1 (edited by nickythegreek 2012-12-13 19:43:10)

Topic: HIPS Filament & Solidoodle

Filaco is carrying some HIPS 1.8mm filament and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.  I think that I am seeing that it needs to a temp of around 280 to flow, so probably a non-started with the stock hot-end. Can anyone verify that melting point?

EDIT:
Resources:
Indestructamendel - Polycarbonate 3D Printing with Prusa Mendel (update: not HIPS)
RepRap.org forums - High impact polystyrene

Re: HIPS Filament & Solidoodle

I believe HIPS will start melting at a temp significantly below that (like 180C). In the link above the guy is printing with polycarbonate which is not HIPS.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Filaco's blog  says the HIPS was printed at 230 on a Makerbot, which equates to 195-200 on the Solidoodle.  Polycarbonate needs a much higher temperature, and most likely an all metal hot end like the Arcol v4.

4 (edited by nickythegreek 2012-12-13 19:44:33)

Interesting, so this HIPS should be printable on the solidoodle.

Filaco blog post on HIPS

Next I am wondering the pro/cons of HIPS.

Material Comparison (ABS vs HIPS)

From what I gather:
Requires heated bed.
HIPS raw material is cheaper than ABS pellets, so the filament should be cheaper to produce.
HIPS is better are printing plastic instruments/whistles with greater success then PLA/ABS

In the comparison to ABS. HIPS doesn't seem to as prone to absorbing water. This might eliminate the need to keep filament stored with desiccant in an air tight container. The only question for me is what is the risk for toxic degassing when working with polystyrene derived filament?

ABS is styrene based as well, roughly half styrene. I can only assume the risks are the same. My only question is if this stuff is so awesome, why aren't we already using it? I could see doing a dual head extrusion using this as removable support and something like nylon or PLA for the main material, using acetone to remove the support.

cwalster abs disolves with acetone the reason HIPS isn't used is it takes a higher heat setting than does abs

8 (edited by Cwalster 2012-12-14 04:41:49)

Isn't that what I said? The HIPS would dissolve away, leaving the main material, be it nylon or PLA. ABS takes forever and even then doesn't seem to dissolve away cleanly. HIPS, if it acts anything like EPS, will dissolve rapidly. Dissolve cleanly, I don't know.
It also has the same transition temperature as ABS according to the above link. You should be able to treat it like ABS and get decent results.

Zombie Thread I know.. but just wanted to say.. got some White HIPS from 3dprintergear.com.au arrive tonight.. and I tells you ..... its nice stuff.

I know its true purpose is realised with a dual extruder setup (its coming) and using HIPS as dissolve-able support material in Limoene, but damn, its some nice filament ! smile

I have 2 rolls of hips on the way from Jet. I was going to test it out for strength. I figure it would be good for making my x-carriage. I didn't realize it was dissolvable support material. How well/quick does it dissolve?

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

11 (edited by adrian 2013-06-27 14:13:48)

2n2r5 wrote:

I have 2 rolls of hips on the way from Jet. I was going to test it out for strength. I figure it would be good for making my x-carriage. I didn't realize it was dissolvable support material. How well/quick does it dissolve?

Very.. about 24 hours and its gone. Bonds perfectly to ABS.

Check the cube printed at the top of the page...

http://www.3dppvd.org/wp/2013/02/solubl … -material/

Ya want tough - can't go past the Polycarb I'm just calibrating at the moment wink Gotta love all-metal big_smile Stay tuned for seperate thread...

adrian wrote:
2n2r5 wrote:

Very.. about 24 hours and its gone. Bonds perfectly to ABS.

Check the cube printed at the top of the page...

http://www.3dppvd.org/wp/2013/02/solubl … -material/

Ya want tough - can't go past the Polycarb I'm just calibrating at the moment wink Gotta love all-metal big_smile Stay tuned for seperate thread...

I'm still waiting for my e3d hotends. But I can't wait to see how polycarb works.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Cwalster wrote:

ABS is styrene based as well, roughly half styrene. I can only assume the risks are the same. My only question is if this stuff is so awesome, why aren't we already using it? I could see doing a dual head extrusion using this as removable support and something like nylon or PLA for the main material, using acetone to remove the support.

We've tried HIPS in the shop. Behaves more or less like ABS.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

I just checked out that article.  That looks awesome. 

As I am just getting into 3d printing, I'm curious as to how models intended for printing with different materials are built / sliced to be used with dual extruders.  I would assume that the model (the square in the article) was two seperate models designed to fit together in the 3d program but seperated and sliced as two models?

Randavian wrote:

I just checked out that article.  That looks awesome. 

As I am just getting into 3d printing, I'm curious as to how models intended for printing with different materials are built / sliced to be used with dual extruders.  I would assume that the model (the square in the article) was two seperate models designed to fit together in the 3d program but seperated and sliced as two models?

can be done that way. but you can also let the slicing software detect and generate supports for you, i assume you can set the spacing to make them solid.