1 (edited by thatdecade 2015-02-03 19:46:25)

Topic: Press Calibration Instructions

Included documentation says to perform calibration, but does not provide any instructions to do so. lol.  Below is what I've gathered.

Getting Started
1. Install drivers and soliprint software
2. Open the printer lid and examine the extruder head, locate the small hand tab on the left side. This will dock / undock the Z-axis sensor sled. Press this down to manually engage the probe.
3. Connect printer to PC and power on.
4. Open soliprint and begin heating up the printer

Calibration Steps
5. Tools > Printer Config
6. Use the axis sliders to ensure that the printer responds to GCode commands.
Note: Beware the Y axis as the head moves backwards, the cable bundle can get caught. Manually lift the cable bundle out of the way as this occurs during calibration.

7. Press the Home button for each axis individually. Wait for each one to complete before continuing. The head will move to each extreme, pressing into the zeroing switches.
Note: The Z axis needs the head probe down (Z-axis sensor sled). Manually press this down before sending the Z axis to Home.

8. Leave the Config window open so you can watch the command log

Z-Offset Calibration
9. Your printer should be heated up now. Run the Z-Offset Calibration.
Note: The Z-axis sensor sled should automatically lower / raise during this. If not, you will need to manually push it down before running calibration.

10. Wait for calibration to run and finish while watching that rear cable bundle, lifting it out of the way as needed.
11. The Z-Offset window will fill with numbers. Calibration is complete when the window will let you restart calibration "Run Calibration Test" button is active.

Choosing a New Z-Offset Selection
12. After running the calibration test look at the pattern that your press printed.  Choose the line that looks the best, click the corresponding checkbox, then click Set New Z-Offset.

In the example picture below, you would choose +0.1 as the best.  Look for good adhesion and flow. No curling. Even strip of plastic with little smearing.  Good rule is to pick the longest and most bold line.

Fine Tuning your Z-Offset
After saving your initial z-offset calibration, you can run the test again and fine tune your calibration from 0.1mm to 0.01mm.

13. Clear your glass bed of the previous print and prepare to print again.
14. Click the Fine Tune checkbox. 
15. Click the Run Calibration Test button again.
16. Choose the best printed line and press the Set New Z-Offset button.

krel wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/9WLLVC1.png
http://i.imgur.com/A4y7Am0.jpg

Note on Retries
If at any time you restart the calibration process or pull power, you will need to both restart the soliprint software and unplug / reconnect the usb cable.

Reset Printer to Factory Settings
The calibration data and z offsets are stored in the printer's eeprom and will be remembered after power cycle, or switching printing software.  To erase you calibration data and start over, use the gcode console and send codes M502 and M500.

More Information
The firmware for the Solidoodle Press is open source and has its own wiki.  The wiki page for Marlin has lots of great info.
http://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin … eveling.md

Re: Press Calibration Instructions

There seems to be a flaw in the Soliprint software where I can't actually adjust the Z offset after the calibration is completed. I select a line and click the broken-looking button to set new offset but nothing happens. Luckily my printer doesn't need much of a Z offset, but it's a pretty bad bug.

(I'm on OS X)

mikeflynn wrote:

There seems to be a flaw in the Soliprint software where I can't actually adjust the Z offset after the calibration is completed. I select a line and click the broken-looking button to set new offset but nothing happens. Luckily my printer doesn't need much of a Z offset, but it's a pretty bad bug.

(I'm on OS X)

Try restarting the software, perhaps a couple of times and redo the process.

I *used* to work on that software. When I had my hands on it, this would resolve the bug.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Anyone want to share their calibration numbers? I'm stilling having issues of the bed to high at 7mm offset.

Rostock Max, Da Vinci 1.0 XYZ 0.92 Firmware, Solidoodle Press

Here's mine.  I chose +0.1, so I am at 4.50.  Going to run it again, I'm wondering if perhaps I should be right between 4.40 and 4.50?

http://i.imgur.com/9WLLVC1.png
http://i.imgur.com/A4y7Am0.jpg

In addition to this, I did an extruder calibration, as is described for older solidoodle printers.  this helped a lot.

From another thread:

krel wrote:

I googled calibrating the extruder, is this link accurate?  http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- … /?ALLSTEPS Or do you have a better one?

I followed these instructions to calibrate my Press.  The default value was 138, the calibrated value was 100.  This made a HUGE difference in printing, however it almost made it use too little filament.  Possibly because the Slic3r value for Extrusion multiplier is set to .7 in Soliprint.

Changing it to 1.0 resulted in slightly too much material though... I'm not sure how to proceed, but it definitely made a difference.

Also, unfortunately Soliprint resets the value every time I load a model.. I'm not sure where it stores its default values.

7 (edited by jagowilson 2015-01-22 03:56:06)

Follow these instructions for calibrating the extrusion multiplier. I am sad they did not calibrate this for you folks, it is incredibly important!!

https://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/20 … flow-rate/

Update: I've seen a lot of press users getting 100 steps per mm.

Updated first post with additional steps.  You need to choose the correct z offset after running calibration.

9 (edited by Alab Kim 2015-01-21 13:38:32)

this thread needs to be sticky-ed.
Great Job Sir. I'm still waiting for my press to arrive. (Singapore)

jagowilson wrote:

Follow these instructions for calibrating the extrusion multiplier. 100 steps seems a little low also, try 105. I am sad they did not calibrate this for you folks, it is incredibly important!!

https://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/20 … flow-rate/

My printer was set at 138 steps with the stock filament.

Alab Kim wrote:

this thread needs to be sticky-ed.
Great Job Sir. I'm still waiting for my press to arrive. (Singapore)

Done!

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Warning to anyone adjusting the steps/mm in Repetier Host. 

Lowering the Steps/mm on the X axis will result in the probe not deploying, which can lead to a Z crash.

What do I do if the z axis just keeps trying to crash into the extruder?

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
- Mark Twain... maybe.

itscbj wrote:

What do I do if the z axis just keeps trying to crash into the extruder?

The switch on the left side of the extruder needs to be down before you home z.  Black plastic horizontal tab at the top left, it slides up and down.

The z probe should automatically extend / retract during calibration.  You can manually press the z probe down before the bed rises.  The probe is located on the left side of the extruder.

If the probe extended but the bed still crashes, you may have a loose wire or broken wire or broken probe switch.  Fix yourself or contact solidoodle support.

thatdecade wrote:

The z probe should automatically extend / retract during calibration.  You can manually press the z probe down before the bed rises.  The probe is located on the left side of the extruder.

If the probe extended but the bed still crashes, you may have a loose wire or broken wire or broken probe switch.  Fix yourself or contact solidoodle support.

Got it.

Printing now. Thanks!!!

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
- Mark Twain... maybe.

Official instructions are now a lot better and cover much of this.
Solidoodle Press Getting Started

This section is particularly great smile

First Calibration

• Every Solidoodle Press is tested for quality, but the unit may still need some out-of-the-box calibration

• Select Z-Offset calibration and a new window will pop up:

http://support.solidoodle.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/201912130/8__2_.png

• Click the “Run Calibration Test” button to begin.

http://support.solidoodle.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/201912140/9__2_.png

• The printer will extrude a series of lines all at various Z heights, the middle line represents the current Z-offset value; to the left are lower values and to the right are higher.

• Find the line that looks like it adhered the best and is the most consistent, select the check box below it, and click the “Set New Z-Offset” button to save the new Z-Offset value.

http://support.solidoodle.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/201912150/10__2_.png

18 (edited by jtokash 2015-01-27 04:49:54)

Here's mine.  Not sure if it's relevant, but glue stick didn't work at all for me - had to upgrade to hair spray.

Update: None of those options looked good to me, so I changed my offset from 3.2 to 3.9 using the Fine Tuning field.  I've done a couple small to medium prints since then with good results.

Post's attachments

Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 7.51.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 7.51.55 PM.png 69.02 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-01-25 

SolidoodlePressZCalibration.jpg 120.33 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

How do I calibrate X, Y & Z sizes?
My parts seem to print 5% short and 10% width in x & y.
Not so coinceidentally, my sidewalls are a a bit starved on a single wall print.

I'm using soliprint, so it would pribably mean poking some gcode in?

trayracing wrote:

How do I calibrate X, Y & Z sizes?
My parts seem to print 5% short and 10% width in x & y.
Not so coinceidentally, my sidewalls are a a bit starved on a single wall print.

I'm using soliprint, so it would pribably mean poking some gcode in?

I'm seeing similar issues with model-print differences being about .020" shrunk in X & Y

Solidoodle Press
SolidWorks 2014

I calibrating my extruder on my Press (I got 97.01) using Repetier Host and using the instructable listed above. I didn't see a way to do it using Soliprint. Is Soliprint to "simplified" to be able to do that calibration? Or does the firmware update carry over to Soliprint?

Additionally, a few questions. Do I have to recalibrate for each different filament I use? Do I have to recalibrate for setting the extruder at different temperatures?

I've been trying to calibrate the Z-offset, but for some reason clicking the 'Run Calibration Test' button does nothing.  I tried turning the log on before running the calibration test in it's reporting 'file not found' error.  This is on a win XP machine.  Is there something missing in my install? 
Since it took so long for me to get my printer, I'm using the soliprint 1.1, but even trying to install the version 1.0 and have the same issue.

android78 wrote:

I've been trying to calibrate the Z-offset, but for some reason clicking the 'Run Calibration Test' button does nothing.  I tried turning the log on before running the calibration test in it's reporting 'file not found' error.  This is on a win XP machine.  Is there something missing in my install? 
Since it took so long for me to get my printer, I'm using the soliprint 1.1, but even trying to install the version 1.0 and have the same issue.

One thing that's not immediately apparent is that the printer will not start printing until the Extruder and the Bed have reached the designated temps.  The first thing you should do when you start up SoliPrint is click the "Heat Printer" button because it can take 5-10 mins for the bed to heat up to 90c.

From what I can tell, tweaking bed adhesion using zoffset is a hack. What you really want is a bit extra plastic for the nozzle height, to cause a little extra squish for a better grip. Rather than factor that into the slice, SP zoffset calibration is getting you to set the nozzle height a bit too low by tweaking zoffset.

You can verify this with a feeler gauge. Just take something (heat safe) and measure it with calipers. Command the extruder to that height, and try and slide it under. Then raise the extruder a bit and retry until you find the amount the zoffset is off. If you switch to another slicer in ypur tool chain, you'll want to set your Z offset accurately.

cptskippy wrote:
android78 wrote:

One thing that's not immediately apparent is that the printer will not start printing until the Extruder and the Bed have reached the designated temps.  The first thing you should do when you start up SoliPrint is click the "Heat Printer" button because it can take 5-10 mins for the bed to heat up to 90c.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried that before posting a comment. 
I really think the issue is to do with the software as I mentioned previously, the log is showing 'file not found' error.  Is everyone else using the new version of soliprint?