Re: Prometheus Hot End: New Customizable All Metal Hot End!

Just thought I'd let the crowd here know that my Prometheus arrived today!
Will assemble and install tomorrow hopefully if I don't get distracted and hopefully post some results and a review not long after.

Oh and Eric! Nice work! It looks very tasty.

This is a crowd funding thing that I'm running: http://www.gofundme.com/bvi140 It's for pretty selfish reasons tongue

Hey Serin,

It's great to hear that your hot end arrived. I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

------------------------

Hey Everyone,

I am so sorry about the late update.

As of about 2 weeks ago I finished shipping all of the Indiegogo hot ends. There are only a couple of hot ends that have yet to be shipped. If you have not received an email about this then your hot end has already been shipped. If you have not yet received it then it is likely still on its way.

The second production batch is almost ready so I expect to be shipping pre-orders within 2 weeks. I am going to be shipping orders as they were received so don't hesitate to grab your Prometheus Hot End early!

If you have any questions about anything really feel free to get in touch via the contact form on my website:

http://www.dta-labs.com/pages/contact

Thanks so much for all of your support!

Happy Printing big_smile

Eric

**Intuitive MULTI-FILAMENT 3D Printing** -- Successfully Funded on Kickstarter!

I designed the Prometheus V2 Customizable All-Metal Hot End. Buy online

Hey Everyone,

I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving weekend!

I received the second batch of machined parts about a week ago and they look great! I just finished packing and shipping all of the remaining orders this past weekend.

Now that all of the pre-orders are out the door I am shipping all new orders within 3 days. Don't hesitate to grab your Prometheus Hot End and be sure to get in touch through my website (http://www.dta-labs.com/) if you have any questions.

Thanks so much for all of your support!

Happy Printing big_smile

Eric

Hey Everyone,

Michael "ZennmasterM" Zenner just posted a review of the Prometheus Hot End!

You can check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKx7lQcpGU

Happy Printing!

Eric

it was Halloween, Thanksgiving is like 3 weeks yet.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Hi n2ri,

Sorry about that, I completely forgot to mention that I am Canadian so we had Thanksgiving in mid October! smile

It is different for Americans so I should have mentioned that!

Eric

oh, I thought maybe Aussie or something hehe.
looks like a neat hotend for PLA users as its adjustable for variables. how hard is it to clean out clogs if PLA crystallizes inside like sitting idle too long while hot?

I prefer being able to change orifice sizes also for different materials or printing needs. I still have my original .35mm SD hotend with all its shortcomings but I like the smaller size for ultra fine ABS prints with my tiny scale vehicle models for N and Z model railroading. and have gone through over 1 2kg roll the past year making them with near same detail as a powder type $50k 3D printer on an ol SD2. just my observations

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

I have never burnt the PLA in the nozzle so badly that it clogs the nozzle (You would have to leave the nozzle idle for a VERY long time). However, I there are never any issues when you leave the nozzle idle for less than half an hour so long as you dont start to burn the PLA!

There is also very little difference between a 0.35mm and 0.4mm orifice nozzle. I have printed down to 50 microns so you should not have difficulty printing high detail items smile

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Eric

34 (edited by n2ri 2014-11-03 19:31:40)

ok so other than PLA burn clog same goes for foreign material being in some filament which is very likely with some manufactures product and some gets embedded in nozzle. this is main reason removable orifice is nice so you dont damage it in clearing. also PLA crystalizes long b4 it burns at very near extruding/melt temp if you search properties of such filaments you will see PLA has like a Glide temp range. when compared to ABS etc. and 210c is on the high end for PLA as it cools slow letting it droop

Hey Everyone!

It has been a long time since I posted in these forums. It’s good to be back smile

With the success of the Prometheus hot end and hundreds of happy users around the world, we have received a lot of feedback about our product. In an effort to perfect the Prometheus Hot End we have developed Prometheus V2, an optimized, simpler, and more professional version of the original Prometheus V1. The goal with Prometheus V2 is to eliminate all of the quirks of V1 while further improving performance and user experience.

A few of the improvements over V1 include a quieter cooling fan, a professional heater cartridge and high temperature sleeving on the thermistor, simplified assembly with no soldering or Kapton tape required, embedded bowden collet for both 1.75mm and 3mm versions, and many more.

We are now selling Prometheus V2 (Beta) hot ends on our webstore

The objective of the beta release is to obtain feedback about our improvements and suggestions about anything else that can be further improved before the official V2 release.

There is a limited time offer of 10% off all store purchases for early adopters so do not hesitate to grab your V2 hot end today!

We also now offer 0.3mm, 0.4mm, and 0.6mm nozzles with V2 (which are also backward compatible with Prometheus V1).

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so I’ll just show you some pictures of Prometheus V2 instead of just blabbering on about it:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0426/9205/products/IMG_2621_1024x1024.JPG?v=1425249265

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0426/9205/products/IMG_2624_1024x1024.JPG?v=1425249294

Below is a comprehensive outline of the design features of Prometheus V2:

V2 Design Features

- Durable, actively cooled, compact, all-metal construction for high-temperature extrusion up to 300C.

- Professional internal polishing along the full length of the nozzle creates a near mirror finish which reduces friction in the hot end. This eliminates jamming when printing PLA, even with long retractions in a Bowden system.

- The nozzle is machined from a single piece of stainless steel. The 1-piece design eliminates all internal “melt-zone” junctions making hot end leaks a thing of the past.

- Variable length “melt-zone” allows for the hot end to be customized according to your needs. From high precision to high speed printing, Prometheus V2 does it all.

- Heat Sink efficiently dissipates heat from the nozzle maintaining a sharp 2mm thermal transition at temperatures up to 300C. Optimized heat dissipation allows for a quieter cooling fan and minimizes vibrations.

- Internal geometry allows for the Bowden collet to be inserted directly into the heat sink enabling easy compact Bowden integration for both 1.75mm and 3mm versions. All heat sinks are Bowden compatible and switching between Bowden and Direct configuration takes just a few seconds.

- In both the Bowden and Direct configurations, a PTFE tube passes into the heat sink and facilitates a smooth filament path directly from your extruder into the 1-piece nozzle. This improves performance when printing flexible filaments like NinjaFlex. [Note: PTFE tubing is not subjected to high temperatures within the hot end.]

- The stainless steel nozzle does not wear like conventional brass nozzles. No need to replace your nozzle when printing abrasive filaments such as the Stainless Steel PLA, Magnetic Iron PLA, or Carbon Fiber PLA offered by Proto-Pasta.

- Compact design conserves z-height and allows two hot ends to be placed as close as 16mm from each other, conserving print space in a dual extrusion set-up.

- Professional heater cartridge and high temp sleeving on the thermistor means that no messy Kapton tape is required! The thermistor is held in place with an M3 bolt and washer.

- Standard J-Head groovemount dimensions means that Prometheus V2 should fit most extruders and is a drop-in replacement for your old hot end.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I’d be happy to hear any comments about Prometheus V2! Let me know what you think and just ask if you have any more questions smile

Happy Printing!
Eric

Hey Everyone,

It has been a while since I last posted here. I have recently put together a comprehensive user guide for the Prometheus V2! This guide outlines the trade-offs involved in configuring the Melt-Zone and Transition-Zone of the Prometheus and will help you get the most out of your hot end. Check it out:

User Guide

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0426/9205/files/IMG_2885_grande.png?10666913392446859258

We are also now offering new Prometheus V2 nozzles in 0.3mm, 0.4mm, 0.6mm, and 1mm nozzle sizes! These extra nozzles are available here:

V2 Nozzles

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0426/9205/products/IMG_2851_grande.jpeg?v=1438828525

The nozzle length scales with orifice size so the larger orifice nozzles can be assembled with longer Melt-Zones to allow for higher flow rates. It also makes nozzle identification much easier wink

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0426/9205/products/IMG_2840_grande.JPG?v=1438828525

24V electronics are now available as an option for those of you who run 24V printers (http://www.dta-labs.com/collections/hot … metheus-v2).

The old V1.1 nozzles are now heavily discounted for quick sale at just $15.50 each (http://www.dta-labs.com/products/1-piece-nozzle-v1-1).

Our 10% off sale ends on August 14 so be sure to grab your Prometheus V2 before it's over!

Happy Printing smile

37 (edited by RP Iron Man 2015-11-11 16:49:21)

Hey Guys,

Thomas Sanladerer recently did a review of the Prometheus V2 hot end. Tom is well known in the 3D printing community for his honest and objective reviews.

It looks like Prometheus passed the test!

Check out Tom's review:

Happy printing!

Eric

I thought I should let you all know, DisTech is having a Christmas sale!

Buy your 3D printer a shiny new Prometheus V2 for Christmas and use the discount code: XMAS10OFF at checkout for a 10% discount!

Merry Christmas and happy printing!

It has been a while since I last posted here. It's good to be back! smile

For the past several months, we have been working on an upgrade for the Prometheus Hot End called "The Prometheus System" which is a unique solution for multi-filament 3D printing! This will allow you to print multi-color objects, print with support material, and print multi-material objects with composite structures and special materials.

We are a couple of weeks away from the Kickstarter campaign for this new product so I wanted to reach out to keep you all in the loop. Check out the Kickstarter landing page and sign up to receive a notification when we launch our Kickstarter. By signing up you will be the first to know when we launch and get the first pick of the discounted Early Bird rewards!

I will start a new discussion thread for "The Prometheus System" next week when we release the teaser video along with more information about the product. We are really excited about this new product launch and we hope you are too!

----------------------------
**PRE-KICKSTARTER CLEARANCE SALE**

As we approach our Kickstarter launch, we are offering a 15% discount for all orders placed before the campaign. Head over to our website and use the discount code: DTA15OFF to receive a 15% discount for your order. We will also include a free 2 color 3D printed keychain with your order! This is just a small sample of what our new product is capable of!

http://distechinnovations.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Keychain.png

Cheers,
Eric