Topic: How do you cost your 3D products - STL as basis

I am wondering if there is a way to compute total cost on a printed item using the STL file as a basis?

Re: How do you cost your 3D products - STL as basis

Typically it's done by volume.

done by volume? i am not yet familiar with STL file, so may I ask, does it have that property and does it have an assigned value? that I can use in a formula or something

An STL is just a point cloud, it is trivial to compute the volume. Most STL editors can compute it.

The formula would depend on the seller - the same way milk is sold by the gallon, but there no one "formula" for converting gallons of milk to dollars.

after slicing the bottom lines of G-code tell volume used, time etc. its how 3Dhubs estimates plus any extras

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Last line of gcode when using slic3r:
; filament used = 452.5mm (1.0cm3)
(this was for a little decorative part)

I read somewhere that there's about 400m of 1.75mm ABS filament on a 1kg spool, so that would make almost 100 from a spool, so total cost is around 1/100th of the spool cost, so in this case, about $0.20

Stock SD4 with 3/16" glass attached to stock (kapton-covered) bed with Aquanet.

7 (edited by cckens 2014-09-08 23:19:00)

Ummm... that's meters, your part is a little over 4/10th of a meter so about 4000 from a spool,  or about $0.02 per part.

Math... Just sayin'

eflyguy wrote:

Last line of gcode when using slic3r:
; filament used = 452.5mm (1.0cm3)
(this was for a little decorative part)

I read somewhere that there's about 400m of 1.75mm ABS filament on a 1kg spool, so that would make almost 100 from a spool, so total cost is around 1/100th of the spool cost, so in this case, about $0.20

Your time should be calculated as well, I don't mean 10 hours for a ten Hour print, but rather your actual time preparing the print, and any time for  corrections. Also if you  create the still should be charged, maybe a flat rate? Plan on the quality of your final print, and finally any post processing (clean up). I use a per hour rate 1 hour minimum. Ask your self what you are worth or how much you want to be paid per hour. One last thing , your  customer base is an important factor, a manufacturer that needs a rapid prototype will pay more than someone off the street looking for a toy for his kids, have reasonable expectations.

SD4 with E3D V6.

Those who don't know ask, those who don't care comment,  those who comment without answers  hide ignorance for fear of asking. Be fearless!