Topic: Webchat to Freenode #solidoodle

Freenode have a webchat widget that you can use to chat on IRC without going through the hassle of installing and setting up an IRC client etc. It works pretty effectively, we use it to allow people to chat to us on our channel for Automation.

I would post a link to it, but looks like my account can't at this time sad or copy and paste the iframe code into a code block either.

Google webchat freenode, and on the top left there is a button that allows to setup and iframe or direct link to a webchat form with the channel prefilled.

It would really help reduce the barrier to entry, and get more people chatting.

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

Re: Webchat to Freenode #solidoodle

Ill get working on this.

it's more or less a technical forum to help people in 3d printing worlds. Chat system is a BAD thing.

the writings remain. the words fly away.

That's another valid point... whats said on the forum stays on the forum to help educate others...

The webchat is good for real time trouble shooting.  If you have a problem, and get lucky enough to find someone at their computer, you might be able to work through it faster than a back and forth on the forum.  Going back to the forum to post the solution once found would be helpful to others.

Also there is just plan chatter, which can clutter up a forum thread.

If there was no chatter, what would I do between meetings  smile

I like using irccloud, which is an "in-browser" chat client. Very useful.