Topic: 3DP01_FW_V1.2.4.bin

So I noticed XYZ support released a new firmware yesterday... Anyone know what it does exactly?

2 (edited by scobo 2015-01-13 18:43:59)

Re: 3DP01_FW_V1.2.4.bin

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say try to further lock down your printer to prevent you from using 3rd party filament. roll

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

It probably has spyware installed that reports to the Obama Admin if you try to use other filament.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I attempted to start the upgrade, but it said I was already running the newest firmware,, which it says 1.0.3.. Hmmm.

carl_m1968 wrote:

It probably has spyware installed that reports to the Obama Admin if you try to use other filament.

big_smile I cackled

Repinci 1.0 + Repetier host

That's because you have the latest gen 1.0 printer.  Firmware 1.2.4 is for the earlier gen 1.0.

rv.mike wrote:

I attempted to start the upgrade, but it said I was already running the newest firmware,, which it says 1.0.3.. Hmmm.

7 (edited by boxcarmib 2015-01-14 03:29:11)

MONSTER FAIL

behavior so far for change cart.
on unload, fan comes on, heater turns off... drops temperature to 130 degrees, LCD changes to "Pull out filament"... though um, extruder motor never starts up.
on load, heats all the way up to 230

so i guess the new firmware is fine as long as you can wait till the end of your cartridge and only ever feed new stuff in.

so they like bricked my printer. Thanks XYZ.

I guess they don't even test their software any more.

8 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-01-14 04:55:40)

boxcarmib wrote:

MONSTER FAIL

behavior so far for change cart.
on unload, fan comes on, heater turns off... drops temperature to 130 degrees, LCD changes to "Pull out filament"... though um, extruder motor never starts up.
on load, heats all the way up to 230

so i guess the new firmware is fine as long as you can wait till the end of your cartridge and only ever feed new stuff in.

so they like bricked my printer. Thanks XYZ.

I guess they don't even test their software any more.

Your symptoms sound like when you put the wrong version on the wrong machine.  Remember the boards and pilots of the boards have changed. What works on a 1.0 will not work on a 1.0A or higher.

Did you update through XYZware or Arduino.  XYZ ware should check one to make sure what you are installing a newer version and two that the version is compatible with yours.  I am worried that they may have written off and cut support for the 1.0 since it is last gen stuff and over a year old.  That being the case the software could see a new version on the server and try to install it regardless of compatibility based on the fact all current releases use the same board and firmware except the 1.0...

I have a 1.0 machine and updated through XYZware which told me there was an upgrade available. (I was running 1.2.3)
So I guess I'll reflash the firmware and downgrade to 1.1.J and see where that leads me.

boxcarmib wrote:

I have a 1.0 machine and updated through XYZware which told me there was an upgrade available. (I was running 1.2.3)
So I guess I'll reflash the firmware and downgrade to 1.1.J and see where that leads me.

I have updated to the new firmware... the result is that the printer started to reset when printing with the Simplify3d software...so i decided to downgrade the firmware with xyzware 1.0.0.23 but the printer refused to downgrade because the firmware is a "previous version".
Now what is the procedure to come back to 1.1.j?

11 (edited by boxcarmib 2015-01-14 20:17:17)

You can get the information/files you need etc. from...

http://www.wctek.com/shop/content/9-downloads

grab the first file DAVINCI_1_0_RESET.zip

The instructions are kinda fuzzy, but I managed to muddle through it eventually.

PLUS its tragic that they're programmers are directed to focus all their efforts on doing things like making sure that no one uses anything but their cartridges, and now with the Simplify3D 'patch' to make sure you have to use their XYZware.

what a bunch of clowns.

Simple fix,  get a different controller.  As I said in another thread. Aside from their custom board and firmware,  the Da Vinci 1.0 is just a basic vanilla printer and any controller will work in it. I am swapping mine out for an Azteeg X5 mini by Panucatt Devices.

Yeah, I'm very close to doing that... I'm very interested in your experiences with a new controller... please keep us posted.

PLUS its tragic that they're programmers are directed to focus all their efforts on doing things like making sure that no one uses anything but their cartridges, and now with the Simplify3D 'patch' to make sure you have to use their XYZware.
what a bunch of clowns.

What is the Simplify3D 'patch' remark.  I was getting ready to purchase a copy of Simplify3D, will it no longer work with the newest firmware on the 1.0A?

Thanks

boxcarmib wrote:

You can get the information/files you need etc. from...

http://www.wctek.com/shop/content/9-downloads

grab the first file DAVINCI_1_0_RESET.zip

The instructions are kinda fuzzy, but I managed to muddle through it eventually.

what a bunch of clowns.

Yeah, never mind trying to improve the performance of the printer for our customers, lets just make sure they're trapped into using our stuff.
Nice one xyz, great business model there ! roll

arrakis001...

fabio.mastromauro wrote "I have updated to the new firmware... the result is that the printer started to reset when printing with the Simplify3d software."

This would indicate to me that XYZ has indeed issued a firmware update to prevent Simplify3d's current direct control of the printer. (Which is a very handy feature of Simplify3d).

I presume one can still use Simplify3d (or in fact ANY slicer) to export a G-CODE file which XYZware currently allows. But the way things are going, it probably won't be long before they prevent the importing of non XYZware gcode as well.

This'll be the first and last xyz product I buy if this is how they reward us for our custom !

Well they just lost a sale of the SLA printer when it was ready. I had planned on buying the SLA printer they showed at CES but not now.

19 (edited by TuckerBadger 2015-01-14 22:08:34)

Monster fail #2, came here looking to see if it was me.

Total stock printer and cartridges for me. 1.0  Did my last print a few days ago on 1.2.3 with no issues. Went to do a print today and I let XYZWARE make on update to 1.2.4 firmware

XYZWARE is reporting it can't read my cartridge serial number and suggesting I buy a geniue XYZ cartridge. Even kind enough to give me a link.  Note that I hadn't touched the cartridge since last time and plenty of filament in it.

Power cycled and reseated  the cartridge. Still getting the XYZWARE message.   Went to unload the cartridge and the change cart unload function isn't working anymore. Heats the filament but fails to back it out.

Reported it to XYZ and while they did get back to me, they are wanting me to send them pictures of my invoice??  Still trying to extract a coherent answer out of them (I reported the problem and asked how to go back to 1.2.3 firmware)

That should be easyly fix-able by s3d guys. Just allows the program to set a 'custom' header on the gcode that it sends to add it. On my aio when I did send something from s3d it does that 'reset' think. But a fast copy/paste drag & drop to xyzware (on mac doenst need to 64code and on windows there are modded xyzwares) and I was happy enough. S3D guya must add a custom 'header' so the davincis eat their gcode no matter what and all fixed. Anyhow Xyz it's showing that they care more about their stuff than the customers and that's not a good sign. I'll go repetier as soon as duo 2.0A it's more supported smile

I bought it because it was cheap and was my first 3D printer. The chipped stuff as a practical matter doesn't bother me since I don't print enough for it to be an impact  (but I fully agree it's a very bad business model).

Now that I have a problem they have me swinging in the wind. Tech support has gone dark and phone calls to support are just going to the generic voice mail that doesn't seem to work. Giving them the benefit of the doubt perhaps they are swamped but no mechanism to back load old firmware just isn't acceptable.

The fast sollition could be (if they still dont record on the eprom -they shouldn't because shortens the eprom life-) you could go back printing by firewalling xyzprogram. But first unisntall it. I remeber reading a post that on windows (I use osx with little snitch to firewall) they 'write' the serial numbers of the cartridge that you use and check them via internet (they spy on your serials) and if the serial it's blacklisted they stop your print.

So...

1. Uninstall xyzware (full cleanup)
2. Firewall program up
3. Install xyzware stopping all his little chats with xyzservers
4. Print again (unless they write something on the eprom or sd card inside the board)

I really hope this works for you smile

Neotko wrote:

The fast sollition could be (if they still dont record on the eprom -they shouldn't because shortens the eprom life-) you could go back printing by firewalling xyzprogram. But first unisntall it. I remeber reading a post that on windows (I use osx with little snitch to firewall) they 'write' the serial numbers of the cartridge that you use and check them via internet (they spy on your serials) and if the serial it's blacklisted they stop your print.

So...

2. Firewall program up
4. Print again (unless they write something on the eprom or sd card inside the board)

Nope tried all that and same reaction. If I have to spend my time with the hardware hack mentioned earlier in this thread I am done with Da Vinci.

24 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-01-15 01:01:54)

TuckerBadger wrote:
Neotko wrote:

So...

2. Firewall program up

Nope tried all that and same reaction. If I have to spend my time with the hardware hack mentioned earlier in this thread I am done with Da Vinci.

Hardware wise it is a good solid machine. It should serve you well for several years. The issue is to get it XYZ devil out of it. To do that you have a few choices. Flash the firmware to Repetier firmware, change the controller for one of the many open source controllers out there. For the price, the hardware alone is worth it.

I also think people have the wrong idea of what to expect from a 3D printer.  It is a hobby and still not yet a consumer product although it is close. We are still several years away from the Epson or HP of 3D printers where you just plug it in, hook up your PC and press print.

3D printers even now still require TLC, constant fiddling and mods, and like any hobby always have room for and will be needed to have upgrades and after market parts installed. If you bought the Da Vinci or Solid Doodle or even a Makerbot thinking it was good to go and you just had to load it and print I hate to break it to you but you may want to box it back up and return it as that is never going to be the 3D printing world any time soon.

They need constant upkeep, they need upgrades and after market parts to get the best results possible. They have parts that will break and will need to be repaired or replaced.

In the case of the Da Vinci if you want max performance you will need to jail break it. That means getting away from their firmware and host. Then later adding a better hot end and maybe even a better extruder.

Your right about that, Carl.