Re: Simplify3D | All-In-One 3D Printing Software

lawsy wrote:

Awesome. Not sure when I'll have time to test mine but I'll have side by side comparisons (hopefully on three different printers) like you've provided.

I will be very interested to hear your thoughts and see some comparisons.  I rarely have any problems with Slic3r but it has taken a year to really dial in good profiles.  It is fairly common to run across shortcomings of Slic3r.  I have just gotten really good at coming up with work arounds.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Neat!

I really hope this software offers up some major improvements over Sli3r.  As a comparison I printed this out using my go to profile that I use for most of my structural parts.  The only difference is I did it at .3 instead of .1 layer height.  Speed is 80 mm/s for everything.  I have a .60 Nozzle and it took 12 minutes to print. 
Well, you be the judge.

http://i.imgur.com/nd35fNU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LJJ3vfm.jpg

At this point I am struggling with dropping $140 so I hope you guys come up with some real positive results.  I would love to see more logical tool paths.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

For the settings you listed wardjr, that came out very good.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

LdyMox wrote:

For the settings you listed wardjr, that came out very good.

Thank you,
I was half hoping it wouldn't come out that good and I am sure if I wanted to spend some time I could get it perfect.  I just don't need an insert for my band saw at the moment wink .  I would love an excuse to by this software but I am going to need to see some real proof that it is better.  I am sure that it has it's advantages and looks promising but I will wait to hear what lawsy has to say about it.

My main issue with slic3r is how it does the smaller lines of infill, where it doesn't have room for 2 full lines so it squiggles one.  normally it comes out ok, but on a circle for some reason slic3r likes to just do little sections of it...  Between that and it leaving little drops of plastic to fill in after it just went by on a full line, I'm irked at how it does its job.  I really like Cura but it isn't option oriented how I like and enjoy.

This software looks promising, along with Topolabs, but it's really hurting them that they don't offer trials...  Who likes to buy a car before they drive it?

Bowden SD3, Rumba, E3D hotend, Mk5 with RtRyder changes, Direct drive Y axis and bearings, GT2 pulleys and braided fishing line, Lawsy linear bearing conversion, M3 Z screw.

accusedmonk wrote:

My main issue with slic3r is how it does the smaller lines of infill, where it doesn't have room for 2 full lines so it squiggles one.  normally it comes out ok, but on a circle for some reason slic3r likes to just do little sections of it...  Between that and it leaving little drops of plastic to fill in after it just went by on a full line, I'm irked at how it does its job.  I really like Cura but it isn't option oriented how I like and enjoy.

This software looks promising, along with Topolabs, but it's really hurting them that they don't offer trials...  Who likes to buy a car before they drive it?

+1 for everything you said.

wardjr wrote:

I really hope this software offers up some major improvements over Sli3r.  As a comparison I printed this out using my go to profile that I use for most of my structural parts.  The only difference is I did it at .3 instead of .1 layer height.  Speed is 80 mm/s for everything.  I have a .60 Nozzle and it took 12 minutes to print. 
Well, you be the judge.

http://i.imgur.com/nd35fNU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LJJ3vfm.jpg

At this point I am struggling with dropping $140 so I hope you guys come up with some real positive results.  I would love to see more logical tool paths.

wardjr, would it be a trouble for you to post your slicer printer, filament and slicing profile you used for this object?  My prints are getting better, but as locked in as yours.

Thanks and understand if you would rather not.

Andrew

34 (edited by wardjr 2014-05-30 03:46:08)

I'd be more than happy to post them.  It won't be until later tomorrow that I'll have a chance.

wardjr wrote:

I'd be more than happy to post them.  It won't be until later tomorrow that I'll have a chance.

Thanks Wardjr!

Ok, first tests: my Solidoodle 2.

Object: Shy-light by virtox @ 60%

http://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/1c/aa/53/cf/6b/Shy-light_12.5cm_2mm_Eno_preview_featured.jpg

General settings:

Layer Height: 0.2
Infill: 10%
Perimeters:2

Both prints were run by Octoprint. This means the slicers did their job and I exported the g-code wireless to the onboard raspberry pi. Octoprint only starts the print timer once the bed and extruder are warmed up.

Slic3r

Slicing time: 5 minutes 34 seconds
g-code file size: 9,962 kb
Printing time: 02:13:21

My normal profile with 0.2 layer height and sparse infill. This print shows a problem I quite often have where one side of the print is better quality than the other. Note in the first photo the concave band in the first 10mm from the glass. This is constant across many of my prints. Later in the print the right hand side lifted which has contributed to some misshapen parts. This can be seen in the centre vertical part in the first image, where the edge is wonky.

Simplify3D

Slicing time: about 10 seconds
g-code file size: 7,328 kb
Printing time: 02:17:20 

I used their default profile except changing nozzle to 0.4 (E3D extruder) and setting the general parameters above. I also tweaked the start and end g-code a bit to try and make it like my Slic3r one. Simplify3D supports [variables] here but there are not as many as Slic3r and ultimately it seems like there is less control for this section. Most of the other settings you can tweak seem similar in complexity to slic3r.

I did spray a touch of hairspray before this one which helped sticking. As a result the right hand side is smoother as it curves up. The overall quality is very similar. Both have some moire pattern in the same place where each layer started. THe inside of the Simplify3D one is much rougher, however.

http://i.imgur.com/WCBtCtW.jpg

Second test: Batman by mrfab@50%

http://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/f2/09/91/7a/0d/batman_preview_featured.jpg

General settings:

Layer Height: 0.2
Infill: 10%
Perimeters:2

Slic3r

Slicing time: 57 seconds
g-code file size: 2,753 kb
Printing time:  

Simplify3D

Slicing time: about 10 seconds
g-code file size: 4,678 kb
Printing time: 01:17:29 

Details to come...

So from your gut... Is it worth it?  It's impressive to generate a file close to twice the size in 1/5th the time.  I am most interested in tool paths that make sense.  Things like solid infill when the inner and outer perimeters are close enough that one more line will fill it in.  In that situation Slic3r starts the high frequency squiggle with varying results.  I stare at it and think just draw one more line damn it!

39 (edited by ysb 2014-06-02 15:51:33)

wardjr wrote:

So from your gut... Is it worth it?  It's impressive to generate a file close to twice the size in 1/5th the time.  I am most interested in tool paths that make sense.  Things like solid infill when the inner and outer perimeters are close enough that one more line will fill it in.  In that situation Slic3r starts the high frequency squiggle with varying results.  I stare at it and think just draw one more line damn it!

try the experimental version (the last one 1.1.3 is just out..)

i got a lot less "zig zag dance" as slic3r can detect it now... [New algorithm for linear gap fill: no more shaking and adaptive extrusion width!]

ysb wrote:
wardjr wrote:

try the experimental version (the last one 1.1.3 is just out..)

i got a lot less "zig zag dance" as slic3r can detect it now... [New algorithm for linear gap fill: no more shaking and adaptive extrusion width!]

I will Thank You.

doppler wrote:
wardjr wrote:

Thanks Wardjr!

I just wanted to apologize.  I have been very busy and I started doing the math on how many different profile combinations I could post.  I stopped doing the math wink there are just too many.  So instead I will offer to help you via PM or if you are looking for a specific type of profile I can post that.  What it boils down to is way too many screenshots.

wardjr wrote:
doppler wrote:
wardjr wrote:

Thanks Wardjr!

I just wanted to apologize.  I have been very busy and I started doing the math on how many different profile combinations I could post.  I stopped doing the math wink there are just too many.  So instead I will offer to help you via PM or if you are looking for a specific type of profile I can post that.  What it boils down to is way too many screenshots.

Wardjr;

Appreciate that, I will PM you!

Andrew

Any updates on this Lawsy?

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.
Must say, I'm very impressed with the software. Only problem I has with it so far is that it would crash when I tried to slice anything. Had to update my video drivers and was good to go.

The ability to select where you want support for me was the main selling point. Now I can put support just where I want it without having to edit the model. Also I can change layer size during the print as I see fit. For example, I'm printing a rocker switch with a 80% of the model (0-10mm height) at .3 layer, then switch to .2 from there on up. That way the part you will see will be at .2 and the stuff you don't see will be at .3 for a faster print.  The speed at which it slices is nice, but that's never been a real problem for me.  60 seconds or 10 seconds I don't care cause I'm always trying to remember what I was doing anyway.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D