Topic: No voltage from extruder on ramps 1.4

Hi everyone,

It appears I don't have 12volts coming out when I turn the extruder on.

I've read in another forum that it could be caused from the thermistor however that doesn't
seem to be the case for my instance.

Have any ideas?

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

Re: No voltage from extruder on ramps 1.4

So, if you dont have your hotend up to a certain temperature, your E motor will not run (by default).

You can turn this off. I believe its is called

#DEFINE DANGEROUSEXTRUDE

If you comment that out, you can turn on your extruder with the hotend cold. Only use if you know what you are doing (as in you plan to run the extruder without any filament in it).

Chuck Bittner is a quadriplegic gamer who is petitioning the major console developers to include internal button remapping in all console games. You can help.
Sign Chuck Bittners petition

You can send gcode M302 to allow cold extrusion.

4 (edited by adrian 2013-11-01 14:34:14)

which port do you have your heater in? D9 or D10 ?

In the marlin we use, the extruder 0 goes into D9, and extruder 1 goes into D10 and fan goes to D4 (which needs a buffer on it as its just digital i/o) if you use type 34. If you use type 33, then its Extruder0 in D9, Fan in D10, Servos at D4.

I'm just going to guess that your firmware is setup to turn on 'the other' pins to the one you are using...

EDIT: Forgot to mention - quick test to confirm assuming you configured as type 33 - manually turn on 'fan' in repetier-host and if your extruder temp rises, you need to swap heater outputs...

I have type 33 selected and it appears that I'm correctly in E0.

I have swapped between d9 and d10 to test and nothing. I measured with
my bench top multimeter on d9 and d10 none of which have voltage getting applied to them
when I turn the voltage on to my extrduer.

I don't have a fan hooked up to d10 however
would that prevent my extruder from going hot?

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

techbuilder2175 wrote:

I have type 33 selected and it appears that I'm correctly in E0.

I have swapped between d9 and d10 to test and nothing. I measured with
my bench top multimeter on d9 and d10 none of which have voltage getting applied to them
when I turn the voltage on to my extrduer.

I don't have a fan hooked up to d10 however
would that prevent my extruder from going hot?

Nope. Only other thing is to check that you have the power connected into the 5A connector correctly...

Man, not seen someone have such a rash of bad luck with a RAMPS install - it usually not this hard honest and complete newbies have gotten through it so someone or something is clearly conspiring against you smile

Seriously
I'm going to test the mosfet to verify if it’s receiving 5 volts.
Worst case comes I already ordered another ramps board.

Hopefully all goes well

Update

I installed my new board and I still seem to have the problem of my extruder not heating up which must mean it's in the software.

I've hooked up my extruder to my power supply and it works great so I know the extruder works correctly.

I've measured the output of d9 and no voltage

any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

9 (edited by adrian 2013-11-04 07:44:20)

Hmmm.. ok - what firmware repository have you taken the firmware from ? Mine, Solidoodles, Lawsys, ErikZalms ?

Mine and Lawsys (which are one in the same these days) have worked fine out-of-the-box for RAMPS 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4. All you need to do is set the motherboard_type to == 33 or 34 depending on what config you want, and thats it - this is based on the number of people I know who have deployed the software from my repository onto RAMPS (and Sang's) on both Solidoodles and Non-Solidoodles...  I've also used EirkZalms raw version (aka, mainline Marlin_V1) on about 1/2 dozen other printers again with out nary an issue...

Basically, there is nothing in software outside of the low-temp tests that will prevent your extruder heating - theres just no code there that gets involved in that. The only test is to ensure that the thermistor is NOT in MinTemp state or above MaxTemp state - both of which are fairly obvious as your extruder will be reporting <5° or >225°... If your Extruder is reporting the correct tempreature, then thats it - theres no other code involved here.

Download the firmware from https://github.com/ozadr1an/Solidoodle- … in_v1_beta and I can assure you there is 100% nothing there to prevent the extruder turning on outside the parameters I've outlined above...  Ext0 is on D9, Ext1 is on D10 under 34, and Ext0 is on D9 and Fan is on D10 under 33.

I believe you'll end up back at poking around your hardware... because assuming you haven't just ignored the temperature reported to date and we discover you dont have the thermistor hooked in - there just isn't anything else in the firmware to prevent it... 

The only other thing I can suggest is - Go back and make sure you've followed the steps in http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2816/how … ontroller/ or http://www.soliforum.com/topic/303/ramp … olidoodle/ - both of which are succesful examples of RAMPS conversion and have been followed successfully by quite a few others.

Failing that - you have a faulty RAMPS board...

I would focus on the thermistor, it's wiring, etc.

I'm currently using your latest update adrian. I'll check thoroughly on every connection, this is the second ramps board I purchased so hopefully my luck is not that bad to where both the boards are responding incorrectly the same way.

The thermistor currently reads correctly I'll take a look again

it appears that when I turned the fan on I received 12v to d9 however d10 had no power. I switched from 33 to 34 and now it works correctly however this is a work around since d10 still doesn't emit voltage

You have fan checked in RH and set to 100?

I did temporarily to test if there was voltage applied to the fan.

It's no longer on since I switched to 34

Hazer wrote:

So, if you dont have your hotend up to a certain temperature, your E motor will not run (by default).

You can turn this off. I believe its is called

#DEFINE DANGEROUSEXTRUDE

If you comment that out, you can turn on your extruder with the hotend cold. Only use if you know what you are doing (as in you plan to run the extruder without any filament in it).

Thanks mate, thought i had a bad driver or the how'l board fried again big_smile

post your configuration.h and configuration_adv.h to pastebin and send me the link. Its either a) wrong pinouts or b) wrong motherboard selection or c) bad voltage regulator