Topic: 3D Systems' Sense scanner

Interesting article in Engaget about the new $400 3D Systems Sense Scanner:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/08/3d-systems-sense/

It outputs STL and should work just fine with a Solidoodle.  If I can get one, I'll compare it to using my Kinect for scanning.

SD2, glass bed, MK5 setup with E3D lite extruder
NX and Solid Edge CAD user
PI, Galileo, and arduino hacker
Code Monkey and Twitter user @burhop

Re: 3D Systems' Sense scanner

LOL  let's see I have a kinect and a matterform on order, I guess i'll have to break open the piggy bank to get that one.If it's as good as they say it is , it should replace all the others.

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

They don't seem to actually say how good it is :-). I tend to suspect it won't be as good at scanning parts with exact dimensions and such as the dual laser turntable systems, but it can certainly scan larger stuff.

Ohh boy I just bought one

We need to stop posting new products and technology otherwise my holes in my
pockets will get bigger lol

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

5 (edited by adrian 2013-11-09 02:09:39)

Will be curious in the comparison, since the 'Sense would appear to have the low-res PrimeSense (hence the name) sensor from a Kinect.. and given the departure the Kinect team has had for the 2.0 and their 'high res' sensor that hits PC's in what... 3 months or so?... I'm not sure this will be anything other than a Kinect in another box ?

And they dont actually show any meshes or STL's.. oh sure, the video 'implies' they have just scanned and printed, but its a very, ahem, marketing department video wink so the quality question is a really big one ....

Anyway - I'm still tempted to just get the much higher res Kinect 2.0 next year if I decide to move into the scanning realm... no point buying what is nothing else than a Kinect with potentially a software front end. Hardware wise, its def. 3 year old+ technology and not bringing anything 'new' to the party.

I suspect its just a closing window of opportunity between the release of Makerbot lazy susan and the upcoming Kinect 2.0 for PC that will kill this in terms of res...

3 yr old repackaged technology with a glitzy you tube video is were I rate this right now smile

I'm waiting for something better. The comments on Engadget are something to consider.

Considering that they own Geomagic now, I would expect the software at least to be top notch.

Yeah I thought it could possibly be a dressed up kinect. I'm going to cancel my order on Monday since their online system doesn't allow you to cancel your order so I have to call.

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

For the Americans, it looks like they will be selling it at Staples this month. I'd really like to see some meshes out of this thing.

3DSystems also got RapidForm before Geometric.  They certainly have the right people to do some good software.

SD2, glass bed, MK5 setup with E3D lite extruder
NX and Solid Edge CAD user
PI, Galileo, and arduino hacker
Code Monkey and Twitter user @burhop

New scanner up on Kickstarter, Rubicon 3D Scanner. This project is kind of fishy. He hasn't shown any scans in real time. I see a laser light show.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/568 … 3d-scanner

He had 287 backers previously on Indiegogo.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rubicon-3d-scanner

parker wrote:

New scanner up on Kickstarter, Rubicon 3D Scanner. This project is kind of fishy. He hasn't shown any scans in real time. I see a laser light show.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/568 … 3d-scanner

He had 287 backers previously on Indiegogo.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rubicon-3d-scanner

It's not a new scanner it was originally started on indiegogo which he provided stls of his scans. We have a thread already created for this scanner.

Got my money back this morning. I should really try and take the time before purchasing any new scanners or printer's.

The scanner is new as in new on kickstarter. I did disclose that it was previously on Indiegogo. There is no thread for it on this section of the forum and I did not want to create a new one.

Neither of these two look any good.

14 (edited by techbuilder2175 2013-11-11 22:22:21)

Sorry didn't see that

Anyway here's the thread
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/3836/rub … anner-199/

It is also in the Latest in 3D Printing on the bottom of the first page

To avoid confusion both of the threads probably should be moved over to - 3D Modelling/Scanning/Design

If I wanted to find scanners, I would be looking over there and not in "The Latest in 3D Printing".

3D scanning was just added to the 3D Modelling/Design section after that was posted

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/4228/3d- … g-section/

Latest in 3D printing would regard any new developments or products regarding 3d printing

parker wrote:

To avoid confusion both of the threads probably should be moved over to - 3D Modelling/Scanning/Design

If I wanted to find scanners, I would be looking over there and not in "The Latest in 3D Printing".

There is a search function, which alleviates any such issue.

18 (edited by curlrup 2013-11-15 00:25:09)

It sucks. A Kinect in a fancy case. 3D doesn't innovate anything anymore. They just buy people out or license another product slap their logo on it and make sure you can only  use their material. Ahem, Cubify...I mean Up...I mean Cubify. They used to innovate 10 years ago but then they went public.