Topic: Is there something else I can use besides the glu stick

Well, after 17 hours of printing and then sitting overnite, I tried to remove my new birdhouse and cracked the heated glass bed.  This is the second time this has happened. 

What can I use besides glue?  Am I doing something wrong?

I appreciate any help.  Thanks

Re: Is there something else I can use besides the glu stick

Are you letting the print cool down after printing?
If its a big, or thick object, dont forget that the middle could still be hot while the bed around it is cold.

This creates a lot of strain on the glass, and will likely crack.

Also how are you removing the model?

Usually I dont even need to use tools because it will pop off by itself automatically after cooling.
On problem prints, I'll lift up one side a little with a razor, then slip dental floss under it, which i use in a sawing motion.

I use glue stick with no problems, and only have to reapply every 20-30 prints

hope this helps.

if it isn't broken, you haven't modded it enough

3 (edited by schnixx 2014-07-01 10:28:38)

Hi,

you can use PEI - Film!

Post's attachments

pei.jpg
pei.jpg 270.3 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

WHERE DO YOU BUY IT AT?  AMAZON?
THANKS FOR THE REPLY.
I need to replace the heated bed.  it is completely totaled.  XYZ is very very slow to respond.  Does anyone know of an aftermarket replacement kit?

Thanks

A trick noted on a few forums that I've found works wonders is using a mixture of acetone and a bit of scrap abs to pour a thin sheet of plastic onto the bed before printing.

All you need is a few milliliters of acetone (5-6 eyedroppers worth) and a bit of scrap plastic (roughly the same amount you can get from doing the 'load filament' procedure about 4 times).  Take the abs and the acetone and mix it in a small glass container, such as an empty model paint jar.  You can stir it with a straw or something similar to get a good mixture.

What you should get is a liquid that looks like milk or something similar.  I'm using white abs at the moment, so it's easy to compare the two.  It should be a little thicker than acetone, but not thick like glue.

Once you've mixed it up, slowly pour the mixture onto the print bed.  Make sure the bed is at room temperature or at least fairly cool, as this will allow you to more evenly spread the liquid.  Using a card or the side of a straw, spread the acetone mixture out over the print bed so that it forms a thin layer of liquid.  Try to be as even as you can, but it doesn't have to be perfect.

Once this is done, let the acetone evaporate (it shouldn't take too long), and this should leave you with a very thin layer of plastic to run your print on.

After your print has run, take a razor blade and gently shave into the plastic a few centimeters away from the edge of your print.  As you do this, you will be able to lift the plastic up from the print bed and as you get closer to the print, your print will start to lift.  This works much better for getting your print off the bed, as the plastic should just lift off fairly easily without the force necessary when using a glue stick.

As an added bonus, for most prints your bottom layer will fuse with the plastic layer, giving an almost mirror finish to the bottom of your print.

After that, cleanup is easy, as you can just use the razor to lift and peel off the remaining plastic, and then use the supports you might have left over from your print to make the next batch of acetone for your next print.

If it helps, I can provide some pictures of the process/mixtures, but I think this will be a lot easier to use than the glue stick.

6 (edited by schnixx 2014-07-02 13:09:12)

Hi,

go to http://www.3d-printshop.biz/epages/es30 … cts/FF-PET

See picture from my yesterday print.

Post's attachments

2014-07-01 19.51.27.jpg
2014-07-01 19.51.27.jpg 1.68 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Schnixx, is that film reusable? And is the translucent filament abs or pla? If it's pla, what brand is it?

Thanks... I live in USA.  I will buy if they ship.  How long will it last?
Allan

Is the davinci glass removable? On my solidoodle I pop my glass in the freezer when parts dont pop off on their own. This can sometimes help them pop off. Gradual system of natural-cooling or freezer-cooling seems to prevent cracks, compared to anything too physical when you're trying to get the part off yourself.

Also definitively don't whack the part off, always use a razor to fit underneath the part and pop it off if you're trying to do it physically.

on the da vince, the glass is not removable.  It has a heat element glued to it.  The last item that broke the glass was a bird house part that took 26 hours to print... after printing was complete, it sat all night to cool.  I used a razor all around the part
7x6 and then started to lift up.  the print had fused into the glass....??? poor design.  I used a glu stick on the heated bed.  It stuck good... too good.  Now, I am waiting again for a replacement or anybody's advice for an aftermarket item.
Thanks

heidkampn1 wrote:

Schnixx, is that film reusable? And is the translucent filament abs or pla? If it's pla, what brand is it?

Yes, it is reusable.
And the Filament is BandLay from the same Shop.

That filament is so overpriced x.x is it worth the price?

quality has its price.
I use it only from this shop.

Schnixx, how does the PEI film stick to the bed?

Since glue sticks are mentioned here, I tried Scotch Permanent Glue Sticks. Supposedly Non-Toxic, Washable, and Acid Free. Honestly they seemed to work about the same as the UHU stick does and have the upside that I can buy them locally at Walmart.

In my opinion though, acetone / abs slurry has worked out for me the best. It does tend to make it hard to get things off the glass, but persistence and a razor blade win that battle every time.

Next paragraph is kind of related to the topic but only a little, so if it's the TLDR thing I most certainly can understand...

The thing that has made the biggest "quality of life" improvement for me on the Da Vinci was adding a cable to move the SDCard into the inside of the machine where I have access to it. Now I just print from the printers menu using the "Star Vase" item by overwriting SAMPLE03.gcode so whenever I have filament not stick I can quickly cancel the print, down arrow to skip cooling, scrape off and print Star Vase again before the machine cools down more than 5 degrees. This makes any kind of failure at the start lot less painful than me hooking up the laptop again, slicing again and so forth just to print.

If the model is sliced you just need to resend.

Have a can of computer duster around for the large surface area prints that are next to impossible to remove. spray the print with the can upside down dropping it's temp to like -30f, that should dislodge it.

The nice thing about repetier firmware is being able to preheat the bed while it is slicing. And it heats them both at the same time, not one then the other.
It also allows transfer of files to slice to the memcard for later printing.

Hey josh, in repetier I noticed the sd menu bar. I haven't touched it because I thought it would mess something up. Bit if I slice I can upload to the card for easy printing without the computer? Even though I haven't accessed the card from taking apart the printer?

yes you can.

But just saying that takes away the easy speed and temp adjustments away, but yes you can

joshj wrote:

If the model is sliced you just need to resend.

Have a can of computer duster around for the large surface area prints that are next to impossible to remove. spray the print with the can upside down dropping it's temp to like -30f, that should dislodge it.

The nice thing about repetier firmware is being able to preheat the bed while it is slicing. And it heats them both at the same time, not one then the other.
It also allows transfer of files to slice to the memcard for later printing.

I have that on my list of future things to mod on the Da Vinci, but I'll wait until the alternate firmware process is a bit more refined. I have the filament resetter and can use any filament I wish already, paired with being able to use the slicer of choice makes me a bit leary of trying repetier while my warranty is still intact.

Sadly while I have C02 tanks, I don't have any of the dusters anymore. I use a big electric duster instead, it paid for itself very quickly for what I used the dusters for. I eventually want to try the PEI film and be done with all of the issue's of getting ABS to stick while still have it be easy to remove the print later.

ajvb wrote:

Well, after 17 hours of printing and then sitting overnite, I tried to remove my new birdhouse and cracked the heated glass bed.  This is the second time this has happened. 

What can I use besides glue?  Am I doing something wrong?

I appreciate any help.  Thanks

I don't use glue, I use hairspray. It works like a champ. I have only sprayed the bed once so far and have printed 10 items one at a time.

I actually use a strong hold hairspray that works way better for me than the glue stick.

If your cracking the glass, then your doing something wrong.. either your not waiting for the bed to cool long enough, or your trying to remove it with too much force.

I use a glue stick.. I would never try using hairspray, or else it will be too strong of a hold and cause the bed to crack easier.

If the part doesn;t come off the bed easily, then I use a straight edge blade to pry it up off the bed. Do not ever use a lot of force to remove the part. Instead, find a tool that will work the best. I've also heard of lifting up a corder, using dental floss to remove it.

i use ABS soup ,,,,acetone and some leftovers abs ,,let is dissolve

i put a bit on the bed with a cloth and my prints are always good

the glue sticks are best for non-toxic, odorless, water cleanup, good stick down of ABS, easier removal of print, and no mess or damage to other printer parts like over spray does, low cost, small storage space...

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

25 (edited by Jaeg 2014-08-25 15:42:14)

Have you all considered switching filament?  I started using ExcelFil filament now that its sold in the US (cubicity.com) and I dont have to use anything for the prints to stick to the bed.  If you have not tried it, I would HIGHLY recommend it. I wipe down the glass after each print with the backside of a piece of leather and thats it.  Very strong adhesion to the bed during print and slides right off after it cools.

I have used the black, white, red filaments so far and all have had the same print quality and adhesion.  They ship a data sheet with every order stating at what tempurature you should print with based on the speed you print at.