Topic: Drying PLA on Spool

OK... I know I've seen this somewhere but failed to find it again using the Search above.  I have some Makerbot PLA on spools that we ordered with the printer but the bags were cut/damages when the material arrived.  When trying to print with one of the colors today I kept getting filament jambs on one of the colors.  I want to try drying the material and print again tomorrow but am unsure what temp to use in the oven.  Any advise would help.

If you build it they will come. Then they will make fun of it, tell you it's not worth doing and go home and try to copy you.
If a picture is worth a thousand words then being there is worth a thousand pictures.

(2) Stock Makerbot Z18s, Filastruder w/Melt Filter, Filawinder, Autodesk Inventor Design Suite 2014 .........so far.

Re: Drying PLA on Spool

55-60C. Any higher and you exceed Tg, and the filament will soften/deform/melt.

Dang.... my oven's lowest setting is 170F.

If you build it they will come. Then they will make fun of it, tell you it's not worth doing and go home and try to copy you.
If a picture is worth a thousand words then being there is worth a thousand pictures.

(2) Stock Makerbot Z18s, Filastruder w/Melt Filter, Filawinder, Autodesk Inventor Design Suite 2014 .........so far.

I wouldn't bake plastic in a food oven anyway. Get a toaster oven from Goodwill or something.

I won't have to worry about it once I get my Struder up and running but in the meantime even my toaster oven's lowest setting is warm which is just under 200F.  I'll be using a dehydrator for my extruded PLA.

Most toaster ovens can be set to temperatures lower than what's printed on the dial. You could confirm with an oven thermometer.

It seems like you are locate at a very humid area (by the ocean or lake).

Anyways, this is what I do to dry up of PLA filament.
I store my opened filament inside my electric dehumidifier & i keep them around 10% - 15% humidity level.
I found this is the best way to store my opened filament.  It gives me a perfect print every-time.  Love it~

If you don't have an electric dehumidifier, which not many people have one at home or office.
I would suggested you to try this instead.
You will need a container with lid (water proof = air proof)
package of dehumidifier (also known as desiccant)
You can store all your opened filament inside container along with the desiccant, this will keep your filament as fresh as new.  At least not a moist in open area.

BotFeeder - Professionally Manufactured 3D Filament

I have actually built a homemade system that consists of a Rubbermaid cooler that has been sitting in the garage, a $10 hair dryer from WallyWorld and a Dayton t-stat from the office salvage bin.  I have the stat set to 115 deg. and the hair dryer cycles on-off every 45 mins. or so.  It only runs for about 10-15 seconds at a time and keeps the cooler nice and warm.  I have added some 100 gram desiccant packs I purchased on EBay really cheap.  I'm going to design an interior mounting system for all of the components and post some shots when complete.  After keeping in the cooler for a few days I'll put the rolls of filament in LARGE Ziplock with extra 100 gram desiccant packs for storage.  I plan to make some trays for pellets once the interior is complete.  I'm sure an oven would be better but I can't get one in the lab.  I'm looking for a better stat that can support a higher temp.  I know Grainger carries the exact one I want, for about $120, but I'm building this out of basically discarded parts with the exception of the hair dryer and desiccant.