1 (edited by pastprimitive 2014-02-19 04:00:27)

Topic: Great gear plugin for Sketchup!

This is a totally rocking' sketch up plugin to create involute, beveled, helix, and/or any combination of the aforementioned types of gears.

Download link below...

The best one I have found out there.  It's not perfect, and you can't do worm gears with it. but worm gears aren't too bad to model if you have the helix plugin for SketchUp. 

Now I use to hate sketch up, and there are lots of annoying things about the program, not really intended by design for parts modeling.  However, with the right set of plug-ins, and making sure to model in meters and then down scale into mm after you are done modeling (avoids some very frustrating SketchUp centric modeling bugs) this is actually one of the best cad programs out there given the cost;)

Sure i'd love to run Solidworks! But who has a few grand sitting around to toss at modeling software. Not many.

Minature complex gear systems is one of the big reasons I love my 3d printer.  But until I found this they took a bit of time to model. This greatly increases my modeling workflow.

It's a .rb file. So just drop the bad boy into your SketchUp plugins folder, and it will appear under the plugins menu. 

I found this over originally on the SketchUcation forum. Credits to Mark Jason Grundman for writing it.  I simply fixed a bug that wouldn't allow universal unit compatibility.

If any of you serious coders (unlike me) wanted to add a worm gear option to this bad boy, that would be amazing.  Still a great plug-in and thought I should share.

Post's attachments

SPGears.rb 16.58 kb, 320 downloads since 2014-02-14 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Great gear plugin for Sketchup!

Why do I get the message,"This doesn't seem to be a sketchup model" when I try to download SPGears.kb.  I'm using sketchup 2014

it's not a model, it's a plugin.  Put in your plugin folder.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

Thank you, it works.

LOL been so long forgot how to install a plugin in Scetchup

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Sweet, Great Plugin!

Solidoodle Workbench

yes it is

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

thank

Hello.

Can You put link again.
Thanks