Topic: 3d printed gas tank

So heres the deal.  I have a Tomos Moped I use for work.  The gas tank only holds .85 gallons.  So I was hoping there was some way I could utilize my solidoodle to 3d Print a shaped auxiliary tank to go into my FAKE gas tank.  The fake gas tank is a large storage area.  The main question is, would PLA break down from the inside because of the gas?  Or is it something I dont need to worry about?  I planned on  Sanding it down and spraying it down it some kind of sealer as well, even AFTER I make sure its "Watertight".  Any advice is welcome!  Thanks guys!  And before someone suggests it, no I cant 3d print a mold to use to make a fiberglass gas tank.  Fiberglass gas tanks arent legal anymore.  Thanks!

Re: 3d printed gas tank

Fiberglass tanks aren't legal but you want to print one out of biodegradable plastic?

O_o

Plastic gas tanks are legal.  In fact they are whats most widely used right now.  I figured I would print the Tank in two pieces, spray the inside with some type of treatment to resist the gas, then use a liquid gasket (also gas resistant) where the two pieces connect, and then bolt them together at that seam.

I believe the plastic tanks would have to be DOT approved.....

ronsii wrote:

I believe the plastic tanks would have to be DOT approved.....

Crap I didnt think of that... Ill do some reasearch and come back to this

I read some posts referencing bikes with oem abs tanks but I doubt that this means any plastic would be ok.  Even for the oem plastic tanks, the posts mentioned dot approval though. 

Legalities aside, personally I wouldn't risk using a printed tank for fear it would crack and leak.  Id feel safer with a container molded in a more flexible plastic like some food or drink storage containers and would look into adapting one of those.

^^ Yeah, you could make a printed mold then either 'blow mold' it or 'roto mold' it, there are a few other techniques also but these two are fairly easy to do for the average 'builder' the key thing would be the type of plastic used... I think the toughest would be polyethylene.

As for the legal side of things.... I know people who run non-dot parts including tires on bikes and they usually don't have a problem... but if you do get inspected and they really go after you I am sure they will make it worth 'their' while.

Why not just do it the right way and get one tig welded to fit?

Ahhhh. that takes all the fun out of it wink

10 (edited by SykoDJ 2014-04-18 20:17:55)

i dont think pla will work as well as abs but there are tanks already made out of abs so I dont see why not

11 (edited by adrian 2014-04-19 00:38:27)

Pure PLA by itself will leak unless done stupidly thick, and theres also the whole 'will start to degrade mechanically at >60°C ... which in any automotive environment wont be hard to get to. Even just ambient on a warm day will cause lots of issues...

If I was planning on doing it, ABS, or more important, ABS+PC for added strength.

THEN on the Inside, assuming the ABS/PLA doesn't react with it, just use some Motorcycle Tank Liner product such as "Kreem".. Most are two-part process that you basically pour in, swish round, let cure for a week... and voila, re-lined tank... http://www.ebay.com/bhp/motorcycle-gas-tank-sealer ....