Topic: Aftermarket Filament Kit

I just uploaded this to Thingiverse today.  It works great so far!  Thanks XYZ for making the Da Vinci enclosure big enough to store filament INSIDE of the machine!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:592197

Re: Aftermarket Filament Kit

Awesome! any feedback on the top "Filament Distributor" would be great.  I think I want to make it a little taller.

rawkstar320 wrote:

I just uploaded this to Thingiverse today.  It works great so far!  Thanks XYZ for making the Da Vinci enclosure big enough to store filament INSIDE of the machine!

The instructions seem a bit, well lacking.  Can you elaborate on them as I would love to print one, but the only thing I can seem to figure out is where the hoop and distributor go.  The assembly of the spool holder and the exact location of the hoop seem to elude me, despite the pictures.

ShadowWizard wrote:
rawkstar320 wrote:

The instructions seem a bit, well lacking.  Can you elaborate on them as I would love to print one, but the only thing I can seem to figure out is where the hoop and distributor go.  The assembly of the spool holder and the exact location of the hoop seem to elude me, despite the pictures.

I havn't really had time to go back and write better instructions - I actually have some major changes to make to my designs.

-The assembly of the spool holder should be straightforward: two side pieces + 4 straight bushings + 2 'curved' bushings all held together with 2 colored pencils.  The pencils should fit tightly into the side pieces.  the spool holder will now fit against the LEFT side of the machine - with the (2) side tabs fitting into the plastic ribs in the casing.

- the "hoop" and corner cap should be glued together and press fit into the LEFT REAR corner pocket of the Da Vinci. (There are 4 such pockets currently, one in each corner of the machine.  Most people already have corner caps to keep plastic from falling through these holes)

- the Distributor [funnel shaped thing] (this part needs some major updates) should fit easily into the hole directly ABOVE the Z axis screw.

This weekend I will try to make the updates and document the installation a little better.  Good luck!

I downloaded this yesterday and plan to print them out tonight. Love the design.  smile

Awesome!  the only problems Ive had are that hot glue (even high temp, which adheres VERY well to ABS) just doesnt hold up inside of the printer enclosure.  My new design will have "snaps" to hold everything together (hopefully).  :-)

7 (edited by rawkstar320 2014-12-19 12:15:45)

team3 wrote:

I love this idea!  I cannot leave anything alone tho'.
Just doin' some tryouts.  The goal here is to give the filament a closed path.  The mock-up is working fine on a print right now.
1/2 inch water line.

Thats much cleaner, I like the height of the exit end a lot better, my version feels too short.  The water line is probably easier to thread the filament through as well.

Also, I can't really tell but I thread my filament off of the roll - then UNDER the pencil axle.  This keeps the forces more lateral so that it is less likely to pull the filament spool off of the pencils.

Update:

I have  included new files so that everything "snaps" together.  You may still need glue on the "filament distributor" funnel part though.

Have you people not tried to pull the xyz filament cartridge apart?
It splits easily and the connector lugs look like they can handle many openings.
The counter chip looks like an EEPROM, but with only three pins?

team3 wrote:

I have an outside spool holder and this looked like an interesting project to try.  I have no desire to crack open a box, wind filament from a 1k gram spool to a 600 gram spool and snap the box back when I can just simply load the spool of my picking with ease.

Tried this, not a way I like to spend an hour. I am going with a PEEK J-head and Bowden setup. Will propaply opt to keep the spool inside as well.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

My original plan was to refill the cartridges. But (a) it requires a lot of work and (b) you have to buy more cartridges, which is expensive.