Re: DIY Smoothing Station II

FYI, vapors condense on mirror then pool into liquid on the glass, getting onto bottom of part. Kapton is probably better choice.
Is this thread dead?

The thread is very old, at least.  The ideal base would be something like a bed of nails, where the print would be held up by a few points so pooling acetone could not reach it, and vapor can reach the bottom.

IanJohnson wrote:

The thread is very old, at least.  The ideal base would be something like a bed of nails, where the print would be held up by a few points so pooling acetone could not reach it, and vapor can reach the bottom.

aka, "Pin Beds"... As extensively used in laser cutting etc to avoid flashbacks...

Easily home manufactured, but commercial ones are very nice with simple systems to enable you to add/remove pins as needed - the home versions tend to be nailed-into-base-board solutions wink

lawsy wrote:

Great post!

I prefer the gloss look and I think you and Ian have inspired me to design an Arduino controlled acetone vapor finisher when I finish my current project.

Now thats something I would love to buy if it comes out well sir!

As for the finishing techniques,  this is a wonderful tutorial! Hats off to you sir!

how to find a firmware from website for a 3d printer