Re: Skew/Slant Issue On Larger Prints

I second cmetzel's idea of printing this in Repetier-Host/Slic3r to rule out skeinforge as the evildoer.

Don't get mad at me, just have one last idea to try.  wink

Print this snowflake out and see if that works.

Post's attachments

funnyflake.STL 187 kb, 32 downloads since 2012-12-06 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

28 (edited by Cwalster 2012-12-06 22:42:23)

Pronterface lists in mm/min, therefore the 3000 number you got is actually 50mm/s.
That being said, I do think its a speed issue. I would have to see your actual config file to be absolutely sure, but my gut tells me something is running too fast and its causing an issue. I have also noticed that slic3r tends to start from one side and works the other way, using rapids in one direction whenever it runs into areas it cant cleanly fill in one pass. This means high speeds one way, low speeds the other. skienforge probably does the same thing, but I haven't touched that in a long time.
Use one of solidoodle's prebuilt profiles on the parts and get back to us.

OK, here's a pic of cmetzel's funnyflake. I stopped it about midway through, but I think you get the idea. Basically a disaster.

Otherwise, as a point of reference, a pic is attached of some parts I made last week. As you can see, they printed without issue and are quite nice; obviously the machine did work. Something has gone horribly awry since....

I'm going to try running the little Tardis again and see what I get.

Post's attachments

funnyflake.jpg
funnyflake.jpg 533.1 kb, 3 downloads since 2012-12-07 

parts.jpg 602.7 kb, 3 downloads since 2012-12-07 

Dave, did you try going around snugging up all the screws on the belt pulleys?  If the problem is your rapid speed when you're not printing it could account for the issue. 

The funnyflake was supposed to be a joke, leaning to compensate for the shifting...

Haha! Might have been a neat part if it had printed!

Pulley setscrews are all tight. Belts are all snug. No odd noises.

Just re-ran the small Tardis. Results in pic - shift is confined to the X.

Post's attachments

IMAG0102.jpg
IMAG0102.jpg 487.68 kb, 3 downloads since 2012-12-07 

do you have a software that run in the back and take a lot of ressource sometimes (game, antivirus that do a scan ...) ?

i had something same as your problem when i try to print an object and play a game in the same time...

33 (edited by dave 2012-12-07 15:37:55)

That was a thought also, so I had nothing other than e-mail up when I just re-ran the Tardis model.

But, I had been doing design work involving huge Inventor assemblies last week while running successful prints.

34 (edited by jooshs 2012-12-07 15:55:03)

I would try cooling the electronics first and see if it helps.  Even a little fan pointed at the board makes a big difference.  Also, maybe check the soldering on the x stepper driver.  I have to cool the electronics to successfully print.  One bad solder joint could certainly lead to overheating.  Also, very carefully inspect as much of the pulleys and carriages as you can.  It is possible a little chunk of super glue or abs dropped into the bearing, belt, or pulley.  Finally, I'm assuming you have, but try lubing the rods and make sure that the screws holding the printing carriage are all tight.  If they are too loose, then the hot end has enough play it can catch and drag on something.

If there is no grinding noise as you say, it must be the electronics.  So that is where I would focus.

dave wrote:

X-axis voltage checks out at .455V, the adjustment on the pot is too fine to get any closer to the specified .443V.

After trying to adjust this, I tried to reprint the file in question at full size. Now the stepover is even worse. Went back to another smaller item file I printed before and it's perfect.

I'm stumped......

You CAN get this closer - it's tough...stick a screwdriver in and just put 'pressure' on it in the right direction, don't even feel for a turn, and remeasure.  I did this a few times, back and forth, and got it to register within 0.003V on my digital meter, and it still registered to within .003V (although the last decimal had drifted) when remeasuring a couple of days later, both before and after a print when the stepper control chip was going to be hotter.

All that said, I hope the board isn't so sensitive to voltages that your current .455V is actually a part of your problem, so this post isn't likely to be helpful....

I think the X-axis just died entirely.

I was messing around toggling the motors from the control panel through the full travel, looking and listening for anything odd, and the X axis motor stopped working altogether after a few jogs.

Won't move, won't home, no worky. sad

Now you know it is the electronics at least.  Sounds like a bad wire, solder joint, or something of that nature.  It may work again if you allow it to cool for a while.  At that point, you should really inspect all the wiring connections and find out where it is.

Also try swapping x and y to see it is the board or motor.

39 (edited by dave 2012-12-07 19:02:50)

OK, I think I'm back in business.

I powered down and unplugged/replugged the X-axis connectors. Then, on a whim, I decided to pull the setscrew on the X-axis pulley out entirely, blasted the hole out with some canned air, then reinstalled the setscrew. I powered back up, and loaded the part file that began this saga. I then left for lunch.

While I was gone the part printed fine. big_smile

It might have been a combination of the two, but I'm wondering if there wasn't a burr or tiny chunk of crud in the pulley setscrew hole. It seemed snug when I checked it before, but there's the odd chance the screw wouldn't seat and anchor the pulley properly.

I hadn't printed a part that covered this much of the table before, so I wonder if there wasn't a bit of slippage induced when it was nearing its extents on the X travel and things spiraled wildly out of control from there.

Now to see if it prints fully in the color I intended.....

Glad it seems to be working.  Got to love this place - everyone swarms around problems trying to help out.

Glad you got up and running again!  And, yes...This was an awesome example of a great Team effort!

If this were a business; it would be very formidable with all of the talent and experience coupled with quick response times!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Yes, great team troubleshooting effort - thanks, all!