1 (edited by Fred 2014-07-16 21:11:01)

Topic: High speed filament pelletizer

Hi

I would like to share with you one 'thing' that i've been working on in the last few days: an high speed  filament pelletizer.
It is easy to manufacture, inexpensive and simple.

It transforms  1 meter of filament back into pellets in ~2 seconds:

(how can i post a live link here?)

It's designed around an 25mm 'wolfcraft' cutter drill,  one 30x30mm - 40mm long square steel tube, some m6 threaded rods, m6 washers and nuts, and 2 bearings (one 5x16x8 and one 10x30x10)
Works great and I think the photos and the videos are self explanatory about  how to build it and use.

I'll use it to recover the filament that is rejected from my small manufacture of 3d filament. > dowire.eu

Post's attachments

IMG_20140715_190640.jpg 146.35 kb, 3 downloads since 2014-07-16 

IMG_20140715_190928.jpg
IMG_20140715_190928.jpg 109.57 kb, 2 downloads since 2014-07-16 

IMG_20140715_191331.jpg
IMG_20140715_191331.jpg 116.53 kb, 2 downloads since 2014-07-16 

IMG_20140715_191803.jpg
IMG_20140715_191803.jpg 125.79 kb, 2 downloads since 2014-07-16 

IMG_20140715_192607.jpg
IMG_20140715_192607.jpg 125.62 kb, 2 downloads since 2014-07-16 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

2 (edited by Fred 2014-07-16 19:20:25)

Re: High speed filament pelletizer

Here are the STL's for the case:

Parts:
- 3D printed case in ABS (3 layers and perimeters and 60% infill)
- 1x 25mm diameter 'wolfcraft' cutter drill ref:3260 000.
- 1x 30x30mm - 40mm long square steel tube.
- 5x 65mm long M6 threaded rods.
- 10x M6 washers.
- 10x M6 nuts,
- 1x 20mm Long M5 bolt.
- 1X M5 nut.
- 1x M5 washer.
- 1x 5x16x8 bearing.
- 1x 10x30x10 bearing

Post's attachments

High_speed_pelletizer_STL.zip 122.52 kb, 73 downloads since 2014-07-16 

This is really neat (and terrifying).

You can post links/embed pictures once you have 10 posts, its an anti spam feature.

If you pinch the filament a little and slow down its feed rate do you get smaller pellets?

IanJohnson wrote:

If you pinch the filament a little and slow down its feed rate do you get smaller pellets?

I didn't try that yet. Maybe using a power drill with more torque at lower rpms will be possible to adjust the size of the pellets.

The power drill that i used in this tests needed to be relatively high so it would not stall during the feeding.

Using a separate feed mechanism would probably create a more consistent output than letting the bit pull the filament in, but adding another motor plus power and speed control for it just adds complexity.  I wonder if there might be a way to drive a feed roller from the spinning of the drill.

Then again just restricting the filament with a little friction might be all it takes.  One advantage of having a pelletizer is that you can make pellets that are much smaller than usual, and which will work better with the small size of the Filastruder's screw.

holy cow that is fast!

IanJohnson wrote:

Using a separate feed mechanism would probably create a more consistent output than letting the bit pull the filament in, but adding another motor plus power and speed control for it just adds complexity.  I wonder if there might be a way to drive a feed roller from the spinning of the drill.

Then again just restricting the filament with a little friction might be all it takes.  One advantage of having a pelletizer is that you can make pellets that are much smaller than usual, and which will work better with the small size of the Filastruder's screw.

You'd need to design or find some reducer gears to drive down the speed of the input, but it's conceivably possible.

So, some kind of tight drive gear to slow the filament down may be a better solution? A toothed gear wouldn't impact the pellets as they're just going to be re-melted into the next batch. Considering how many filament pieces that I have that are unusable in the 'doodle, this might just be a viable recycling solution.

elmoret wrote:

This is really neat (and terrifying).

Agreed.  That's pretty awesome.

3D Supply Source - Pellets, Colorant, Parts, Tools, and Filament.

3D Supply Source
Coupon code - soliforum - 10% off

great!!!!!!
nice product fred! .now you shoulded apply a gear motor before the pelletizer.

11 (edited by Fred 2014-07-17 12:12:18)

The consistency of the pellets is reasonable,
Most do not exceed 3 mm in length, which for our extruder is no problem.

One way to standardize the pellets may pass by reducing the  speed of the drill (increasing torque) and/or by the addition of a second cutter (geared with the first) > see attached image.

I will conduct more tests to see the need for that change.

Post's attachments

gered_cutter.jpg
gered_cutter.jpg 83.83 kb, 2 downloads since 2014-07-17 

Love that you've modeled the pellets there smile

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

If you dont mind me asking:  Why?

only use I know of for Pellets is to melt them to make filament.

each heat cycle degrades the pastics

you Already have filament

Whats the end-game for this?

is it basically just to shred and re-extrude the short bits left over at the end of a spool?

Reusing short bits, converting filament from one size to another, or to better be able to mix colors.

Heat cycle degradation isn't as bad as most folks think because we run cooler temperatures than the big boy industrial extruders, with nearly zero shear.

I have to say, that thing is pretty awesome. However, that wolfcraft bit seems to be incredibly difficult to find in the US -- the only source I've found is on Amazon's UK page. Anyone have any alternatives that might work?

A keyseat cutter would probably be suitable:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-milli … rs/=szygcp

If I understand, the cutter pinches it against the square metal piece.  How critical is that gap and how did you set it?  Too far and you'd just dimple the filament and too close and you'll chatter and dull the cutter on the metal?

Cool design.

jamesshuang wrote:

I have to say, that thing is pretty awesome. However, that wolfcraft bit seems to be incredibly difficult to find in the US -- the only source I've found is on Amazon's UK page. Anyone have any alternatives that might work?

4006885326002 is the number to search for on Ebay (it's EAN number). I bought mine for $23.66 US dollars shipped from England.

I just saw nothing else that looked very close to it as a cylindrical cutter that I could buy locally. I doubt it would be much cheaper even if a local supplier was available.

19 (edited by Ggalisky 2014-08-15 05:55:25)

Anyone know where I can get all the bearing, nuts, and screws?

Ulitmaker 2, a few repraps, Custom Big FFF 3D printer with heated chamber.

My Blog http://ggalisky.weebly.com/
My Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXShYo … aDUpebDAOw

McMaster.

Thanks.

Built one smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTB6cUEUJzE

Works great!

I built one too. But with a smaller 2 blade cutter. Also works great and fast as h**l.

Very nice! Thank you for sharing!

Did you do some additional testing like the design with the two cutters?

Based on the above I'm building something similar but using gears and rollers to push the filament into the cutter. As soon as it's working I will post some images. The first version did not work because the filament blocked the cutter but I think I understand why (placed the cutter to low)