1 (edited by mohamd 2013-10-03 11:04:30)

Topic: Installing fans for the controller and extruder

Hi,

First, I would like to thank the community for helping me and other newbies get our Solidoodle 3d printers working correctly and solving our problems. I am starting to get nice prints and try to improve things gradually.

There are nice modifications that I would like to try in the future. Currently though I need to install fans for the controller board and extruder and I need your help again in that regard.
I know there are forum topics like http://www.soliforum.com/topic/204/fan-installation/ but that seems to be for solidoodle 2 and for extruder fan only. I need to install both extruder and controller fans.

My 3d printer is stock Solidoodle 3 without any modification.

What do I need to add fans to my printer?
What is the fan size for the extruder fan and the controller fan?
How to add the fans? (In simple and easy steps).

Actually, I will not install the fans myself but will ask someone to do it for me but he does not know about 3d printers and I want to make sure I understand the main steps so that it will be done correctly.

Thanks in advance

2 (edited by Hunter Green 2013-10-03 13:55:03)

Re: Installing fans for the controller and extruder

Installing fans to cool the controller is very simple.  Here's the one I did:

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:37220

http://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/6b/fb/79/95/ca/376777_657635897584092_1652330888_n_preview_featured.jpg

All that was required was printing that fan cover, then buying a pair of 40mm fans (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HT … &psc=1) and a 12V power supply (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00452 … &psc=1), and buying some bolts and nuts at the hardware store long enough to go the thickness of the fans, and small enough to fit them.  I screwed the fans onto the fan cover, wired them to the power supply (I used some simple crimp connectors), and then took off the plastic cover already there and replaced it with this assembly.  You can see more pictures of it at the first link above, at each step along its assembly.

People with more electronics savvy than me would find the way I wired it to that simple power supply to be a bit silly.  You may prefer wiring it directly into the Solidoodle's own power supply, or into some extra terminals on the power supply you replaced for it, or something.  I went with that cheap 12V external supply because it made me confident it wouldn't have any effect on the printer itself, so if I did it wrong, it'd be easy to address.

The newer Solidoodle 3s use a different sized and shaped printer controller board, so you might need a different plate.  But the process should be very similar.  It's one of the easiest improvements you can do, using no special tools beyond a screwdriver, some needle-nose pliers, and wire cutters.

A fan on the extruder is a little trickier and it depends on where you want it pointing, and what kind of extruder mount you're using, so I'll leave that question for others.

Thanks Hunter Green.

That is simple and easy way to install controller fan and I will keep it as an option.

Why two 40mm fan and not one or one bigger? Although in my case, that could be good option because it is very hot here in summer.
What if I want to connect the fan directly to Solidoodle's own power supply? How to do it that way? and What is better?

The extruder fan will be used (with duct?) to cool the printed parts -when needed- to get better results in my print.

4 (edited by mohamd 2013-10-04 14:05:56)

This is my Solidoodle 3 controller board

Solidoodle 3 Controller

What is the name of this controller board?

5 (edited by 3d-oodler 2013-10-04 16:53:24)

mohamd wrote:

This is my Solidoodle 3 controller board

What is the name of this controller board?

Sanguinololu (aka Sanguino)

anyone know why the board is named that? What a painful word to say!

I'm assuming its a combo of Sanguino & Pololu

SD2 w/ mods: Rumba controller, ATX PSU, SD pro case, glass bed, with more to come...

Is this the latest (stock) controller board for solidoodle 3?
Should I update the firmware?

Returning to the main point:
How to install fan for the extruder?
How to connect the extruder and controller fans to solidoodle’s own power supply?
Alternatively, should I connect them to external power supply?

There is a fan on the extruder, is it for cooling the motor? The one I need is for cooling the printed parts.

Bump

My SD3:  Clear plexiglass case, case heater, X axis stabilizer, Z axis stabilizer, thumb screws, filament guide, heatsinks on all motors, extruder fan, controller fan, heatsinks on motherboard, Y rod pillow block, USB and Power on/off switch, fully calibrated including trimpot tuning. Am I missing anything?

10 (edited by spapadim 2013-12-23 17:13:31)

For nozzle fan: Printrboard has MOSFET-controlled fan pins, Sanguinololu doesn't so you'll need eg this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:22202 (it's a pretty easy circuit) and you'll need to suck out solder from PCB pads, add pin headers, and update firmware to enable fan pin. Search these forums, plenty of instructions, including a couple of dedicated threads.

Tip for sucking out solder with wick, that may be counterintuitive at first: start by *adding* solder (preferable low melt point, but anything should work better than not adding). Also, don't use a $10 soldering iron, use an $80 Hakko for example (assuming you use it for other things, you'll be glad you got it). Alternatively, if all this puts you off, you can just wire it always-on... but it's not that hard.

For physically mounting fan, depends on your hotend and carriage. Again, plenty of options on these forums and on Thingiverse.

Yes, always-on fan fan at back of extruder is for cooling the motor. For any additional always on fans (eg board, X motor, etc): you need 12V in any way you can get it, so: can splice to input 12V terminals (but wouldn't recommend inserting two pairs of wires in the screw terminals! I soldered a splice), or splice to existing 12V extruder motor fan wire, or add a header (between E and Z stepper pins on Sang), or... All these pins are just connected anyway, so anything should work, current draw isn't that big.

Hope this helps.

I have a similar question.  I have a sort of custom extruder setup where the barrel is actively cooled with a fan.  I want to modify it so that the air used for cooling the barrel is directed over the print to help cool the plastic (which is ABS).  Since this setup requires that the fan be always on, I was wondering if there could be any detrimental effect on print quality by having constant air blowing over the print.  In terms of layer adhesion, I would just increase the extrusion temp. so that it sticks well but it would just cool and harden quicker.  I know this sort of thing is good for bridging and fast layers, but is it ok to run 100% of the time?

I have never been a fan of solder wick.  The capillary-effect performance of wick is too dependent on soldering iron temperature, solder quality, and PCB tracing...plus I think an inexperienced person is more likely to overheat electronic components or damage the PCB. 

I prefer a vacuum desoldering tool ('solder sucker') instead.  I think they also do a cleaner, quicker job.  Radio Shack catalog #64-2098 is $6.88.  Numerous online retailers will have a Jonard DP-100, which is higher vacuum, for less than $20.  Those two are my weapons of choice.

Numerous YouTube videos demonstrate desoldering techniques; do what works best for you.

13 (edited by spapadim 2013-12-24 15:29:31)

FWIW, I have my nozzle fan either completely on or completely off. It's not a very powerful fan anyway. I never had de lamination where I suspected the fan as primary cause. Then again I don't unnecessarily stress parts and/or try to design for max tensile strength as necessary. Increasing extrusion temp: maybe a little, but you should generally avoid (don't want filament too runny etc etc). If I'm paranoid, I may increase width-over-height ratio instead.

For wick, I guess YMMV.. smile I'm by no means expert, but never had much luck with spring-loaded pumps. Perhaps not using right, or my hands are not that steady (but I do use them occasionally). However, you are right about overheating, so I should add rule of thumb I follow: if wick doesn't start sucking and gets hot enough to burn your fingers at about 2in away from tip, STOP. Go have a drink, come back, and try again. smile