Topic: Laywoo D3 filament issues

I've been trying to print with the Laywoo D3 filament with my Solidoodle 3.
Upgraded to a 0.5mm nozzle and to the mk5 extruder so it's easier to take the hot end out in case of a clog.

It gets into the barrel and starts extruding but suddenly the filament starts to bend on top of the barrel and either clogs or slides out of the extruder. I uploaded a picture of the problem. I've tried different temperatures from 175 to 210 and the same happens.

Anything that I might be missing? Maybe Slic3r settings?
Should I change any settings because of the 0.5mm nozzle change?

I checked the forum specifically for this issue but couldn't find anyone with a similar problem.

Post's attachments

laywooissue.jpg
laywooissue.jpg 617.18 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-04-23 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Laywoo D3 filament issues

Looks to me like you are running under temp...but I have not tried laywoo, but I am interested.

From what I understand, many of the exotic require much more heat to pump out prints: laywoo, laybrick, nylon, etc. But laywoo actually has a low extrusion temp, so perhaps you have a clog(?). Also, it seems you are still using the stock hot end and thermistor. The placement of the thermistor on stock Doodles reads about 30c off. Upgrading to an E3D from Filastruder.com will give you a better experience overall, as well as give you more accurate termp reading.
You should change your settings for the newer nozzle, yes.

I would love to see some of your results with this filament smile

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

AZERATE wrote:

Looks to me like you are running under temp...but I have not tried laywoo, but I am interested.

From what I understand, many of the exotic require much more heat to pump out prints: laywoo, laybrick, nylon, etc. But laywoo actually has a low extrusion temp, so perhaps you have a clog(?). Also, it seems you are still using the stock hot end and thermistor. The placement of the thermistor on stock Doodles reads about 30c off. Upgrading to an E3D from Filastruder.com will give you a better experience overall, as well as give you more accurate termp reading.
You should change your settings for the newer nozzle, yes.

I would love to see some of your results with this filament smile

Thanks for the response. The E3D upgrade is my next step.
What settings should I change?

Also, I just read that extra extrusion at the beginning of the print and increasing retraction settings are recommended for Laywoo but I couldn't find where to change this settings in Slic3r.

Thanks for the response.

I believe Filastruder is actually having a sale on E3Ds right now. Check the buy/sell/trade area of the forum.

Extra extrusion means that you need to adjust properly in EEPROM...the same spot in RH where you calibrate the extruder. The settings for the nozzle in in the 'advanced' section of Slic3r. I want to say under the printer settings, but I am not at home to confirm that. Either way, you want to change the extrusion width to .5

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

AZERATE wrote:

I believe Filastruder is actually having a sale on E3Ds right now. Check the buy/sell/trade area of the forum.

Extra extrusion means that you need to adjust properly in EEPROM...the same spot in RH where you calibrate the extruder. The settings for the nozzle in in the 'advanced' section of Slic3r. I want to say under the printer settings, but I am not at home to confirm that. Either way, you want to change the extrusion width to .5

Ummm.... Are you sure?  Not that .5 won't work but extruded plastic will expand 120% (approx) of the nozzle diameter. So a .40 nozzle should be .48

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:
AZERATE wrote:

Ummm.... Are you sure?  Not that .5 won't work but extruded plastic will expand 120% (approx) of the nozzle diameter. So a .40 nozzle should be .48

So 0.50 should be 0.60?

Approximately and I would like to apologize to the OP if I caused any confusion.  Working from my phone and simply missed that you have switched to .5 nozzle.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:

Approximately and I would like to apologize to the OP if I caused any confusion.  Working from my phone and simply missed that you have switched to .5 nozzle.

No problem, I understood anyways.

Looks more like its too flexible, I just started printing with Ninjaflex and it was doing the same thing to me.  If you have any PTFE laying around cut a short bit out that just fits between the hotend and the gears.

This is how I got mine to run:
http://i.imgur.com/Vv2KOss.jpg

I have the E3D on mine, but it should work no different for the stock setup.

Bowden SD3, Rumba, E3D hotend, Mk5 with RtRyder changes, Direct drive Y axis and bearings, GT2 pulleys and braided fishing line, Lawsy linear bearing conversion, M3 Z screw.

I never got laywood to not clog even with a .6 nozzle, sadly.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

It looks awesome! Really. I'm wondering if it's possible to implement this for www.glassstructureslimited.com in our work with glass structures. Maybe 3D printing will be the next level even in our industry.