1 (edited by sgmorton 2014-01-27 21:37:36)

Topic: Success and Failure with Filament Brands

At a minimum I'd like to know

• What Model Printer & Nozzle Size  (including relevant upgrades)

• Brand :

• Material :

• Color(s) :

• Measured Size :

• Bed Temp :

• Extruder Temp :

• Extrusion Multiplier :

• Grade of Print : A/B/C/D (be honest here)

• Comments

2 (edited by sgmorton 2014-01-26 17:07:59)

Re: Success and Failure with Filament Brands

My printer : Solidoodle 2 Pro, fully enclosed

Brand : Sainsmart
Color : White, Purple, Green
Material : ABS
Bed Temp : 90
Extruder Temp : 205
Extrusion Multiplier : 0.7
Grade of Print : A
perfect prints

Brand : MonoPrice
Color : White Black
perfect prints, this is my favorite brand right now (1.26.2013)

Brand : MonoPrice
Material : PLA
Color : Red
Bed Temp :60
Extruder Temp : 175
Grade of Print : D
Good prints until clogging, have not tried again

Brand : KBell
Color : Pink
Grade of Print : C
ok prints on smaller items, some layer adhesion issues and stringiness, not usable for large prints

Brand : KBell
Color : Orange, Tansparent
Extruder Temp : 190- 210
Extrusion Multiplier : 0.7 - 1.1
Grade of Print : F
unable to make it work get 5 good layers at best before it starts stripping and balling up

Brand : Solidoodle
Color : White

Brand : Solidoodle
Color : Blue
Grade of Print : C
Layer Adhesion, stringing, brittle prints

Brand : FavePrices(ebay)
Color : Sliver
Extrusion Multiplier : 1.0
Grade of Print : B+

I print this material at 80% Flowrate !!!!
I have had some very good prints from this ABS, but the filament does have some thin spots, they are minor, but on a smooth surface print they became very noticeable.

Octave, ABS, Green, Blue, Red ,White ,"Natural"(kind of a light grey) . Extruder 200, Bed 90,  no clogs. prints are great quality color is great too.

i hear good things about sainsmart might give them a try

4 (edited by adrian 2014-01-27 02:36:43)

sgmorton wrote:

Brand : FavePrices(ebay)
Color : Sliver
Extrusion Multiplier : 1.0
Grade of Print : B+

I print this material at 80% Flowrate !!!!
I have had some very good prints from this ABS, but the filament does have some thin spots, they are minor, but on a smooth surface print they became very noticeable.

Just FYI, if you print at 80% flowrate, then your multiplier based on a start of 1.0 is actually 0.8 ....

Also, you might want to include the filament actual diameters and error margin (+/- 0.05 etc) and nozzle size, as these extremely relevant to the multiplier - you need higher or lower multipliers based on the filament diamater, its margin of error, and the entered and thus computer diamater in slic3r. Else theres not much point in others worrying about what your stated multiplier is as slic3r is using this to calculate volume in combination with the filament diameter value and nozzle size in order to determine extruder speed and therefore amount of plastic it spits out.

E.g, entered diameter of 1.7, with multiplier 1.0, on filament that is 1.72mm (avg) will produce markedly different results to entered diameter 1.7, multiplier .9 on filament that is 1.68mm (avg)..

thats why i left that stuff out it really doesnt have anything to do with the quality of the filament...

6 (edited by sgmorton 2014-01-27 21:39:10)

I wish I had measured the filament back then. I am still learning and I have been wishing there was a thread like this. I tried all day yesterday to get the KBell to work and it just comes out poor on every effort. I am will amend the top post to include measurements.

I really meant this thread to see if others were having better luck with one brand over another.

I meant "Feedrate" on my previous item... I have to slow it way down to get it to print decently.

sgmorton wrote:

I wish I had measured the filament back then. I am still learning and I have been wishing there was a thread like this. I tried all day yesterday to get the KBell to work and it just comes out poor on every effort. I am will amend the top post to include measurements.

I really meant this thread to see if others were having better luck with one brand over another.

I meant "Feedrate" on my previous item... I have to slow it way down to get it to print decently.

I have had good luck with [link removed] before i used to buy off of e bay but i couldnt find a consistent high quality filament. Then someone on another forum posted about [link removed].  So i decided to give them a chance and sure enough havent had an issue. I have a few friends that always are looking for filament so I purchased a case for $300 with free shipping and sell some to my friends.

8 (edited by n2ri 2014-08-22 04:14:12)

the filament actual diameters and error margin (+/- 0.05 etc) say every 5cm for like 1 foot/30cm for average and nozzle size, are main worries of filament troubles. also if grading colors, maybe say if colors fade (meaning not dye but maybe magic marker applied) or if that color melts faster/slower than say Neutral.

I need to add some I have done. this can be very handy info either way as we can know what settings to use for best results on each type, so far havnt noted most settings just used defualt SD2 RH printer config.

the Solidoodle Neutral I would rate as B+ found a few tiny wood dust in it once (I wipe filament in the sponge guide from Thingaverse) 1.75mm ABS

have Used some Octave black and Red 1.75mm ABS
black rates A so far and flows easier than the Neutral SD,
Red rates lower maybe B as it oozes too easy filling in details like text in perimiter walls and smears like too much flow on thin prints a bit. have to make new slicer settings for this roll.

tried couple prints using Micro-center low price PLA in White, maybe I need more practice tweaking settings for it but was not impressed at all as it 1st is very squeaky to roll off spool, then tends to over heat too easy making very hard to find happy temp zone as 2 degrees low and it starts balling up at nozzle. so print had places nice and smooth and others either bubbled like peanut brittle or micro scopic bumps and needles in infill. also finished print was very brittle and not useable for intended use. earning it an D+ for now.

have many other rolls yet to try will post later

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs