Topic: Error code 014

anyone know what would cause an error code 14? I was about 3 hours into a 6 hour print and heard the printer doing some wierd stuff so I went to see. when I got to it the extruder was not moving and there was a error code 014 on the screen. I looked it up in the manual and it said "The temperature of extruder reach to warning range limited" does anyone know the cause of this? I am reluctant to retry the print in fear of wasting more filament without knowing the cause.

Da Vinci 1.0 stock firmware and stock xyzware.
3D printer Noob.
Stock ABS filaments

2 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-01-10 03:10:40)

Re: Error code 014

That means your extruder reached the max safety limit and was shut down. Now unless you smelled plastic burning this was not the actual case. What normally happens here is one of two things all having to do with your thermistor.

Either the insulation on one of the wires has slipped back and it is now touching the brass body of the heater block, or both wires insulation has slipped back and they are both now touching.

To understand the logic you need to know how a thermistor works. It is a resistor who's resistance changes based on temperature. The hotter it get the lower the resistance. Likewise the cooler the higher it goes. The mainboard interprets this higher resistance as a temperature value. Now if the thermistor wires short to each other or to the heater block then this is seen as a complete short or nearly no resistance. The machine sees this as a temperature that is off the scale and exceeds the preset safety limit which I believe is 250 on stock firmware.

If you have a DMM you could unplug the wires at the top of the extruder and measure across them to see if there is any resistance. At room temp the resistance should be around 100K ohms. If it checks OK there, then measure between each wire and the brass heat block. There you should get a very high if not infinite resistance.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I think that was it. I looked at the thermistor wires and they were bent fairly tight around the corner of the hole that it sits in. I think the insulation got worked through just enough to short the wires. thanks for the guidance to look there!

Da Vinci 1.0 stock firmware and stock xyzware.
3D printer Noob.
Stock ABS filaments

Hi all I have error 14 which appears for several days I have to change thermistor several times but nothing do. The fan of the module does not turn all the time here if someone can help me will be nice
thank you in advance

@nicostaf, what kind of printer is it?  Mine is a Da Vinci Jr 1.0 and it has had that problem as well.  XYZ Printing said the only thing I could do is buy a new extruder, which I did, and guess what?  It did not fix the problem...which I kind of knew to be the case.  Now I have to return the extruder and of course not get reimbursed the pretty high shipping they charge.  My only option is to convert the printer to ramps or send my unit in to get fixed out of warranty (which I'm not going to do because who knows how much they will charge me and with the low cost of printers these days I'd rather buy a new one). That may be your option as well.