Re: XYZ Printing DaVinci 1.0 $499 7.8" cubed

fr333n3rgy wrote:

XYZ Firmware update -- It seems (as predicted) that XYZ corp has released a software update with cart encryption. This was to be expected. I suggest that until a new update for the filament resetter is available you do NOT update the XYZware software - if you do, it will encrypt your cartridge making the resetter useless.

Thanks for the info, I won't do the update for now. I'm still learning this so I'd rather not complicate it with encryption. That's enough of a pain in the ass at my job.

piercedtiger wrote:
fr333n3rgy wrote:

XYZ Firmware update -- It seems (as predicted) that XYZ corp has released a software update with cart encryption. This was to be expected. I suggest that until a new update for the filament resetter is available you do NOT update the XYZware software - if you do, it will encrypt your cartridge making the resetter useless.

Thanks for the info, I won't do the update for now. I'm still learning this so I'd rather not complicate it with encryption. That's enough of a pain in the ass at my job.

Good idea. Just hold off for now, I've been told that my replacement xyz will be here on Monday, when it comes I will test the new code and make sure it works (which it should).

F3

Did your cartridge fail? Can't purchase a new one anywhere? Give your existing cartridge new life with http://wctek.com/xyz

Anyone have issues with the Da Vinci, where the bottom and top layers are not solid, I'm getting this a lot. I printing with a raft but it looks like the first layer and last layer are not printing solid enough.

There doesn't appear to be any way to upload a picture only link ;(

thanks
harry

54 (edited by ggunners 2014-04-18 15:05:43)

Hmmm....   Bottom layer should be just the Z-axis calibration happening correctly with good adhesion. My prints come out fine as long as I use the glue stick. You might try Z-axis calibration again.

On the top layers, I have found more perimeters works better for shallow curves near the top. In one of my prints with a rounded top 2 perimeters left gaps while 3 perimeters filled in the gaps. So, try increasing your shells in XYZware and zoom in to inspect the top fill before printing.

-- ggunners

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

55 (edited by piercedtiger 2014-04-18 15:31:55)

harrypottar wrote:

Anyone have issues with the Da Vinci, where the bottom and top layers are not solid, I'm getting this a lot. I printing with a raft but it looks like the first layer and last layer are not printing solid enough.

There doesn't appear to be any way to upload a picture only link ;(

thanks
harry

Some of my top layers are questionable, but the bottom ones without the raft are solid and smooth like glass. I've only used a raft once (to see wtf it did, really). After reading about it, I found it wasn't really needed with a heated table, and I haven't really needed it. The couple of items that didn't adhere well at the .1 layer thickness setting came out fine with some glue on the table. (FWIW, I tried the raft twice on the same print, redoing it a second time with glue on the table because even the raft was peeling up the first time.) The raft didn't peel off cleanly, basically tore at the edges of the phone case I made, leaving the rest stuck to the main body so I don't think I'll be using that setting.

I also rarely use glue. I only use glue when I start to print and notice filament peeling off the table. At that point I stop, clean the table, let it cool a little, put on the glue, and start again. But out of the 18 or so items I've printed I only needed glue for 2 of them.

56 (edited by harrypottar 2014-04-18 15:35:31)

Thanks for the quick feedback, I will certainly run the bed calibration. For my own clarification has I'm learning all this, I always use the glue stick and I've never had issues with models sticking. The raft always prints right on the bed but the first layer is always thin and has holes.

In slic3r you can tell it to print the first layer at say 3mm and the rest at say 1mm. I've ordered an SD Card extension purely for the fact I want to have more control and generate g-code in Slic3r  and copy directly to the printers SD Card.

I put in a feature request to XYZ Printing to allow the import of G-Code in their software and just forward (upload) verbatim to the printer.

Not sure if it will ever get implemented, but you could start with the simplistic  supplied software and move on to more complete solution later.

harry

57 (edited by piercedtiger 2014-04-18 15:50:26)

harrypottar wrote:

Thanks for the quick feedback, I will certainly run the bed calibration. For my own clarification has I'm learning all this, I always use the glue stick and I've never had issues with models sticking. The raft always prints right on the bed but the first layer is always thin and has holes.

In slic3r you can tell it to print the first layer at say 3mm and the rest at say 1mm. I've ordered an SD Card extension purely for the fact I want to have more control and generate g-code in Slic3r  and copy directly to the printers SD Card.

I put in a feature request to XYZ Printing to allow the import of G-Code in their software and just forward (upload) verbatim to the printer.

Not sure if it will ever get implemented, but you could start with the simplistic  supplied software and move on to more complete solution later.

harry

I would try printing without the raft. I think the heated table makes the bottom layer more solid, melting each pass together  like a coil of playdough or clay squeezed in a press. The raft doesn't allow the bottom layer to fuse together I don't think.

The first one had no raft.

The second one did, and it's still on. I could only tear off around the edges, but you can see above the raft it is not solid.

Post's attachments

20140418_114503.jpg
20140418_114503.jpg 800.12 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-04-18 

20140418_114515.jpg
20140418_114515.jpg 1.12 mb, 1 downloads since 2014-04-18 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Here are a few things I have found with my first week with this printer.  It does and can take standard g-code. The specs I have found list nozzle diameter as .4 but the slicer settings used by xyzware are .5  . 

Using SLIC3R I have gone from OK prints to fabulous prints.  I do this by taking model and slicing it and exporting gcode.  Opening that gcode file in a proper editor(text editing) and changing the file header to be more xyz like. I didn't always have to change the header but sometimes it gives printer error, so I just always do it as a matter of course.  Next I do a base64 encode on the entire file and save it as a .3w extension. Open xyzware and import said file and print.

If you are going to order an audrino for the cart hack just order the uno to be safe. radioshack also has small perf boards that can be cut to the cart hole size for a quick and easy cart re-flash set-up.

Oliver Fueckert at voltivo dot com/ has been the key driving force behind this and the base 64 encoding.  He has also snooped the serial coms between the machine and has provided me with a listing of the as yet known commands and syntax. I really believe it will not be long till this machine is fully hacked.

They are using a closed version of Repietier and some version of slic3r.

For what it's worth I got some black IC3d filament of of amazon and I was amazed how much better it was with stock xyzware slicing, and SO SO SO much better after using my own slicer settings and such. 

When I get some pla I will try it with different temps on bed and head.

I will try and get some you-tube vids done to help people do all of this if there is a demand.

Josh J
kzairsoft at gmail dot com if you need a more personal assistance.

On a side note I will be digging into the electronics today or tomorrow.

joshj wrote:

Here are a few things I have found with my first week with this printer.  It does and can take standard g-code. The specs I have found list nozzle diameter as .4 but the slicer settings used by xyzware are .5  . 

Using SLIC3R I have gone from OK prints to fabulous prints.  I do this by taking model and slicing it and exporting gcode.  Opening that gcode file in a proper editor(text editing) and changing the file header to be more xyz like. I didn't always have to change the header but sometimes it gives printer error, so I just always do it as a matter of course.  Next I do a base64 encode on the entire file and save it as a .3w extension. Open xyzware and import said file and print.

If you are going to order an audrino for the cart hack just order the uno to be safe. radioshack also has small perf boards that can be cut to the cart hole size for a quick and easy cart re-flash set-up.

Oliver Fueckert at voltivo dot com/ has been the key driving force behind this and the base 64 encoding.  He has also snooped the serial coms between the machine and has provided me with a listing of the as yet known commands and syntax. I really believe it will not be long till this machine is fully hacked.

They are using a closed version of Repietier and some version of slic3r.

For what it's worth I got some black IC3d filament of of amazon and I was amazed how much better it was with stock xyzware slicing, and SO SO SO much better after using my own slicer settings and such. 

When I get some pla I will try it with different temps on bed and head.

I will try and get some you-tube vids done to help people do all of this if there is a demand.

Josh J
kzairsoft at gmail dot com if you need a more personal assistance.

On a side note I will be digging into the electronics today or tomorrow.

Great info! I'm still trying to absorb it all, but I'd welcome any more info you have be it video or just a list of instructions!

Not sure I get the encoding bit, although I'm familiar with using slic3r to get the gcode. I just copy it to the SD card overwriting a sample file then use the front panel to tell the printer to print that sample. Getting the slic3r output into the XYZ software to send that way might be easier. I keep thinking I'll damage or wear out the SD card slot.

Thanks for the info, I will try the base 64 encoded g-code and let you know, I have something printing for the next 5 hours, but I will test after that. When I looked at the 3w file it was a binary file not base 64 encoded text.

thanks
harry

I didn't want to cut the panel on the machine for sd slot hack for one, and I'd rather not get off my arse to start the print, LOL. Yes I guess you could wear out the card slot.

The holy grail will either be a firmware or being able to stream the g-code.

The newer version of the slicer software encodes it a bit screwy, and we have not got that bit sorted as of yet, but it will read a base64 saved file(older version save) then it re-encodes it to new format.

I will also get the communication commands up in here tonight.

Are there any moderators reading this? Can we get a sub-section?
This printer has got to be the fastest unit selling at the moment and will draw in allot of first printers.
It would be nice to be able sort out the info presented based on the type, like slicer info and all that JAZZ.

Well, you've all convinced me. DaVinci arrives on Tuesday.

I'm looking forward to the hacks to open it up, but even out of the box it doesn't sound too bad at all, especially when you consider the price.

Don: Folger Tech 2020 Kossel Rev A + Borosilicate + Snow Effector
        Davinci 1.0 + Repetier : Filastruder
        SD3 + RAMPS + Lawsy Carriages + E3D + Borosilicate + ... : Cupcake

Any idea if there's a new firmware along with the new XYZ app, and if we can do the firmware without encrypting the cartridge? I'm looking at some of the things I've printed and I'm not sure if the design is off, or if the printer needs to be calibrated more. Wondering if newer firmware would help.

Also, XYZ pointed me to this site to fix some of the STL files I've had problems with so I might give that a shot to see what it does. https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net

Ok, after a lot of tinkering I finally got a slic3r exported gcode file to run on the Da Vinci.

Would it be worth starting a new thread to discuss slic3r (gcode) settings?

Talking mainly about the optimum printer settings such as bed and extruder heat setting etc.

It does look like the cartridge filament use is control by the gcode and not by hardware. Screwing with stop the usage going down but you lose the estimated time to print.

This would be a good discussion point, can we null out the filament use counter but still maintain visual indication of time left. Although I had a 4 hour print yesterday using the xyz software that actually took over 11 hours so is this realistic anyway.

Harry

harrypottar wrote:

Ok, after a lot of tinkering I finally got a slic3r exported gcode file to run on the Da Vinci.

Talking mainly about the optimum printer settings such as bed and extruder heat setting etc.

It does look like the cartridge filament use is control by the gcode and not by hardware. Screwing with stop the usage going down but you lose the estimated time to print.

This would be a good discussion point, can we null out the filament use counter but still maintain visual indication of time left. Although I had a 4 hour print yesterday using the xyz software that actually took over 11 hours so is this realistic anyway.

Harry

Does the time really matter? I mean, mine will start out with an ETA of an hour, and an hour later it still have an hour left with an hour on the run time. So it's about as accurate as a Microsoft progress bar.

piercedtiger wrote:
harrypottar wrote:

Harry

Does the time really matter? I mean, mine will start out with an ETA of an hour, and an hour later it still have an hour left with an hour on the run time. So it's about as accurate as a Microsoft progress bar.

LOL, no not really, its more a time management thing, I kept holding off going bed last night until the OUYA case I was printing finished. The time estimate was off by 7 hours, I just have to have more faith and trust the machine. I supposed I have more faith in the machine than I do in the filament. I've had a couple of jams where the filament is wound on to its self, I've had to de-spool a couple of turns and re-spool a few times.

It would be nice in the sense of the "Holy Grail" but not a show stopper by any means.

harrypottar wrote:

LOL, no not really, its more a time management thing, I kept holding off going bed last night until the OUYA case I was printing finished. The time estimate was off by 7 hours, I just have to have more faith and trust the machine. I supposed I have more faith in the machine than I do in the filament. I've had a couple of jams where the filament is wound on to its self, I've had to de-spool a couple of turns and re-spool a few times.

It would be nice in the sense of the "Holy Grail" but not a show stopper by any means.

Gotcha! I did that a couple times, now I just walk away from it. lol How are you running the spool? I printed out this one http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:293623, and I feed the filament under the spool between the uprights, not over the top. Over the top tended to cause filament to pop off and wrap around things. I've actually thought about making a small fairlead to guide the filament off the spool.

I tried a couple of spool holders from thingverse but none seemed sturdy enough. I'm taking an autocad course over at lynda.com to learn some cad skill so I can conceive some of my own ideas. In the meantime I  cheated and order http://printrbot.com/shop/spool-rack/ from print bot they also have a dolly type spool holder http://printrbot.com/shop/spool-coaster/ both are just 10$.

harry

The one I did isn't very strong laterally, but it's enough to hold the spool vertical and keep it steady. Pretty sure it would break if I dropped it, but it's pretty stable on top of the printer and does the job for now until I find something better.

Anyone else interested, Bed, Bath and Beyond sells an 8 inch lazy susan (Trivet) for 10$. You can lay the spool on its side and it turns quite well, need to design and print filament guide.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/p … 1013639060

harry

http://imageshack.com/a/img833/6492/tmv4.jpg

$5 worth of PVC from hardware store, very easy, very configurable. And 100% ghetto.

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

Anyone tried Transparent filament and gotten it to work? Was able to fool it to get it loaded but when I go to print it says no filament.

And is anyone else running into needing to, or seemingly needing to, recalibrate the print bed every 4-5 prints? They might also be happening after each software revision.

Not had any issue with bed calibration, well don't think I have, not sure has this is all new to me. On my 4th filament roll since I've had it and not touched the bed. Since I've been playing with slic3r the quality of the printed results are a lot and I mean a lot better.

Not had any transparent filament to try, maybe there is a sensor that does not see it?

Harry

Could you share your slic3r config files for say .300, .200 and .100. Along with the printer config and filament config? -- ggunners

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

I'm all new to this 3d printing lark so take what I post with a pinch of salt, I'm experimenting as I go.

Attached ini file fro silc3r

Print Settings;

I attached some screen shots of the print setting rather than risk typos. Wish I could upload images to display.
Didn't touch:
Support Material: not printing anything through slic3r that needed it yet.
Output Options: No Sequential printing.
Multiple Extruders: all set to 1
Advanced left as defaults.

Things noticed from a beginner:
Horizontal Shells; Solid Layers:
With a fine print at 0.1mm I had the bottom set at 5, which means just 0.5 mm you could raise this even more as some of my bases where thin. My next print I'm going to go with 8. However it does depend on the model of course.

I set the heat of the extruder to 230c from first level and 220c for the rest, this seems to print a smother object using XYZ filament. However it does take a little longer to get to the temperature, XYZ seem to use 220c.

Will post more as I play, I welcome any and all comments good or bad has I'm learning fast.

Harry

Post's attachments

DaVinciConfig.ini 2.99 kb, 67 downloads since 2014-04-21 

Infill.png
Infill.png 40.71 kb, 12 downloads since 2014-04-21 

Layers.png
Layers.png 48.93 kb, 10 downloads since 2014-04-21 

Skirt.png
Skirt.png 16.17 kb, 9 downloads since 2014-04-21 

Speed.png
Speed.png 42.31 kb, 9 downloads since 2014-04-21 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.