibrated mine (both by ear, then again by voltage) and my prints still show a slight moire which I cannot get rid of.  Any thoughts?

I've just received my Press, and there's significant moire on the test print.  I saw Solidoodle's notes on what the correct voltages should be, and I have a volt meter.  Can anyone tell me where I should be connecting my volt meter leads to get this reading?

Thanks!

-Solidoodle 2 Pro with glass bed and custom enclosure.

41 (edited by TruFord93 2015-02-11 18:28:06)

Well, I just saw in another thread that the Z-axis is free floating on the lower end. Would this have an effect on this?

soliforum. com/post/84737/#p84737

TruFord

earhornjones wrote:

I've just received my Press, and there's significant moire on the test print.  I saw Solidoodle's notes on what the correct voltages should be, and I have a volt meter.  Can anyone tell me where I should be connecting my volt meter leads to get this reading?

Thanks!

Here's the SD instructions, which include a photo:
http://support.solidoodle.com/hc/en-us/ … Adjustment

trayracing wrote:
earhornjones wrote:

Thanks!

Thats instructions on how to turn the screw. Not actually where to put the probes of the multimeter. That would be a more helpful picture to have.

thouse wrote:
trayracing wrote:
earhornjones wrote:

Thanks!

Thats instructions on how to turn the screw. Not actually where to put the probes of the multimeter. That would be a more helpful picture to have.

It would. As would working PLA settings. The picture does narrow it down to the three contacts on that device. The wiper is probably the top, and since they want you to increase voltage as you turn clockwise, the other is probably the bottom left. At least, that's where I'd start.

sloppyjoe wrote:

anyone have any idea what voltage these stepper motors are suppose to run at?
stock measurements from mine is
X; 1.444v
Y: 1.422v
Z: 1.144v
E: 1.07v

and i am seeing significant moire

How are you seeing the voltage? Is there an app that can read them? Or do you have to do it manually?

Solidoodle tech support sent me the following for the Press trimpot targets:

X: 1.0v
Y: 1.0v
Z: 1.0v
E: 1.5v

scruffybob wrote:

Solidoodle tech support sent me the following for the Press trimpot targets:

X: 1.0v
Y: 1.0v
Z: 1.0v
E: 1.5v

I tried changing the trimpot on the extruder. It didn't seem to change the voltage at all. Maybe I'm not measuring from the right location?

I tried adjusting the voltage pot to get a rid of moire.  At F5, the motor had a visible and audible pulse at any voltage setting.  Is this normal?

n2ri wrote:

so where they set in China with 50 cycle AC power? thats likely the problem as the USA has 60 cycle

Totally unrelated.  The power at the printer is DC and regulated so, unless you have a really dodgy power supply (not unlikely), then the voltage should be the same so long as the input voltage to the power supply falls between 110 and 250V.  I think that they just set all the trim pots somewhere around 3/4 of full and just leave it there without actually testing.  These things are built CHEAP! VERY CHEAP!

50 (edited by hotony 2015-02-22 08:36:55)

maximum voltage i can get on Extruder is 1.12? am i doing something wrong?