Re: Beginners First Steps... First steps in troubleshooting

jcotton wrote:

I brought the printer home for spring break and instead of doing those odd jobs around the house I have been jacking with this thing. One of my neighbors mowed my yard yesterday.

the hermit stage of owning a 3D printer will pass with time...

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

jcotton wrote:

Which software seems to be the best?

what are you using now?

Filastruder

28 (edited by DePartedPrinter 2013-03-28 23:30:36)

ian put this up earlier today. Might help.

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/1889/the … gs-around/

Filastruder

I'm using Pronterface at the moment cause Repetier v0.82 won't work with Windows 7. I did download v0.83 but I need to work on all the settings.

Skip pronto and get on RH.  I found that it was less frustrating to use while dialing in your printer.  Plus there are alot of good threads about doing those things in RH.

I don't like Pronto at all. My school desktop and laptop both run XP so let's try that. The hair spray worked!!! Glad I got five pieces cut.

jcotton wrote:

Which software seems to be the best?

Personally, I use Repetier-host mainly because of Ian's blog (http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/201 … tier-host/) But other use Pronterface, I guess it's up to the user. In my experience, I'll say that repetier is easy, but I can't compare it to anything else, so take that for what its worth.

I seem to Repetier better just for the versatility. Pronterface seems that it may work faster for prototypes. Thanks for everyone's help. Hair spray is the trick but don't you Aussie Mega cause you may need a chisel.

So again, I think it would be awesome to create a living document that users are required to read before signing up. This document should conglomerate all of the actual solutions to common problems. These may include hot end issues, bed heating issues, z wobble, enclosures, slicing files and settings, and then perhaps sections on mods in order from essential to cool to have.

I've sort of lost interest in being a part of this forum.  No meaningful posts stay active long enough to get recognized and generate interesting conversation. Instead, the new posts are increasingly full of one or two guys warring with words and the same questions for the millionth time.  As a side note, I've been teaching my 12 year old son about 3d printing and have been so proud of how much he has learned mostly from reading this site, but I no longer feel comfortable having him read the posts with the insane stuff being said. We are no prudes, but this is past out of control.  It was amazing in the beginning when there were 15-20 of us and we were solving problems left and right with verified solutions. With more very smart people, we should be making great mods and pushing the Doodle forward.

My suggestion may be, as others have mentioned, a soliforum area that has common problems with one locked solution as the first thing to show up. Comments could be made, maybe even locked to a select few, to suggest updates to the op. If each one of us that has lived with the Doodle for the majority of the time takes one section, it would minimize the work. I would be more than willing to help in any way needed to help get this forum back to being so helpful and such a pleasure to be a part of. Sorry for the rant, just getting tough to see what's happening here after so many great contributions from so many great people.

jooshs wrote:

So again, I think it would be awesome to create a living document that users are required to read before signing up. This document should conglomerate all of the actual solutions to common problems. These may include hot end issues, bed heating issues, z wobble, enclosures, slicing files and settings, and then perhaps sections on mods in order from essential to cool to have.

I've sort of lost interest in being a part of this forum.  No meaningful posts stay active long enough to get recognized and generate interesting conversation. Instead, the new posts are increasingly full of one or two guys warring with words and the same questions for the millionth time.  As a side note, I've been teaching my 12 year old son about 3d printing and have been so proud of how much he has learned mostly from reading this site, but I no longer feel comfortable having him read the posts with the insane stuff being said. We are no prudes, but this is past out of control.  It was amazing in the beginning when there were 15-20 of us and we were solving problems left and right with verified solutions. With more very smart people, we should be making great mods and pushing the Doodle forward.

My suggestion may be, as others have mentioned, a soliforum area that has common problems with one locked solution as the first thing to show up. Comments could be made, maybe even locked to a select few, to suggest updates to the op. If each one of us that has lived with the Doodle for the majority of the time takes one section, it would minimize the work. I would be more than willing to help in any way needed to help get this forum back to being so helpful and such a pleasure to be a part of. Sorry for the rant, just getting tough to see what's happening here after so many great contributions from so many great people.

As someone strongly interested in getting a Solidoodle, this would easily sell me. I'm seeing all of this information scattered here and there, but for instance, I see people casually referring to an updated z-axis anti-backlash upgrade and don't know what they are specifically referring to. And I think I've seen people call to arms for a definitive guide from time to time, just no one wants to take the lead.

But please don't underestimate how much new users (silently) appreciate the tremendous amount of help you guys put into this.

I have created a page in  www.soliwiki.com called  "Beginners First Steps... First steps in troubleshooting" under   Troubleshooting
http://www.soliwiki.com/Beginners_First … leshooting

Anyone can add to it but lets keep it simple for the newbee