Re: Filament Extruder - Convert pellets to filament

Made some 3mm filament today. Never see it before, really weird stuff. Diameter was 2.78mm-2.96mm over its length, about the same variance volumetrically (12-15%). Filastruder extrusion rate was about 4"/min, or about the same volumetrically as 1.75mm filament.

It's like the Duplo version of filament.

953 (edited by elmoret 2013-03-13 02:02:30)

Made some more 3mm. Tolerance was about the same. I want to drop the temperature or up the motor speed to see if I can build some more pressure, leading to better consistency. One issue is that 3mm filament doesn't pile nearly as well. It's about twice as thick as 1.75mm filament, but stiffness scales with the 4th power of diameter, so that's 16 times stiffer. Just another case for the spooler, I suppose!

One nice thing about the PEEK/PTFE rods is they are easily swapped - the lower friction and lower diameter means far less torque/hassle to break it free.

Anyone else have requests for things for me to work on while we wait for the Kickstarter video to be edited?

Anyone want this 3mm filament? I have no use for it.

elmoret wrote:

Anyone want this 3mm filament? I have no use for it.

Use it in your 3Doodler  ;-)

For the take up spooler, we want to maintain about the same pull force on the filament as it comes out of the extruder as the 30" or so that is currently dropping to the floor.  There is some interesting catenary suspension bridge math h_ttp:/_/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary that says that at certain droop ratios (parametric a) that the force at the extruder would change very little as the spooler wound up the drooping filament. 

There is a minimum force angle. With more filament played out, the force at the extruder increases.  And with less filament played out (shallower angle) the force also increases.  The increase in force (change in sag)  thins out the filament diameter. Use optical sensor + magic to measure how much sag is in the catenary.    I think Ian had a way to measure the filament thickness as it went onto the spool to close the feedback loop.

video of setup at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQyGxgG9 … e=youtu.be

957 (edited by ysb 2013-03-13 13:55:43)

elmoret.. i found another error in your documentation.

in the wiring section you said :

4.)    Connect as shown in wiring diagram.
The male 3 prong cord connects to: fuse block (black wire), PID terminal 2 (white wire), chassis (green wire)
The fuse block connects to both switches
The other end of the first switch goes to PID terminal 1 (black wire)
The other end of the second switch goes to the female 3-prong cord (black wire)
A small jumper wire is installed from PID terminal 1 to 3 (black wire)
The heater connects to PID terminals 2 and 5. The polarity does not matter for the heater
The white wire from the female 3-prong cord goes to PID terminal 2

but fi you follow the next Figure 1a. Wiring Diagram , the pid terminal 5 become a 4 (pid terminal 4 to band heater) ...

Ysb, that's an outdated version of the instructions.

959 (edited by ysb 2013-03-13 14:51:39)

? it's the rev 0.6,, it's the last i seen... where can i found the last one ?

and do you have a manual for the PID programmation ? mine is only in chinese...

edit: ok.. found one : http://www.rkcinst.co.jp/english/pdf_ma … zc17e3.pdf

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1786359/Filast … s_rev7.pdf

thanks

Hi,

I finally got my version of a filament extruder working at the weekend and thought you might like to see it.

link to pictures and files.

dropbox.com/sh/haytipqzzhw2q71/0jzBWvpNm0

963 (edited by elmoret 2013-03-13 15:46:19)

setithing wrote:

Hi,

I finally got my version of a filament extruder working at the weekend and thought you might like to see it.

Have you tried extruding through the nozzle? What sort of extrusion rates, if so?

125 oz-in is about 1/10th of what I've found is necessary.

Tell us more about what is going on in the nozzle.   Is that brass plug turned around backwards?

elmoret wrote:
setithing wrote:

Hi,

Have you tried extruding through the nozzle? What sort of extrusion rates, if so?

125 oz-in is about 1/10th of what I've found is necessary.

So I take it that we won't be able to print with 200mm custom filament?

Hi,

@emloret

so far I haven't been about to use the nozzle as it takes all the heat way. I think this is because not all the heat from the 110W is reaching the barrel. It is a 25mm heater on a 20mm barrel and to make it clamp I have 2 brass spacers.

I sure that the brass can conduct the heat but it's the gaps between them that I think is the problem. Also I have been trying different materials for the barrel and steel seams to work ok but galvanised steel (the only one thats threaded at the moment) has cold spots in it and clogs.

@IanJohnson

It is a mismatch of metric and BSP fittings but roughly it goes.

nozzle end                                                                                                                                                   barrel
1/8 BSP F cap/plug, 1/8 BSP M to 1/4 BSP M, 1/4 BSP F to 1/2 BSP M, 1/2 BSP M to 20mm M, 20mm F to 20mm F

It is a big nozzle, I was trying to create a tapered effect to reduce the plastic slowly. But think it's a bit over the top.

... and another happy filastruder beta tester... big_smile

i finish my filastruder  and extrude for 4 hours now... all seems to be good... i juste change the original 40mm fan for a bigger 80mm. extruding at 185 degC for a result of a average 1.60mm filament.

i extrude white pellets so i see some contamination in the filament (very little black shard ..). i don't think it will clog my extruder but i will make more filament to see if it's constant..

photo later smile

968 (edited by elmoret 2013-03-13 19:29:14)

ysb wrote:

i extrude white pellets so i see some contamination in the filament (very little black shard ..). i don't think it will clog my extruder but i will make more filament to see if it's constant..

I recommend not using the first 4 hours worth of filament. I find the contamination has cleared by then.

All the kits recently have shipped with 80mm fans, and will continue to do so in the future. You should be able to get to 1.70mm by either redrilling with the same bit to make the hole in the die bigger, or dropping the temperature.

Glad you like it! Could you post a picture or two?

969 (edited by ysb 2013-03-13 19:32:54)

i  follow your recommendation that's why i extrude more filament.... i know that the motor was loud.. but the noise is ...hem... argh.... like a scratch on a plate.... horrible wink photo will follow .. as soosn as my camera is charged:P

ysb wrote:

i  follow your recommendation that's why i extrude more filament.... i know that the motor was loud.. but the noise is ...hem... argh.... like a scratch on a plate.... horrible wink

Yeah, the first 10 units definitely have an annoyingly noisy motor. The motor I've been using since then is better - lower frequency and dB.

I have had success with a thick towel or blanket over the motor/thrust bearing half of the machine. Makes it more tolerable.

971 (edited by ysb 2013-03-13 19:43:10)

ok... the photo of the beast..

and for the following question.... yes... it's a clothes pin with a piece of kapton... big_smile that's the DIY spirit wink

Post's attachments

front.jpg 137.01 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

head.jpg
head.jpg 101.92 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

side.jpg
side.jpg 89.21 kb, 1 downloads since 2013-03-13 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Lookin' good!

a last question, where can i found the stl for the electronic enclosure of the filastruder ? wink

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lh47fecy4tii5 … ronics.STL

I think I'm regretting not getting in on the betas, but I don't know how much I would have been able to add.