26 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-11-27 04:17:51)

Re: Updated Pics! - RepRapDiscount "Bulldog" Allmetal Extruder Project

techbuilder2175 wrote:

That coupler only will only work with the threadless ball screw as the variations in the rod will cause it to bind.

I look forward to seeing the difference the 1/32 micro stepping makes

That coupler is on there tighter than I have been able to get them with screws and better centered. The coupler uses thermal expansion (375 in an oven for 2 hours) to fit on the 8mm rod then as it cools it shrinks to the original size (which is under 8mm) and holds on very tight. I wasn't able to get it off of my test rod using channel locks and a vise. (without damaging the rod)

But yes, I would assume that this wouldn't work on a threaded rod.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

I like that coupler........ Do want......

It looks like I no longer will need to fun a fan on the E3D?

Stevos758 wrote:

I like that coupler........ Do want......

It looks like I no longer will need to fun a fan on the E3D?

It seems that way. I think Sanjay said before that you should be okay without the fan unless you start printing PC or anything at higher temps. Don't quote me on that.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

I print nylon frequently. I suppose I can modify you fan design a bit just to be safe.

30 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-12-06 15:58:43)

The bulldog has a fan built in that seems to cool the fins just fine. I have done several extended tests at 310C (turns the extruder into a self cleaning oven at that point)

If you are worried I added a fan mount for cooling the E3D Fins.

Post's attachments

Bulldog_E3D_cooler.stl 298.72 kb, 73 downloads since 2013-12-06 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD3 w/ mods:

2n2r5 wrote:

The bulldog has a fan built in that seems to cool the fins just fine. I have done several extended tests at 310C (turns the extruder into a self cleaning oven at that point)

What you mean "self cleaning oven" smile sorry my english is really poor.

reprapdiscount wrote:
2n2r5 wrote:

What you mean "self cleaning oven" smile sorry my english is really poor.

He means at that temp it will help carbonize any bits of plastic and combined with the stainless steel when you purge new filament through it effectively 'cleans' it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-cleaning_oven

Its not quite a self cleaning oven, since they often use much much higher temps - and if you do this in a well ventilated area to avoid the small amount of noxious gases released depending on the filament, it can prevent having to blow torch a nozzle to unblock it.

I should have said that running the E3D at 310C makes the hotend into a self cleaning oven. If you have any filament in the hotend when you run it at that temp for an extended period of time, the filament turns into ash.

SD3 w/ mods:

I understand now smile thank you both for the explanation.

Sorry for the newb question but to install the XL on my sd3 with the print board is there anything else I have to do besides change the steps per min?

Solidoodle 3, Bulldog XL Direct Drive, Well Nut for Z axis, borosilicate glass, E3D V6 Hot end, Custom Encloser, Lawsy Carriages with Linear Bearings and Polished 8mm Chrome rods.