Topic: Network printing?

just wondering if there is anyway to print over the network to my da vinci.

Da Vinci 1.0 stock firmware and stock xyzware.
3D printer Noob.
Stock ABS filaments

Re: Network printing?

I use Google Remote Desktop to network my printer (keep it out in the shed with a webcam to monitor progress).  Let's me monitor and even tweak the settings as if I was there.  Just need to figure out how to change out the base plates after a print...

I'm on the stock firmware and use an old netbook connected permanently to the printer via usb.
I use Teamviewer remote control software to connect to the netbook so I can control the printer from anywhere over the web. You can even use a phone or tablet with the Teamviewer app to control the netbook.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

There is a 'new' DaVinci 1.1 (and a 2.1 for the dual filament) in QTR1 2015 with built-in Android screen / Wifi connectivity

https://onedrive.live.com/download?resi … C79827!446

Hey Scobo,
Teamviewer sounds exactly like the Google remote desktop but I was wondering how you move the mouse when using a smart phone or tablet with a touch screen.  My one complaint with Google Remote Desktop is when I use my finger or stylus to move the mouse, it doesn't snap to where you point but rather treats the screen like a touch pad (have to drag the pointer around instead of having it just go where you point).  How does the Teamviewer input work?  If they let me use the touch screen like a touch screen rather than a touch pad that would be enough to make me switch.

Teamviewer for the ipad has 2 modes, touch screen and the method you described where you drag the mouse around.
Give it a go, it's free !  wink

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

Dang.  Looks like the Android app (v10) doesn't have the touch screen feature.  :-(

8 (edited by dnaman 2015-03-10 22:21:52)

Just found this thread. I note that all the suggestions involve virtual network computing of some kind where the slicing software is running on the computer to which the 3D-printer is connected as usual, and the second computer is used as a remote terminal for that installation.

What I'm looking for is a rather different form of network printing. I want to run the slicing software on the remote computer (in my den at the top of the house) then print directly from there to the 3D-printer/computer combination located in the basement (rather like having a regular printer connected to one computer and then sharing the printer with other computers on the network). There's an implication that this could be done because under "Printer Monitor" in XYZWare, there are options of "USB" and "Network".

[ Up to now I've printed from the machine in the basement. The .3W files I've either generated on that machine or on the machine in the den, stored them on a network drive them picked them up from the basement machine. But I've run into a problem: although the basement machine nominally conforms to XYZWare's Open-GL minimum requirement and has been fine up to now, it's recently been giving me errors - Open-GL not good enough - on some complex parts. The XYZWare on the machine in the den is unphased by these parts (it's a seriously better system). The ideal solution would be to simply print from the den computer via the network ..... if I could figure out how ].

dnaman wrote:

Just found this thread. I note that all the suggestions involve virtual network computing of some kind where the slicing software is running on the computer to which the 3D-printer is connected as usual, and the second computer is used as a remote terminal for that installation.

What I'm looking for is a rather different form of network printing. I want to run the slicing software on the remote computer (in my den at the top of the house) then print directly from there to the 3D-printer/computer combination located in the basement (rather like having a regular printer connected to one computer and then sharing the printer with other computers on the network). There's an implication that this could be done because under "Printer Monitor" in XYZWare, there are options of "USB" and "Network".

[ Up to now I've printed from the machine in the basement. The .3W files I've either generated on that machine or on the machine in the den, stored them on a network drive them picked them up from the basement machine. But I've run into a problem: although the basement machine nominally conforms to XYZWare's Open-GL minimum requirement and has been fine up to now, it's recently been giving me errors - Open-GL not good enough - on some complex parts. The XYZWare on the machine in the den is unphased by these parts (it's a seriously better system). The ideal solution would be to simply print from the den computer via the network ..... if I could figure out how ].

Just use teamviewer and run the printer computer remotely from upstairs. You can even run it from your Android phone if you put the teamviewer app on your phone.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I've been using the xyzhub from wctek for the past week on mine.  It works pretty well.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Just use teamviewer and run the printer computer remotely from upstairs. You can even run it from your Android phone if you put the teamviewer app on your phone.

Unless I'm missing something, teamviewer is simply a remote desktop (virtual network) connection - similar to RealVNC which I already have - that allows me to see and and manipulate the downstairs computer (that's connected to the 3D-printer) from upstairs. I would still have to run XYZWare on that downstairs computer.

I went to some lengths in my post to explain why that wouldn't work for me. I need to run XYZWare on the upstairs computer but print to the DaVinci attached to the downstairs computer.

dnaman wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, teamviewer is simply a remote desktop (virtual network) connection - similar to RealVNC which I already have - that allows me to see and and manipulate the downstairs computer (that's connected to the 3D-printer) from upstairs. I would still have to run XYZWare on that downstairs computer.

I went to some lengths in my post to explain why that wouldn't work for me. I need to run XYZWare on the upstairs computer but print to the DaVinci attached to the downstairs computer.

The slicer does not need to be on a computer that is connected to the printer. Just make a folder on the printer downstairs with full read/write share access. Slice the file upstairs with preferred slicer. Then move the file over the network to the shared folder. The remote access the pc downstairs. Start up the host, load the file from the shared folder and your good. Same thing you want, just slight variation.

If you're on the stock firmware, then the only thing I can think of is - as Carl suggested - hooking up an old computer or laptop, putting XYZWare on it and using a remote screen viewer application (there are many to choose from). You can upload the sliced files and import them into XYZWare and print normally from there.

However, if you install the Repetier firmware, you can use the excellent Octoprint. In my case, it's running on a $35 Raspberry Pi installed in the printer itself. I do all my setup and slicing on my laptop, then upload the sliced code files by the web interface that allows for full control of the printer's functionality. I also have a webcam attached to the RasPi so I can monitor prints remotely. I routinely start, monitor and abort prints from work.

Davinci Duo, Repetier 0.92, OctoPi

carl_m1968 wrote:

The slicer does not need to be on a computer that is connected to the printer. Just make a folder on the printer downstairs with full read/write share access. Slice the file upstairs with preferred slicer. Then move the file over the network to the shared folder. The remote access the pc downstairs. Start up the host, load the file from the shared folder and your good. Same thing you want, just slight variation.

Nope .... you're still not understanding where I'm coming from. What you describe is my normal method of working (except that I put the sliced files on a NAS box on the network where they are accessible from any computer). I don't care much either way about remote accessing the downstairs computer just to load the file and press the print button.

The problem is, on some complex files, the downstairs installation gives the Open-GL error when I load the file and won't print. It will do this (of course) whether I remote-access it or run downstairs and use it in person. Remote access doesn't change anything.

The file will, however, open quite happily on the upstairs machine (unsurprising actually). If I could carry the printer upstairs and attach it to that machine it would print. if I had a real long USB cable (and if that wasn't outside the USB spec) I could connect it (to the upstairs machine) in its present location but that's not practical.
What I need is a way of sharing that USB port/device from the downstairs machine, over the ethernet to the upstairs machine.

I've done a bit more digging and come up with:

"USB Over Network" or: "USB Network gate"

as possible solutions .... but at a cost.

(I tried to post links but the system keeps barfing on them and I don't have time).

15 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-03-11 01:26:51)

I understand what you want. The issue is that this printer does not show up as a sharable device on its host machine and there is no wsy to change that due to the interface and its driver. So until somebody makes a printer that can be shared from its host machin you are limited in options.

Just offering ideas till a sharable printer is created at a fair price.

montressor wrote:

If you're on the stock firmware, then the only thing I can think of is - as Carl suggested - hooking up an old computer or laptop, putting XYZWare on it and using a remote screen viewer application (there are many to choose from). You can upload the sliced files and import them into XYZWare and print normally from there.

The remote screen viewer is a complete red herring ... it's simply not the issue.

"hooking up an old computer" is highly problematic. I don't think people realise how sensitive XYZWare is to the Open-GL level (or perhaps they don't understand Open-GL or know what it is). If Open_GL isn't up to a certain level, XYZWare won't install/run period. Even if it does meet the minimum level, XYZWare will run for objects up to a certain complexity but fail(apparently) with more complex parts. The computer I have downstairs is my old CAD system and it's no slouch but it fails on this part (it will run with full professional CAD such as Pro/Engineer). Short of spending more money than the DaVinci cost on a new computer to satisfy the Open-GL requirements, it would seem better to simply share the printer USB connection over the internet and RUN from my fast CAD system upstairs (who's Open-GL is up to it).

That's what I was trying to get at in my first post. The remote screen viewer was always irrelevant. Here's what I said at the start:

" I note that all the suggestions involve virtual network computing of some kind where the slicing software is running on the computer to which the 3D-printer is connected as usual, and the second computer is used as a remote terminal for that installation.

What I'm looking for is a rather different form of network printing. "

I am not saying any of those are a solution now. There is no solution as long as the host pc does not show the Da Vinci as a sharable device. Due to the way the printers USB interface works it is only seen as a comport that purpose specific host software can see and use at a local but not network level.

Now you could just jailbreak it. Install Repetier firmware and host and then the opengl factor is no issue since real host use directx.

18 (edited by luc 2015-03-11 03:52:24)

What about using : http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wireless … int+server
like him : http://voltivo.com/forum/davinci2/496-w … ctopi#3829

or

another solution is a RaspberyPi as USBHost server connected to network& printer and using http://www.virtualhere.com/  - I used this before using wifi SD Card - if you use one device on USBHOST it is free, no limit for client

both so can connect from any PC on the network which have the client

19 (edited by dnaman 2015-03-11 21:29:21)

carl_m1968 wrote:

I am not saying any of those are a solution now. There is no solution as long as the host pc does not show the Da Vinci as a sharable device. Due to the way the printers USB interface works it is only seen as a comport that purpose specific host software can see and use at a local but not network level.

Now you could just jailbreak it. Install Repetier firmware and host and then the opengl factor is no issue since real host use directx.

I know about the Repetier/Slic3r approach. In fact I have slic3r installed and have used it to generate some G-Code. However, it is also apparent that (at least in my case - others may be geniuses) there will be a fairly big learning curve. I may well go for this at some point (very likely actually) but I have neither the time nor inclination at this point. I also think that as a solution to this particular problem, it's a sledgehammer/nut situation. Also, given that my computing is and has been largely CAD oriented (and definitely not game-oriented), the video hardware is optimised for Open-GL rather than Directx so that may not be an advantage.

I'm less pessimistic than you that "there is no solution as long as the host pc does not show the Da Vinci as a shareable device". I don't think that precludes sharing the USB port. The hardware that luc points to looks promising and I've obtained trial copies of the driver software that I referred which again look like they might do the job.

I know you've spent some time with me on this, Carl, and I am grateful even though I have been a bit negative to your responses in places. The discussion is useful.

luc wrote:

What about using : .... TRENDnet-Wireless-1-Port-Multi-Function-TEW-MFP1/......

another solution is a RaspberyPi as USBHost server connected to network& printer .......

The TrendNet device certainly looks interesting. It costs a a bit more up here at Amazon Canada than it is on the US site ... and they won't ship here from the US unless things have changed recently. (Actually, if they did it wouldn't be free shipping and there wouldn't be much in it for price in the end). I did however locate, in Canada, the non-wifi version at a considerably better price although shipping will take ~10 days. Non-wifi isn't a problem for me.

The RPi approach looks interesting but I think will be another thing that has a bit of a learning curve for me. I have way too many things happening at once right now. I'll certainly take a look though - thanks luc.

(Sorry to truncate your quotes quite so viciously, luc. I don't know what gives with this site software but it throws up all kinds of errors and won't let me post if there are any urls in the message - even in the quotes. Same thing happened yesterday. The error message I get, in case someone recognises it is (the grammer doesn't make much sense but you get the gist):

"Too more links in message. Allowed 0 links. Reduce number of links and post it again."

Anyone still using XYZhub under MacOS El Capitan 10.11.x?

just got this with great hope only to have problems installing the USB driver to connect to. It appears its not compatible with El Capitan yet.

Nothing on the WCTek website to indicate that there is a problem with current Mac computers or operating systems...

I've tried D-Link dpr-2000 but computer does not see my DaVinci 1.0 Any ideas? Are these print servers any different?

I never did get back about this:

I bought the Trendnet device (TE100-MFP1 USB print server) that luc mentioned.

It was a breeze to set up and has done exactly what I wanted. It's trouble-free and I use it regularly.

Thanks luc!