Topic: Y motor keeps moving then Error 0031?

So i got this used da vinci today in which it powers up and moves the print head to the home position, but once it get their the  Y motor keeps going and doesn't stop for a couple seconds and then the 0031 error comes up once. Not sure what the problem is, any help is appreciated.

Re: Y motor keeps moving then Error 0031?

TheNeck wrote:

So i got this used da vinci today in which it powers up and moves the print head to the home position, but once it get their the  Y motor keeps going and doesn't stop for a couple seconds and then the 0031 error comes up once. Not sure what the problem is, any help is appreciated.

Sounds like the Homing Switch is bad. Try taking a strong magnet and putting it by the little back box next to the back of the left rail.
If you can not find it i can take pictures.

peitzgreene wrote:
TheNeck wrote:

Sounds like the Homing Switch is bad. Try taking a strong magnet and putting it by the little back box next to the back of the left rail.

it's the little black box enclosed is a white bracket, correct?

does the magnet need to be pretty strong?

4 (edited by peitzgreene 2014-06-26 02:54:09)

TheNeck wrote:
peitzgreene wrote:
TheNeck wrote:

it's the little black box enclosed is a white bracket, correct?

does the magnet need to be pretty strong?

Stronger the better here is an image of it.
It is the black box inside of the white piece. What happens is when it is homing a small magnet or piece of metal goes in between those two black prong looking things. And that tells the printer it is homed. Never heard of one of those going bad, but could be. The magnet makes it think it is home, try touching it to it when you start to hear it click. If that does not work I think you will need to replace that. I can test if you can touch any of these wires together to see if you can override the sensor when I am done with my print.

Post's attachments

IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG 708.63 kb, 6 downloads since 2014-06-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

peitzgreene wrote:

It is the black box inside of the white piece. What happens is when it is homing a small magnet or piece of metal goes in between those two black prong looking things. And that tells the printer it is homed. Never heard of one of those going bad, but could be. The magnet makes it think it is home, try touching it to it when you start to hear it click. If that does not work I think you will need to replace that. I can test if you can touch any of these wires together to see if you can override the sensor when I am done with my print.

when i put a magnet between the 2 black prongs, the y motor doesn't move at all and the 0031 error comes up right away. does that mean anything?

TheNeck wrote:
peitzgreene wrote:

when i put a magnet between the 2 black prongs, the y motor doesn't move at all and the 0031 error comes up right away. does that mean anything?

No just put it close to it when you home and you start hearing the clicking. But if that does not work there is a good chance the sensor is bad.

peitzgreene wrote:

No just put it close to it when you home and you start hearing the clicking. But if that does not work there is a good chance the sensor is bad.

tried the magnet thing and it still continued to move and gets the 0031 error.

so i removed the sensor from the bad da vinci and put it in my working da vinci, and it works fine. so it would seem the sensor is fine. so luckily it's not the sensor. any other things i could try to troubleshoot? thanks

TheNeck wrote:
peitzgreene wrote:

tried the magnet thing and it still continued to move and gets the 0031 error.

so i removed the sensor from the bad da vinci and put it in my working da vinci, and it works fine. so it would seem the sensor is fine. so luckily it's not the sensor. any other things i could try to troubleshoot? thanks

It could be the piece on the head assemble that goes in between the two prongs, or it could be something wrong with the board. Im still printing something. So i can not test to see if there is a manual why but touching one of the three wires together.

figured out the problem, the home sensor was pushed back a little to much, everything is working great now.

TheNeck wrote:

figured out the problem, the home sensor was pushed back a little to much, everything is working great now.

Cool, I knew it was something with that sensor.

I'm having a similar problem - when you say the sensor was pushed too far back, how did you adjust it?

Thanks,

Jeff

I'm having this issue as well right now.

I think, as I can't find a picture of it anywhere, that there is supposed to be a bit of metal or a magnet on the carriage piece that goes into the sensor.  Mine is just a thin piece of plastic at the moment, and I wonder if I accidentally knocked it off while replacing a Y-Axis bearing holder (that cracked into 3 pieces).  Holding a magnet behind the sensor seems to trick it into deciding that the axis is homed, so I think the sensor itself is fine.

Can anyone confirm that there is supposed to be something there (is it just a metal clip, or is it magnetic?), or take a picture of the carriage bit that goes into the sensor?

I could be completely wrong, but I thought the DaVinci used light beam sensors for limit switches? It never even occurred to me by looking at mine that it would be magnetic. Oh well, I learned something again.

epa wrote:

Can anyone confirm that there is supposed to be something there (is it just a metal clip, or is it magnetic?), or take a picture of the carriage bit that goes into the sensor?

Looks like there isn't supposed to be anything there.   My issue was an X-axis alignment, as the two sides of the Y-axis weren't straight after the adjustments I had made.

15 (edited by Jeff O 2014-08-18 02:08:18)

It is just a thin piece of plastic on the carriage (the part that has the bushings and rides on the rail...) that goes into the sensor - the way I solved my 0031 issue was to take the two torx size 10 screws holding the sensor housing (the white plastic part) - pop the sensor (the black part) out of the housing, it just clips into place - then I folded up a piece of tin foil (paper would probably be a better choice - less chance of a short) and put it behind the sensor to move it out a little bit, and only attached it back into the white plastic housing by the bottom clip... you can check if it is plugged in good when you do this too. Then I reinstalled the sensor and housing and it worked! Not very scientific, but after that fix I have managed to print out both the demo key chain and star vase and spent what seemed like a couple of hours calibrating the base - it only threw the 0031 code once, so I repeated the adjustment on the sensor and it ran fine... makes me think I one of my first new designs should be a better sensor holder...

not certain it will work for you, but here is hoping - oh, and if you haven't done it already, popping the plastic side panel off is easy, you just work a flat blade screwdriver under the edge (I start at the front) until it lifts over the catch - there's about six of them you have to release, then it just lifts off...

look at me, an XZY owner for less than a week and already giving advice smile

Jeff

Hi there. I'm getting the same problem on my 3 day old printer. All fine, finishes a job, change the cartridge, go to start the next job, and boom. 0031. The Magnet thing didn't fix it, and attempting to push it back into place worked for about 6 seconds. Help?

Those are standard optical (not magnetic) end-stops on the davinci. Other printers sometimes use mechanical end-stops. But optical are more accurate. The way they work is one side of the horseshoe is a small led the other is a photo sensor. Its triggered when something goes in the gap and blocks the light. It sounds like If the sensor is out of alignment it may not be getting deep enough in the gap to block the light path.

18 (edited by dhcorley 2014-09-23 23:43:26)

Just watched a video over at voltivo "cracked-y-axis-bearing-holder" wherein  during a bearing holder replacement the two y axis belts came out of alignment. Ie one belt slipped during the repair. The result was the sensor didn't get triggered before the other side hit the back end. So its possible your only a notch off, if you were able to put something behind the sensor to get it to work. Watch the video its right after he puts it back together. But it could be a  simple belt adjustment.
youtu.be/Y8H6lmYDs-I

edit: its at 6:42 in the video

I'm looking for the y axis sensor for the da vinci 1.0. I contacted xyz and they said that they wouldn't sell it to me because I bought it used off ebay. Anyone know where I can get one. Thanks david

Why do they care where you bought it?  They got their money for it.

That's what I ask them. Now they say that I can buy it but for 24 dollars.

Having a similiar issue, but I think it's because the belts are too loose to move the Y axis. I can't seem to access the hex screw to tighten them. Any tips on doing this? (the printer just clicks LOUDLY when trying to calibrate, even in jog mode)

At the price point of this printer, I'd be shocked if the sensor is anything but a commodity part.
Me thinks we should be able to locate a part number and find a comparable optical interrupt sensor from Digikey or even eBay.

If you have the sensor liberated from the printer, can you post pictures of it?
Even without a part number I imagine we can find a replacement without paying the XYZ tax.

Da Vinci 1.0 (stock for now)

I'd guess that the other end stops are the same make and model. I will pull the other one off tomorrow and see if I can't find one   Thanks.

I got it.  The endstop I ordered off line worked great. Had to cut up the mount for the sensor mount but it works just the same.  I have printed 3 things with it and no problems.