Re: Home depot to Sell 3D printers

lueman wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

I can't picture a Home Depot thingiverse until they can figure out a way to sell you a part file and them limit how many times you can print it.

Oh how I miss the days I actually owned what I brought!

In this example, you would own the 3D printer and purchase a single 3D print of a screw that you print out. You still own the screw you printed. You don't have to destroy it at midnight smile

- Check out what I'm doing at 3D printer design site www.makershop.co

michael s wrote:
lueman wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

I can't picture a Home Depot thingiverse until they can figure out a way to sell you a part file and them limit how many times you can print it.

Oh how I miss the days I actually owned what I brought!

In this example, you would own the 3D printer and purchase a single 3D print of a screw that you print out. You still own the screw you printed. You don't have to destroy it at midnight smile

Yet.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

Wow! A new kickstarter million dollar money maker - timed destruct filament! :-).

actually you could do something like that sell it in sealed cases and have it set to absorb water from the airand turn into mush after like a 30 day time period

Claghorn wrote:

Wow! A new kickstarter million dollar money maker - timed destruct filament! :-).

Already exists... It's called PLA. wink

31 (edited by Belcher 2016-11-11 11:57:28)

I don't know about what problems you are talking about. I have watched the whole video but did not found any issue. Can you be descriptive?

Belcher wrote:

I don't know about what problems you are talking about. I have watched the whole video but did not found any issue. Can you be descriptive?

I think he means that they're using PLA, and it's one of the more difficult materials to print with. When you have a 3d printer sold as any other piece of electronics, customers will expect it to work out of the box, and PLA is notoriously picky.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

TheBaron wrote:
Belcher wrote:

I think he means that they're using PLA, and it's one of the more difficult materials to print with. When you have a 3d printer sold as any other piece of electronics, customers will expect it to work out of the box, and PLA is notoriously picky.

Really? I had way better luck printing with PLA than I did with ABS just starting out.

PLA runs at cooler temps, and doesn't necessarily need a heated bed, although it does help (cooler here, too), nor does it need a full enclosure. I rarely had issues with PLA warping, although it did happen occasionally with larger items. the biggest problem with PLA is bridging... it doesn't like to bridge without sag unless you have a filament fan, and/or supports.

ABS on the other hand pretty much requires a heated bed and some sort of additive to get it to stay stuck down (hairspray, gluestick, slurry, or what have you), a full enclosure, and higher temps from both the hotend and the bed. warping and/or cracking is a common problem, too... and it takes a lot more tweaking of things to get good results from ABS for a beginner...

just my 2.5 cents worth... smile

all of that said, I am much more comfortable with the ABS now, and haven't printed anything in PLA for about a month now... nothing at all since upgrading to the E3D... one of these days I am going to need to try it through the E3D, just because I have 6 rolls of the stuff in the storage bin...

or maybe we will save it for the Folger Tech 2020 Prusa i3.... LOL

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

I have only tried PLA once and it instantly clogged my cheap chinese e3d ripoff nozzle. I'll give it another try once I have my machine running again.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

you dont have to do that Baron, unless you really want to.. LOL...

I was simply saying I found it a LOT easier to work with, as a newbie, than I did the ABS.

the quality of the filament has a bit to do with it as well - we did a lot of researching to find good quality suppliers at reasonable prices.
for PLA, we usually buy from Monoprice
for ABS it is Octave

I haven't run into any major issues with either brand/product. Have only had one clog, on the stock hotend, and that was kind of my own fault for leaving it hot and idle for too long (got distracted by something) and I did a lot of swapping back and forth between the two types for a while.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

PLA can be problematic with all metal hotends.  What you experienced is the difference between an E3D and a clone.  Most likely the inside of the heat break isn't polished enough.