1 (edited by ysb 2014-02-05 14:09:56)

Topic: Pangu i3 .. the best price / quality ratio ?

hello... i just bought a Pangu i3 (an updated prussa i3) on rp3d.com to help my old solidoodle 2. I want a printer 'on budget' easy to use... and bigger than my S2 . The Pangu has the same workspace than the S3 (200x200x200mm)

i just receive my printer kit yesterday... and i can say that it is a BIG (good) SURPRISE...

when they tell you everything you need to mount your printer is in, they do not laugh.

so , at first, the cost :

the printer kit (350$ promo at the moment)

shipping cost thru DHL express 5 days (real 5 working days !) from China to Quebec /Canada: 95 $

Custom & Tax : 28$ ( happy !!)

so a TOTAL (all included) cost of : 473 $ (i can't find better deal for the same quality..)

i ask them to change the extruder from 0.5mm nose /3mm filament to 0.4/1.75.. they do it WITHOUT any problem (no cost)

and now, i found this video of the unboxing of another customer (lazzy to do mine as it's the same)

look at it and see what i mean by "ALL IS INCLUDED" ... some 3d printer sellers can learn something from them...
every tool your need is included :

hexagonal wrench, watch opener, 50mm Kapton roll, wood carving tool, Tape, cutting nippers, nipper pliers, nippers, open spanner, Leather/coton working gloves, USB wire, Sd card, AND a Usb sdcard reader..

http://rp3d.com/wiki/images/a/a4/I3_31.jpg

the controller card is a Melzi (sanguinololu firmware compatible, with sd card reader and fan controller included)

the 3d printed parts are very well made (i think at 0.2mm layer with heavy infill.. 0.3 for some parts).

i can confirm all you see in this video (minus the filament, i didn't buy any filament) , same well packaged box..
and you can check the pictures on their wiki

now, time to build it.. i will make a little follow-up if someone want it..

the building instruction are a "work-in-progress' on their Wiki but with Google and a bit of thinking, this is not a problem if you already have struggled with a solidoodle wink ...

2 (edited by ggunners 2014-02-05 20:24:55)

Re: Pangu i3 .. the best price / quality ratio ?

Hi ysb, I've been looking at the $500 range for a 200x200x200 size printer too.

The Phoenix 3D Printer at Ez3D is also in the same price range and a Mendel design too.

Fully assembled, shipping from Colorado USA to Wash DC $464 USD. There is a 4-6 week backlog.

PRINTER SPECIFICATIONS:
Build Area: 250w x 215d x 200h millimeters (9.8" wide x 8.5" deep x 7.9" tall)
Resolution: 0.1mm all around
12-volt, 40-watt heater 0.35mm brass nozzle
Accepts 1.75mm filament
Heated build platform, which means you can print with ABS!
12-volt, 20-amp, 240-watt power supply
Integrated filament spool holder.  No need to buy special or proprietary cartridges!
Adjustable Z-axis cutoff switch for reliable print starts
All plastic parts are cast-resin from 3D printed molds
Materials supported: PLA, ABS, Nylon, etc.
SD supported by the internal RAMBo card but not included with the printer.

-- ggunners

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=4547&download=0

Post's attachments

Phoenix-3D-Printer.jpg
Phoenix-3D-Printer.jpg 240.44 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

3 (edited by ysb 2014-02-05 19:10:21)

I wanted to say "I hate you" , but joke aside... it's not the same price..

and the shipping delay is far to be know..

i explain :

it's kickstarter founded 3d printer ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ez … nter/posts ) and their FIRST bakers can hope to receive their printer in MARS 2014 (they think they will send the first 5 printers the 27-29 february).. BUT apart isolated case, kickstarter project are NEVER on schedule...  so i bet on a delayed shipping... (add 2-3 months)

and it's for the priority baker... if you are not baker, you will be oblige to wait after them .. so if i follow their timeline, it's not before april 2014 at best...and it's the best case scenario...

for the shipping, they said 60$ for canada with UPS... UPS is the worst choice (side by side with Fedex) because they take a horrible amount for "custom handling" ... so it will be more around 100+ $  ..hoho we are at 474+100 + tax..

rp3d put a "80$" value on their package (instead of the real value) for custom&tax for the benefit of their customer... not EZ3D... add 50$ or more to the total..

so, we are around 650 $... (at least)... it's +150$ minimum for an assembled printer... and you need to add all the tools you need (+50$... ok, you have a solidoodle, so you didn't need any tools wink) , and the RAMBo card can't use an SDCARD in default configuration, and did i said that there is no actual shipping date provided (this is a deal breaker for me)...

no.. i don't take it smile

rp3d had 900+ kit in stock

4 (edited by ggunners 2014-02-05 20:14:16)

Hmmm.... I thought when the Kickstarter funding was successful, they then sold direct through their online store.

However, I see that they just hired their first 3 employees. So, yes, it will take awhile.

And there are still some Kickstarter purchasing opportunities.

Sorry about that.

We are seeing so many new 3D Printers on the crowd-funding scene. I did not look at their Kickstarter page until after you mentioned it. Now I know to dig a bit deeper for full understanding.

And I should say, congratulations on your new printer!

-- ggunners

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

5 (edited by ysb 2014-02-11 14:36:41)

a little follow-up...

the printer is easy to build.. But it is not for someone who is not comfortable with DIY.
there is still some little tweaks to do here and there :  the smooth rods of the Y carriage were a little too long, i was obliged to correct the end pieces to let them pass thru..

the hole in the printed parts of the X carriage were not aligned (by a small value), and due to it length , give a small slope to the full carriage : i needed to use my drill to redo clean holes

the Y carriage was already builded, as the Full extruder ..

that was for the mechanic..

for the electronic, the Melzi card use a very old Sprinter firmware. you need to do a firmware upload each time you need to change a value (this firmware didn't use the eeprom to store the value.. you can not change them in repetier-host)... not practical.. and the firmware can't be downloaded on rp3d.com... you need to ask for it thru email...

i put the 2 motors of the z axis in parallel and it seem that the Melzi didn't like it (before i discovered that it was a problem of feed rate in repetier-host)... then i put them in serial.. but I don't like the fact that the torque is divided by 2 in this configuration...

then I lost my zen-itude , and i took the last version of Marlin firmware, adapt it to the Pangu i3 and flash it to the card !! (before I realized that I did not have the old firmware for a backup if I had a problem hmm )

for information, to upload the new firmware on the Melzi card, you need to put the jumper on the jp14 (auto reset), and remove it after finishing.

http://forums.reprap.org/addon.php?151,module=embed_images,url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FIeIQx.png

i use the last arduino IDE (1.05 R2), and don't forget to set the good COM port and the board to "sanguino 1284p with 16 mhz" (follow the instructions on this page .. you also need to upgrade some libray in you IDE arduino for the 1.X.X version..)

at this time, all the printer is working....all the axis are working, and the Z axis motors worked in parallel....  minus the temperature sensor (bed and heater).. i discovered that the NTC 100k , with a beta of 3950 (rpd3 sent me the information after an email from me..) were NOT in the standard list of choice of the Marlin firmware... so after losing 4 hours trying the different Sensor tables, and even trying to build a smah-up new table with a sensor of my solidoodle... i sent a new email to rp3d, and they sent me the original firmware of the Melzi card.

Now i can extract the sensor table of the Sprinter firmware and copy it to the new marlin firmware...

to be continued...

Discontents...

after analysing the sprinter firmware, there is NO chance this work with the i3...

the axis are not well set (200*200*100 instead of 200 *200*200) in the variables
the Step / mm are out of target... (ex : 85.33 for X,Y instead of 80 for a GT2 / 20 teeth pulley... or 2850 for Z axis, instead of 3200 for a M6 screw like in the Kit...)

same for the sensor table that work but is not good  (not accurate at all..) ..

i think this firmware is for another printer... need some clarification from rp3d...

finally, my i3 work more or less... i need to redo the Z endstop support as the original is not accurate at all....

ok... rp3d confirm that it was the wrong sprinter firmware (it was for the Pangu i2)...

now , my Pangu i3 is in good shape and working.... i need to tweak the Z endstop, and the E steps...

but it work well...

i made some test prints and i get horrible banding.... i was thinking of mading a Z backlash nut (like on my solidoodle) then i change how i fix the Z coupler  (something like that http://replicatorwarehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_09353-250x187.jpg )

instead of a central position between the screw and the Z axis of the motor, I decided to lower the coupler to the maximum on the motor shaft. And by magic, the banding are gone... one problem less.. next

YSB: thank you for posting this smile

I just bought the Pangu I3, and had the same issues you've had. The Z brackets seem to be warped, but with a bit of drilling they line up pretty good.

The printed parts don't seem to like lockite as much.. had the Y bearing holder break on me.
Now i replaced it with a aluminium bearing holder, and seems to function great.

Also my Z axis speed (float max_feedrate) when printing / calibrating is set way to high.. so the Z won't move whilst printing sad

I hope you can share your version of firmware, it would be great to print more than just perimeters..

9 (edited by Mr Joshua 2014-02-21 23:46:08)

YSB - this is very useful info potentially for me thanks.

I have a melzi that was bought by itself (not a complete printer) from RP3D.com, and the firmware on it simply stated "RRP".
The board developed a fault and I have a replacement but have not been able to get the original firmware that the first board had due to lack of details.

I assume from your comments here that it is a version of sprinter but that there are different versions so I was wondering if you have these if it would be possible if you'd mind emailing me copies of the sprinter versions you have?

I'd be really grateful if you're able to help, as this should take out a lot of the time it will take to get my machine running.

Many thanks, and a great write up by the way. smile

10 (edited by Mr Joshua 2014-02-22 00:09:59)

Duplicate post sorry

Although if it helps to identify the correct version, my printer is the one that uses 200x200x100 instead of 200x200x200.
I believe mine is a prusa mendel i2.

11 (edited by ysb 2014-02-25 19:08:24)

yep.. it's the pangu i2.
sorry joshua/cookiemonster.. i just see your messages now because i was sick for the last 5 days...

i will put all the firmwares i have here...

my version of the up to date Marlin for I3
and the 2 sprinter firmwares that rpd3d send me...

..asap

ok..this is the firmware i receive from rpd3d ..

WARNING :

these firmware are NOT well configured ...

it can work for pangu i2 or i3 , but you need to do the proper modificiation in the configuration.h before uploading it.

the marlin is the last marlin firmware adapted for MY pangu i3 (with a melzi card)

it WORK FOR ME... but it's your own risk to use it..

i change the sensor table as the original was f***  (it work only for the extreme..) and i redo a calcul with this calculator :

http://nathan7.eu/stuff/RepRapCalculato … TempLookup

my sensor table is the 84, the copy of the table from the sprinter is the 83 (read the comments in configuration.h)

Post's attachments

MARLIN_2014-02-9_Pangu_i3.zip 244.05 kb, 108 downloads since 2014-02-26 

Sprinter_Melzi_i3.zip 304.32 kb, 79 downloads since 2014-02-26 

i forget to add that my marlin firmware was set for a 250000baud communication (even if the original sprinter use only 115200b... but you can change it in configuration.h)

Thank you for posting your firmware! i have flashed the Marlin firmware to my melzi a few days ago, and got the Z axis to move.
Sadly the extruder axis_steps_per_unit were incorrect, so i guessed that value. but hey, the printer worked. smile
Now with the 137,6475 (in RP3d firmware) on the extruder steps it seems to be perfect!

Also i found that using cura will give the most detailed and flawless prints.
Iam pretty happy with the results so far, and recomend this spool holder.. its fantastic! (can be used with the supplied m8 threaded rod) thingiverse.com/thing:220361

Hello,
This is David from figfab.com . I made all of the videos for the Pangu i3 3d printer, including the one at the start of the forum about the unboxing. YSB helped me so much in getting my printer to operate. I used his firmware and not rp3d's (although they say they have fixed it now). Go to my youtube channel korhonenca or just search pangu i3 3d printer and you can see more videos including some of me printing. I am in London Canada and have worked out a deal for better shipping from RP3d (down to about $50) with no duty if you are in Canada. Keep up the good work YSB. I agree it's the best deal out there.
Have fun

16 (edited by ysb 2014-02-28 15:52:03)

wink thanks monster, hi David smile...  yes.. i forget to change the extruder step value of the sprinter firmware in the marlin, but it work "as is" and my printer is calibrated... " when it work, don't upgrade" wink ..... i will correct that smile

i'm not sure it's the best deal anymore as rpd3d just push up the price of the i3 : now it's 450 $ instead of the previous 350$...

well sorry David for not giving you the credit of the first video wink

now.. the next upgrade is to mount a "auto bed calibration servo harm" as this version of Marlin as the code for it...

EDIT : i just see that you are now a "rpd3d distributor", well done... wish you the best smile

Iam glad i've ordered it in time then wink
Yesterday i found that the heated bed is not stable on its spring mounted board.. therefore i inverted the bolts, and secured them with a m3 nut, so the bed wont swing out of place due to decelleration of mass..

dropbox.com/sc/2uwqhauvl1uw83v/hUAyN09u5a

Also i added a switch for the extruder fan, since the fan will only induce curling and detachment when printing ABS.
@David: i enjoyed your detailed youtube instructions, and would love to see you doing things like upgrades on the I3.

18 (edited by ysb 2014-02-28 18:27:34)

Cookiemonster wrote:

Also i added a switch for the extruder fan, since the fan will only induce curling and detachment when printing ABS.....

it was not necessary if you use Slic3r, you have an option "Fan always off" in the 'auto cool' section... i will check Cura to see if the option is there too..

i think we can use the expansion port of the melzi card to control the servo of the autobed calibration ...

http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/d/dd/BT_Connection.png

i took this picture from the wiki ... the port is the EXT at the bottom..

EDIT : yes you can shut down the fan in CURA in the section "cool", under "advanced configuration" : Enable cooling fan

just set it to "disabled"

Thank you for the research!
I am going to reconnect the fan smile
in the meanwhile i have tought about auto bed leveling too, so today ive printed the bracket which is pretty much perfect!

dropbox.com/s/y7p96tjpdthca3p/20140302_170905.jpg

bracket is from here:

thingiverse.com/thing:252089/#files

luckily i had ordered some 9 grams servos on forehand, so no waiting for part this time smile
For the bed leveling we need one discrete in, and a pwm output.
Iam working on an lcd/rotary dial (non panalolu) to work on the melzi.
The printed parts are getting more and more straight/pretty.

20 (edited by manu01 2014-03-02 23:20:08)

Hello,
I am a very new Pangu I3 printer owner. I have made my first tests this week.
Many thanks YSB for your firmware. It was very usefull for me!!!
I am trying to print with ABS bought to RP3D with the printer but unfortunatly, with no success for the moment ;-(
So, I'm looking for some help. Does anyone have a Slic3r configuration file (bed/extruder t°c and infill speeds)?
... And what is the distance between tne bed and the extruder hotend ???

Many thanks in advance for your help and thanks a lots again for the information I found on this post ;-)

21 (edited by ysb 2014-03-03 00:31:31)

For my ABS filament, i use 200-220 deg C for the extruder and 110-120 deg C for the hotbed...  warning : for me the hotbed can sustain 120 deg ONLY if you didn't use the fan. With the fan, i can't pass 110 deg..

I will try to upload my slic3r config tomorrow

For the distance between the bed and the extruder tip, use a standard business card.. the card must pass between with just a little bit of strength

rpd3d price do yo-yo... the i3 is back to 350$ and the i2 drop down to 199$...

Hi Ysb,

Many thanks for your answer. I will try with your settings right now.
I can't wait printing, I hope I will have good results today.

See you soon and waiting for your slic3r config file ;-)

this is it...

Post's attachments

config.ini 3.29 kb, 44 downloads since 2014-03-03 

Thanks a lot,

It's midnight in France and tomorrow I unfortunatly have togo to work.
I'll try tomorrow with your setup.
The problem I'm facing is that Abs doesn't stick to the bed. Maybe my temperature sensor is not coorect. I'll check with a thermometer if I found one tomorrow.

Thanks again for the file and I will continu tomorrow!