Topic: Attempt to fix wiring issue and a few prints

This is my attempt to fix the wiring issue.
Used a couple light springs, a wire tie mount trimmed to size and a couple extra wire ties. The one spring hooks to one of the unused fan cover screw holes. Seems to work so far. Tried to upload a movie of it homing but it was not allowed (to large).
Also added a couple of successful prints. The first had very little cleanup. The second has none.
Both are .2 mm Quality setting. Used SoliPrint software.

Post's attachments

IMG_0054_R.JPG 462.14 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0057_C.JPG
IMG_0057_C.JPG 302.73 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG 1.38 mb, 2 downloads since 2015-01-18 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Attempt to fix wiring issue and a few prints

I like the spring idea. I think I will try that later tonight. I've been leaving the cover up for right now and would like to be able to put it down.

I've been trying to decide the best place to anchor the cables.  I was leaning towards the front let or rear right corners.

1985.camaro.350 wrote:

I've been leaving the cover up for right now and would like to be able to put it down.

This is the only way the motor has been able to pull material for an entire part for me. If your only issue is the cable management you most likely will encounter motor slippage from the extra bends in material that is being pulled.

bot419 wrote:

Used a couple light springs...

Superb idea my-man. Have you also had motor issues for the material?

Solidoodle Press
SolidWorks 2014

Only when the set screw came loose from the drive gear. Once tightened, no problems.
Is the problem on the first layer? Or does it not even feed if raised off the platform?
If it is the first layer, then I would try to get the Z calibration set. It seems the lower the number the higher off the platform it starts the first layer. If the clearance is too small it will seem like no material is being fed. But essentially the extruder is trying to drive the filament and it is not being allowed to exit. Eventually this will lead to the second case.
If the second case it could be clogged teeth on the feed gear. The instructions say to use the brush. Not sure this works well. You can remove the gear and clean it without dismantling the extruder. Below is from another thread (check the link to see how to remove the screw). Once the screw is loose, just pull back the lever that releases the filament, pull out the filament, hold the lever open and the gear should come off. If it is cold the filament may not release easily.

MacGyverX wrote:

I am not using any of the SD branded software. So far I've only used Octoprint. Later I'll connect it to stock RH.

As for the grub screw > http://public.mlabs.us/ZZ1142642C.jpg . Figured that out this morning. Wish I'd know that when I took it apart 3 times ago.

bot719 wrote:

Only when the set screw came loose from the drive gear. Once tightened, no problems.
Is the problem on the first layer? Or does it not even feed if raised off the platform?

Thanks for the follow up. I too tightened this set screw and the next print (the basic bolt) the material jammed around the teeth of the feeder (not all the way around mind you, but enough to hold a bend in the line)

Solidoodle Press
SolidWorks 2014

7 (edited by bot719 2015-01-18 15:48:24)

If I understand correctly it sounds like the problem is in the hot end, not the feed gear/motor.
Can you push the filament through by hand when you hold the lever open and the hot end is at temperature? You should be able to.
If not one of three things is probably the issue:
1. The filament is getting hung on the edge of the hot end. If you cut the leading edge on a slight angle before feeding it helps.
2. The hot end is not hot enough.
3. The tip is clogged. It only takes a small piece of debris to clog it.

Also watch the temperature of the extruder. Too hot can be a problem as well as too cold. Although this seems to cause issues later in a print, if the hot end is too hot it starts to melt a little too much of the plastic and so you end up driving the filament into a pool of plastic and it will not push out of the nozzle.

bot719 wrote:

If I understand correctly it sounds like the problem is in the hot end, not the feed gear/motor.
Can you push the filament through by hand when you hold the lever open and the hot end is at temperature? You should be able to.

Discovered that the over-heating issue happens when the printer sits idling for too long. And it only takes a little manual push to get it going again. So I completely agree with the hot end being at fault, but just for this instance. I've had this same problem arise for a simple bolt part only 10 min into the print with the material lid shut. With this lid open I've succeeded with 2 parts taking over an hour each.
I simply think that the number of bends in the material cause the issue, but I also trust your judgment so perhaps I'll run again with the heat sink cover off to keep the material cool before reaching the hot end??

Solidoodle Press
SolidWorks 2014