Re: XYZ printer extruder not heating up properly.

drewsfjord, I could kiss you.
I already checked the connector but after your post I did it more carefully.
The cables were tight in the connector, but suddenly the temperature started to rise again.
So it IS the connector, but with a loose contact that I could not find before this post.

thanks again.

N/P x-ray,

You have no idea ... I lost my mind last week,
I am so glad you solved this issue. You should be humming along for awhile.

Ps. I recommend purchasing

1. A couple the thermoresistors, (thin cable that goes to your extruder, Mine is okay but you never know) these are very inexpensive and can be found for less than a buck ea.

2. Ceramic Heater Core (red wrapped double cable, heater cylinder) this just crapped out on me and unavailable locally! I live in NYC and not one store sold these. We have 4 3D printer specific stores which includes Makerbot. Nada.
A 5 pack is 16 bucks from amazon (thank you next day shipping)

3. Another Davinci (just in case) smile

As posted earlier in this thread I would highly recommend using Deans or other heavy connector to fix this issue.
Soldering them together will fix the problem, but someday you will buy a crappy roll of ABS, it will jam on you during an overnight print, and there will be nothing you can do to fix the crazy jam in the extruder barrel. Keeping the extruder serviceable with a connector is a good long term investment.

My heater died 88 days after purchase. It took about four days of back and forth messages to convince xyz of that--then they said sorry it is out of the 90 day warranty. It took another four days to point out that I had submitted the trouble before the warranty expired. Long story short, they had me remove the heater and return it. Two weeks later I am still waiting on the replacement to get here. In the meantime I ordered and installed one of the 40W ones off of eBay and it works great--better than the factory one.

All,
I have the same problem but it is not the connector.  It appears that the heater element has an intermittent open when it gets between 120 and 130 degrees.  The problem this creates is that there is filament that won't melt threaded through the machine preventing me from being able to remove the print head to even consider replacing the element with the one mentioned.  Any thoughts?

I'm awfully confused about the "support" comments.  My experience of contacting them by email has been quite good.  In fact, today is Sunday and I sent them an email about 2 hours ago and have my first response.  Of course it is the generic troubleshooting steps that I've already done but at least someone responded...

I have the same problem with my printer which I bought in mid-Decemer. It has about 130 hours on it. Is there a solder free option for replacing this connector? I saw some conductive glue at radio shack, for example. or would binding the connector tightly with electrical tape be a possible fix? I don't know how to take this connector apart. And I'm not at all good with a soldering iron (whiff of burning skin...)

You could just cut the wires and twist them together with wire nuts. You can also use bullet connectors that crimp on.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I replaced the extruder heater with the 40w and blew out a transistor on the logic board. It looks like the transistor got too hot.

I stopped getting voltage from the board and found a spot above the transistor where I get ~1v when the heater is supposed to be on and wired in an arduino to detect the voltage and activate a 5v relay using a Letex LA213 optoisolator that I found in some e-waste.

Thought I should warn you.

I had same issue and noticed how bad the connector was they they used.  I would wiggle the connector one way and the head would start heating and then move it a little and it would stop heating. I picked up some crimp connectors, two female and two male from Home Depot and put those on. I wanted to be able to remove the head if I needed to and still have a solid connection to the heater. I have 350 hours on the machine now with no problems.

Had same problem as all above. XYZ sent replacement heater and new harness has anyone remove the harness from back of printer? How do you get to the bundle of wire behind the bed.(maybe I must have short arms :-))

e2computers wrote:

Had same problem as all above. XYZ sent replacement heater and new harness has anyone remove the harness from back of printer? How do you get to the bundle of wire behind the bed.(maybe I must have short arms :-))

Take the clear side panels off. They just snap on.

37 (edited by elay 2015-05-10 01:38:38)

You guys might be the answer to my prayers.  When I disconnect/reconnect the heater connector, the extruder works. Once.  On the next cycle, it won't reheat again unless I dis/reconnect again.  Does that sound like a bad connector to you guys?

If it is, I'll have to find an electronics repair shop near me.  No way do I trust myself to rock new connections.

Thanks

*****Update*****
I had three DaVinci's go down and this was the reason for all three.  I don't trust myself with a soldering iron so I took all 3 to a computer repair shop.  I just had the guy there cut the connector and just solder the wired together.  They're all working like new.

You guys were a lifesaver.

Just had the extruder not heating issue today.  Came across this forum, and within 15 minutes, had it fixed and running again.  Thanks for sharing the info.

So I know it's been a while since my last post I've been busy, I finally got my connectors replaced with the vinyl bullet connectors. they're making contact but my extruder still won't heat past 25C it's quite disheartening. Is there anything else I can check or replace to see what could be causing it?

unfortunately I don't have hardware to check the voltages, I'm not even sure what to buy for that. I really like this printer It would be a shame for me to have to scrap it. when it was working it worked good. The wire is crimped in nice and tight. I had my grandfather come over and help with it because he used to do electrician work. My friend who was supposed to help would always have an excuse.

i didn't know what the problem was when about 4 hrs into my 17 hr print job, the filament stopped coming out. first killed the job and though that i was somehow out of filament. Nope. tried cleaning the head thinking it might be a clog. Nope. no heating beyond 35C. damn. went online and found this forum and prevented a bit of sepukku. ok. so i  kept reading about the issue being, predominately, about loose connectors and found that wiggling the connector did indeed fix the issue... temporarily. ok. so being the middle of the night and no replacement parts around, i went to work on the harness to get it running for now. i've tried several things to get the connector (or any loose wiring to conform). i have wound up bending the pins very slightly to cause them to stick in their tiny little holes. it seems to have done the job for now. i am buying the recommended connectors and found a 10 pk of heating elements on amazon for $14 on prime. i'll be better prepared the next time with problems with the connector. much thanks either way! i'll be back with an update.

Hi guys.. same Problem but different cause:

My extruder stopped heating up. I tried fixing the connector but no luck. It seems the motherboard is not sending electricity to my heating element. I then tried the following:

I found a 35w/12 v electricity source and connected the heating element... and voila it heated up... But of course. it heats up way too much as it is not regulated by the printer which tracks the temp.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this problem? Pleeeaassseeeee.... Thx a lot!

Novogenia wrote:

My extruder stopped heating up. I tried fixing the connector but no luck. It seems the motherboard is not sending electricity to my heating element. I then tried the following:

I found a 35w/12 v electricity source and connected the heating element... and voila it heated up... But of course. it heats up way too much as it is not regulated by the printer which tracks the temp.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this problem? Pleeeaassseeeee.... Thx a lot!

Did you use the wire brush to clean the nozzle while it was heating?

carl_m1968 wrote:
Novogenia wrote:

not really, since it is a heating problem... not a clogged nozzle problem. wont heat up from the printer itself... or would leaning the nozzle help with no power going to the heating element????

hmike wrote:

I replaced the extruder heater with the 40w and blew out a transistor on the logic board. It looks like the transistor got too hot.

I stopped getting voltage from the board and found a spot above the transistor where I get ~1v when the heater is supposed to be on and wired in an arduino to detect the voltage and activate a 5v relay using a Letex LA213 optoisolator that I found in some e-waste.

Thought I should warn you.

Your solution seems like a solution to my problem: no connector issue, but no power coming to the heating element. If I heat the element with an external power source, it works well, but gets too hot as it is not regulated.

Would you be so kind as giving a bit mor einformation on how you fixed it? Im no tech genious, but im willing to try.. wink Thx a lot

Novogenia wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
Novogenia wrote:

not really, since it is a heating problem... not a clogged nozzle problem. wont heat up from the printer itself... or would leaning the nozzle help with no power going to the heating element????

I asked this quetion for diagnostics. If you clean the nozzle while powered with the brass brush you cause a short that blows the zero ohm protection resistors at the heater output on the mainboard. It is a common mistake and common issue with these printers due to their hotend design.

46 (edited by scobo 2015-11-27 05:06:50)

Just fixed dodgy heater cables myself using these ....... http://www.soliforum.com/topic/12937/ti … ng-cables/
Makes for a super-quick and easy repair.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

carl_m1968 wrote:
Novogenia wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

I asked this quetion for diagnostics. If you clean the nozzle while powered with the brass brush you cause a short that blows the zero ohm protection resistors at the heater output on the mainboard. It is a common mistake and common issue with these printers due to their hotend design.

Oh.. I see.. yes. that could definitely be a reason for this.

Is this fixable?

Novogenia wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
Novogenia wrote:

Is this fixable?

So THIS is what killed my mainboard.  GOOD to know.   

I'm not putting this POS back in service,  I'm gutting it for parts.   I am not paying to ship the board back to them to correct an issue that should have never happened in the first place.

If this is a thing, then why the HELL are they selling them like this?

MonoPrice Mini Select,  Orion Delta, HeartlessTech I3 2020, TWO Taz-5,  8 Wanhao Clones
Filistruder (Operational)  (Scanners RMA'd Due To Missing Components)
Benchtop Molding Press,  Arburg All-Arounder IMM,   Bridgeport ProTrac, Monarch 10EE Lathe,  Light Machine CNC Mill & Lathe
(THIS IS JUST MY HALF OF THE WORKSHOP MUAHAHAHAHA)

Novogenia wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
Novogenia wrote:

Is this fixable?

Depends on your soldering skills with surface mound components. The bad resistors need to be removed and then new ones which can be ordered from mouser or digikey put back in . But it does require surface mount soldering and desoldering skill.

50 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-11-28 04:31:11)

BurningRingOfFire wrote:
Novogenia wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Is this fixable?

So THIS is what killed my mainboard.  GOOD to know.   

I'm not putting this POS back in service,  I'm gutting it for parts.   I am not paying to ship the board back to them to correct an issue that should have never happened in the first place.

If this is a thing, then why the HELL are they selling them like this?

It's not dead, it is repairable as many here have done so.

The problem is that the heater cartridge has exposed wires at it's body that the insulation does not cover. The brass brush being a solid short runs across these wires and if this happens while power is applied to the heater it blows the zero ohm resistors near the heater output on the board. They use these zero ohm resistors as fuses. Unfortunately unlike fuses they are not in any way, shape, or form easy to replace for the average hobbyist.