Topic: XYZ printer extruder not heating up properly.

Hello all, I have had the Da Vinci 1.0 for only about 3 weeks, and the extruder will only reach 23 degrees Celsius, this just happened this past weekend, as anyone had this problem, or does anyone have a fix? Thank you for any help. P.S. I have contacted Tech support I'm waiting to see if they ship a new extruder head.

Re: XYZ printer extruder not heating up properly.

I have the same problem a few days ago too. I do smell plastic burning during the printing, thought it was ABS filament before. Turned out it was a burned connector to the extruder.

Look at the black connector around the printing head goes to the extruder. XYZ uses a really low quality connector to lower their cost. Mine clearly shows burning marks and after I pulled out the connector and measured the supplied voltage, one side is 12V (normal) and the other side nothing. I just cut the connector off and soldered the wires together.

This is a saying, the best connector is no connector, which is always true

Thank you for the advice, my new extruder head just arrived today from tech. support I will check the connector on the old extruder head to see if it is burnt. I see the new extruder head has the Black connector your speaking of. I hope all goes well I haven't been able to print a thing in about 2 weeks.

Ran into the same issue with it not heating up any longer. Was the only resolution replacing the extruder? I checked the cable and mine looks fine with no burn marks. I have not received a response from tech support in the past 3 days and they have no phone number to call...

5 (edited by joshj 2014-05-23 16:56:47)

I posted in another forums about the dangers of this connector and a suitable replacement.

Anyway the solution is a deans style connector off of amazon. It will handle the current and never come unplugged.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5A0LMElzJ8E/U399cecf8ZI/AAAAAAAAE6k/DACpSwizt1M/w683-h510-no/IMG_0689.JPG

For what it's worth when mine crapped out it looked to be perfect.

6 (edited by w34 2014-05-27 21:17:46)

Thanks for the reply josh, I replaced the connector on mine with a deans style connector and still had the issues. I tested the voltage closer to the heat cartridge and it was still providing the 12v. I purchased a new heat cartridge and removed the one in the nozzle and it now works. Looks like I had a faulty heating cartridge. Still no email support from XYZ....so going to do the repetier firmware on the machine now, since I take it warranty won't be honored.

Another way to check the heater cartridge is just to test for continuity.

Well I am sorry the deans did not solve the issue, but at least you can feel safer running the printer.

Hi joshj, could you please provide a link to the connector that you used? Thanks!

mthurman wrote:

Hi joshj, could you please provide a link to the connector that you used? Thanks!

I actually can't due to having had them for so long, but search amazon for "deans plugs" or hit your local hobby store for them.

They have been used by me up to 120 amps (not recomended) without fail.  They must be soldered on and this in it self can be a trick.

ok, I will take a look at what's there when my printer arrives in a few days and go from there. Thanks

I had the same problem, but no damage to the connector.  I just unplugged it, check the voltage, and reseated the connector.  worked fine

Since I was one of the ones who also had the connector fail, I'd like to comment on it.

The stock connector metal parts are the same grade that I've used in the past to connect data type cables to motherboard header pins. There is nothing specifically wrong with them, they just (imho) aren't of the spec needed to push power through under constant movement. I have no doubt that XYZ will eventually get enough failures on that specific part to alter the design to something better, but in the meanwhile I did a direct solder connection to eliminate the problem on my machine.

Even if just wiggling the stock connector gets it going again, you've just failed a print if it happened while printing and if your using the stock cartridges you now have a lot of "unused" filament that the printer won't recognize as still existing.

wenyang.sun,

Thanks! After a week trying to call xyz (number is not functioning) and (We will look into this through Email). I did this and it worked! Thanks to all you guys that experiment and help us guys that are not willing to gamble with a 500$ printer.

14 (edited by wesalbert 2014-08-28 02:50:31)

Having the same issue here with the connector.  I will be replacing it tomorrow. Luckily I have deans connectors already.
Printer is only 2 months old @ 137hrs

Just cut it out and used butt connectors for the time being... yep that was the problem.

Same happened to mine last night - and no visual damage to the connector or anything. Printer is less than 2 weeks old - I just soldered those wires together to fix it, but if I ever have to replace the head I'll likely solder in a proper connector as well. Just glad the thing is printing again.

Hello all,

I have a XYZ printer for four months (working hours, 250). The heater of my printer stop working last week.  I checked all connection, voltage, etc. Everything is fine except than heater. I removed the heater.
On the heater, a laser engraving shows 12V  35W. I found either 30W or 40W. I could not find 35W. I am afraid to use 40W to burn the motherboard, and 30W might not be suitable to keep heating enough.
I have a plan to put a 12 V relay on the main circuit (two wires go to the heater) with external 12 power supply. Then I can use 40 W heater. However, I am looking for a easier way.
If anybody knows how to find a heater with following spec.: 12 V, 35w, 6 mm diameter, 22 mm length, please advise me.

sel1340,

While it probably voids the warranty, I went with these off Ebay "Hot 5pcs Reprap 12V 40W Ceramic Cartridge Heater for 3D Printer Prusa Mendel US".

Doesn't seem to be any issue at all and heats faster than what the Da Vinci 1.0 came with. The only reason I'm posting what the original link looked like is so you can see that they are 40W ones. The wires attached on these were much longer than needed, I just cut them to the length I needed.

Weekend Avenger,

Thank you very much.
Last week, I ordered 5pc, 40 W from eBay. I will go with your solution.
I contacted XYZ printer before. They told me that my warranty is over. They suggested me to replace the entire extrude for 100$, that is not an acceptable solution for customer but it is a good solution for supplier.

Thank you once again

i have started having this problem and after talking to  xyz i sort of gave up as i don't think they really know what i was talking about. will be buying new connector in the morning and replacing asap as i have already filled a cartridge box with failed prints

Mine had the same problem after only 20 hours of printing.  I replaced the connector and the problem hasn't returned since.

21 (edited by darkzombie 2014-09-22 01:47:16)

My printer just had the same problem today. Being an electrician, I started immediate diagnostics. I found 12v incoming to the extruder at the wiring harness, and continuity through the other side of the harness going to the extruder heater (i assume). So i tried putting it into nozzle cleaning mode so it would try to heat up the extruder. As I wiggled the harness back and forth, it would sometimes catch a good connection and heat, but if I let go it would go right back to not-heating. Loose connection. Sure, you can void your warranty and snip wires and solder them (or better yet for ease of change out in the future, wire nut it) to bypass the harness... or you can just shove a knife blade or flat head screwdriver in the side with the pins and bend them a little up or down so that when you reconnect the harness, the pins make better contact in the pin socket.
     On a side note, i sent a message to XYZ support letting them know what I found, and asking if splicing the wires would void the warranty. They apologized for the problems I was experiencing (fyi, apologizing never fixed a single electrical issue ever), and they asked if I made sure the connector was plugged in well (I guess they didnt even read my email). They also advised that the sensor wires could come loose if they were strapped (by them at the factory i guess) too tight. Suffice it to say, I fixed it myself. I may have issues in the future with it, and if I do, I probably will just splice the wires with wire nuts (Cuz that's how we do it in the hood, G)

Aaaaand... mere minutes after writting this, the problem reared it's ugly head again. I snipped them and wire nutted them. Peace out

Just had the same thing happen. 12V coming down and verified continuity across the heating element. Like darkzombie said, pulling on the connection a bit and the temp would start to go up. Let go, and it would start going down.

Time for me to snip the ends and solder them together.

Point of interest: This happened about half way through a 1kg roll that I was running at 230 degrees. Was anyone else using a higher than factory-set temperature?

Today was my turn to face this problem.

I found this thread after my printer stopped extruding part way into a print and refused to heat the extruder. I can confirm it was the connector again. Not wanting to void a warrenty yet i have removed the pins of the offending connector and bent them back out and it is running again. Will resist cutting wires for now but have some high current plugs if needed.

24 (edited by x-raymail 2014-11-19 19:13:34)

I now have a similar issue.
During print the extruder did not print anymore.
It was pretty dirty, so I cleaned it. But then I realized that the extruder was not getting warm.
But I already checked all connections and cables at the printhead -- nothing unusual.
The temperature sensors work fine ...

Despite contacting the support and hoping to get a new extruder, has anyone another idea what to look at?

RPS-13 wrote:

Today was my turn to face this problem.

I found this thread after my printer stopped extruding part way into a print and refused to heat the extruder. I can confirm it was the connector again. Not wanting to void a warrenty yet i have removed the pins of the offending connector and bent them back out and it is running again. Will resist cutting wires for now but have some high current plugs if needed.

Eventually, it will become loose and ruin another print, If you're lucky you'll hear your extruder clicking from the temps dropping, this will give you enough time to pause and jiggle the connector.

X-Ray, Check inside the black connector, Many like myself had the connector fail from the inside-out.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/8261/ext … or-issues/ here's a link to the same issue different other culprits & connector/s