Topic: PLA - Where to buy

New Solidoodler here. Anyone have any suggestions of where to purchase PLA filament since Solidoodle is "currently out of stock"? Were they ever even in stock?

XYZ Printing Da Vinci 2.0 Duo
Experience with Makerbot Replicator 2X, Up! Mini, and Prusa Mendel i3
Mechanical Engineering student at NJIT
Preferred modeling program: Solidworks

Re: PLA - Where to buy

Where about are you? Are you in the US or Europe etc? I ask because you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for shipping.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

If in the US, just go to Amazon. Tons of selections and brands on there.
If overseas, there may be someone on the forum in your country that can help direct you, or you could just Google search "Norway Filament PLA" for example.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

LdyMox wrote:

Where about are you? Are you in the US or Europe etc? I ask because you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for shipping.

US.

AZERATE wrote:

If in the US, just go to Amazon. Tons of selections and brands on there.
If overseas, there may be someone on the forum in your country that can help direct you, or you could just Google search "Norway Filament PLA" for example.

Sounds good, I do have prime after all. Any specific brand or seller you would recommend?

Amazon as was already suggested

Makergeeks.com has a number of colors http://makergeeks.com/plafilament.html

PrintedSolid.com has a few colors http://www.printedsolid.com/product-category/pla-pha/

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

I think makerbot is in the US ..pricey stuff though.

http://store.makerbot.com/pla-filament

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

I preordered the Solidoodle Press so I may have to see how the filament fits in the printer before I buy other sizes of rolls.

As for amazon this RioRan PLA was good and looked awesome in this golden color
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HM5 … &psc=1

I also ordered from justPLA and it did well. I have seen justPLA on amazon which I bougth a roll of green and I bought a roll from thier site in Blue
http://justpla.com/

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Micro center stores carry ABS and PLA in a few brands, some much cheaper. I got a white 1kg roll of 1.75mm PLA for @15

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

11 (edited by asteinmark 2014-08-07 19:01:45)

n2ri wrote:

Micro center stores carry ABS and PLA in a few brands, some much cheaper. I got a white 1kg roll of 1.75mm PLA for @15

Wow great deal. May even be worth the 40 min drive each way if I pick up several. Only 18 min from my college but I won't have a car sad

Update: Checked out the online store. $20 for a roll and $5 for shipping so still one of the best deals. The pricing was for a roll of Makerbot's own filament.

$20 for Makerbot PLA is a steal. I've been gouged at $45 for a MB spool sad
But Makerbot filament has always been a good experience for me.

JustPLA is very affordable, but *can* be inconsistent with success and diameter. I've also read some reviews of bubbles being found in the product. I've gone through 2 spools of it though, and only dealt with clogs until upgrading to the E3D.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

AZERATE wrote:

$20 for Makerbot PLA is a steal. I've been gouged at $45 for a MB spool sad
But Makerbot filament has always been a good experience for me.

True. Makerbot at least gets filament right. And I too have easily paid $45 a spool. I haven't had experiance with their PLA though, only ABS.

printedsolid.com is in Newcastle DE not far from New jersey.

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

some MB PLA like clear colors are $60-$120 a roll at Micro center. and yes PLA gets bubbles if too hot. hard to get right temp after being used to ABS ;^)

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

asteinmark wrote:

I haven't had experiance with their PLA though, only ABS.

I'm the opposite. Never tried their ABS. I've gone through 3(?) spools of their PLA and always had good results. Diameter consistency was always about +/-.01
JustPLA I've noticed can vary +/-.03 at the worst. Not bad for small/short prints, but definately a filament you want to keep checking throughout the spool. Get what you pay for, right?

A few days ago I ventured to the local micro center. A cool store . They are currently selling makerbot printers as well as filament. Thy also sell arduino mega boards raspberry pis etc as well as a huge selection of computers and computer parts.
SO I finally find the shelf with the filament but all I see is bigg rolls of filament for $50 and tiny .2 kg rolls for $19. so a sales person comes by and I as about the $19 1 kilo rolls that I saw on line. Oh we keep those on the back whay colors do you want. And she brings what I ask for.
So the lesson learned if you have a long drive to the store.  check inventory of the store before you go and do not be afraid to ask for what you want. In hindsight sku number would have been a good idea.
the other option is order one line for store pickup. They advertise a 20 minute turnaround . I have not tested the claim.

And yes I did purchase walk away with 3 rolls of PLA.

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Online, I only see the Toner plastics brand of PLA for $20 a roll for 1kg, is that what you ended up getting Tin Falcon? How's the consistency of that brand?

SD Press - Preordered

Try [link removed] $29.99 a spool with free shipping in the USA. Also they sell Filaments by the case (12 Spools) for $300=$25 a spool. I had bought from e bay and other sites but didnt have much luck with a quality filament. I have ordered a few times now from [link removed] and never had a problem with their quality. Hope this helps

Hello,we can supply the 3d printer filament.
Shenzhen Superstar Technology Co.,LTD here,specialized in  3D printing  filament in  China.
If your quantity is large,maybe you can consider importing from China.
E-mail:[email protected]

Nicole