Re: E3D's Volcano - High Speed Printing!

It looks like the heater cartridge in held vertically, or am I looking at it wrong?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

That is correct.

I can't a picture of an assembled volcano, but  mounted that way, how much bed clearance would there be even with the heater leads bent 90 degrees?

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Heater comes out the other end.

Volcanos arrived from E3D this morning, packing them up now and will have them to the post office by COB.

I got my Eruption package today. I'll toss it on tonight and post some results unless someone beats me to it wink

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

You should do an unboxing video wink

AZERATE wrote:

I got my Eruption package today. I'll toss it on tonight and post some results unless someone beats me to it wink

An unfortunate side effect of living so far north... I haven't gotten mine yet.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:

An unfortunate side effect of living so far north... I haven't gotten mine yet.

Neener neener neener wink

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

Ah, go break another Rumba tongue

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I can confirm first hand that it fits the v5 perfectly fine
http://i.imgur.com/0nk8JQi.jpg

Shamelessly sharing my progress, I present the worst to best
http://i.imgur.com/HfnRUVq.jpg

Fortunately wardjr and jagowilson were able to help me with this think they call "math". wink
I am still working out kinks, but very optimistic.

Two important points I would like to point out for initial assembly:
1)Even with a printed extended Z tab, you will need to flip a 20mm M3 so that the bottom is nearly flush with the top in order to hit the endstop. This can only be confirmed for the v5 for the moment
2)When sliding the heater through the block, make sure it does not slide. Too far up, and it will hit the lower fin of the heatsink. And going too low is not an option since the wires must be higher than the nozzle (refer to photo 1)

I think the heatblock is supposed to be flipped the other way...?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Xo-JTAWGEv8/VJtODw9paUI/AAAAAAABERI/lqVHqNGWRX4/w1077-h808-no/2014-12-24%2B14.58.53.jpg

Just got done flipping it. The heater wires were so stiff I worried breaking them.
This makes more sense and I always thought this was how it was designed.

Thanks again Tim!

Got any more test prints to share?  Something like a nice big vase or functional object?  I really want a workbench printer with the volcano so I can print big stuff like desk organizers and such.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

I am almost done with a long mod/swap between to printers. I swapped the Volcano into a SD2 I assembled and modded right out the gate, so I hope to be able to share more tomorrow once everything is fine tuned.

What I can say is that the claims of strength are no joke. I had a failed print at about 8 layers with the 1mm nozzle/.4 layer height. Once it cooled, I tried to break it. Then I REALLY tried to break it. Then I brought it to work and let my "I love to break printed parts" boss try.
A couple faint stress lines are all that show.

I finally got back to raleigh. It sat in my mailbox for almost 3 weeks and unfortunately the envelope got a bit damp but the actual volcano and its parts seem fine. I put it in a box with some damp rid for a few days just to be safe. Eventually I'll get around to using it.

Anyone got prints to show yet? AZERATE showed me some from his last night and they look good, curious what others are up to with it.

Sorry for the delay...imgur app on my phone keeps crashing and the site is freezing up. Once I can get it to work, I'll be able to post a few results.

Got mine today.  Installing now!

This was actually the first print on a DIY SD2 I just fired up yesterday, so I still need to tinker a little bit.
http://i.imgur.com/gAOStXZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2Ta4H2F.jpg
I had zero lifting at .4 layer height and 40% infill. That isn't much, but it is still rather impressive considering the size of the nozzle. This was with a 1mm nozzle.

A calibration cube from last week with my other unit
http://i.imgur.com/U4lsxYY.jpg

Over extrusion is not an option with the Volcano. If the nozzle snags the slightest hump, you will have a layer shift. The added length has me concerned for snapping the heatbreak if it catches a nasty hump. Personally, I've found slowing down extrusion speed and letting the design of the vertical heater do its job gives much better results than my settings for other nozzles.
And don't forget to play with that extrusion multiplier! wink

Sweet powdercoating!

elmoret wrote:

Sweet powdercoating!

wink
Check out the Projects thread

I have not gotten to installing mine yet...actually never even opened the package tongue hopefully this weekend big_smile

Q. Is the Volcano Heater cartridge and thermistor the same as the stock v6?

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Yep.

49 (edited by IronMan 2015-01-08 18:58:49)

So I don't have to reroute new wires back to the RAMPS board?

SWEET!  big_smile

Another question...I know they don't offer one, but would the Volcano Heater block (heat) output tolerate a 0.4 nozzle (if it were the correct body length) or would that cause insufficient material flow and result in burns and clogs?

You see where I'm going with this...

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

I've thought about that a couple times. But I would think it would clog and burn as you mentioned. Instead of the filament passing a short strip of the heater (like on the v5/6), it passes alongside it to melt the material at a faster rate.
I'm no engineer, but I play one in real life wink

I am sure Tim could clarify.