Topic: Upgrading to the Azteeg X3

The Azteeg X3 controller is equivalent to the RAMPS 1.4  It supports two extruders, 6 endstops, has a built in MicroSD card reader, and has many expansion pins, including support for up to 5 gcode controllable fans or LEDs.  Here is the page about it at the RepRap wiki- http://reprap.org/wiki/Azteeg_X3.  It is available from http://www.panucatt.com/.

The board comes without headers, which must be soldered on.  This gives you the ability to choose straight or angled headers when ordering (it's best to get angled headers).  If you haven't soldered anything to a circuit board before, I recommend these tutorials -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYz5nIHH0iY Part 2

If you follow his recommendations for equipment and solder, the job will be much easier than if you try a direct plug-in solder pen and some random solder (ask how I know).  Also get some small shrink wrap sleeves for rewiring the endstops.

Read the directions and wiring guide at the RepRap wiki.  In addition to the headers for endstops, thermistors, and motors, I recommend getting additional headers to add to the expansion pins while you are at it, especially the area designated for Fans and LEDs.  When you want to add features later, they will be ready to plug in.

There are plenty of warnings not to power up the stepper drivers without a motor attached.  So if you ordered drivers with the board, put aside the one meant for extruder 2 to keep as a spare, or save it for the day that you design that second extruder mod for the Solidoodle.

The endstops need to be wired differently than they were for the Sanguinololu, both at the endstop and the connector. 

http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_5624.jpg

The Common wire needs to go to the left pin of the connector.  The other wire needs to move from the Normally Closed (NC) pin on the other end to the Normally Open (NO) pin in the middle.  That wire goes to the middle pin on the connector. 

There are angled headers on the edge of the board for MIN endstops, and straight headers behind them for MAX endstops.  The Solidoodle uses MAX endstops for X and Y, meaning the endstops are placed at the maximum coordinates for those axis (X=150 and Y=150) rather than the minimum coordinates (XY=0).  The Z endstop is at minimum, since it is near the extruder at 0.

It is easier to plug the enstops into the Min headers on the edge of the board.  To do those, go in to the firmware and tell it to use the Minimum Pins for Maximum endstops-

Follow the directions posted elsewhere for updating firmware.  When it is open in Arduino, first go to configuration.h and  change

#define MOTHERBOARD 62

to

#define MOTHERBOARD 33

go to pins.h and find the section that starts #if MOTHERBOARD == 33 || MOTHERBOARD == 34

Switch the Pins between Min and Max for the X and Y axis.  Change

#define X_MIN_PIN           3
#define X_MAX_PIN           2

to

#define X_MIN_PIN           2
#define X_MAX_PIN           3

and change

#define Y_MIN_PIN          14
#define Y_MAX_PIN          15

to

#define Y_MIN_PIN          15
#define Y_MAX_PIN          14

While you are there, check the fan pin-

#define FAN_PIN            9

If you have a fan mounted in a nozzle duct, you can connect the wires to the screw terminals meant for the second extruder.  If you do this, leave the pin set to nine.  Alternatively, you can plug the connector into the first header pair in the Fans/LEDs section.  If you do that, change the pin to 4.  If you can't fit the connector on the first pair, you can plug it onto the last pair in which case you would make it pin 11.

If the motors won't move because it says the endstops are always on, they need to be reversed in configuration.h

change

const bool X_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = false

to

const bool X_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true

for each axis.

If a motor is going the wrong direction, change

#define INVERT_X_DIR false

to

#define INVERT_X_DIR true

for that axis.

The X3 is bigger than the Sanguinololu, so I made some offset standoffs to allow it to be screwed into the exising holes.

Post's attachments

Sanguine to Azteeg.stl 254.5 kb, 96 downloads since 2012-10-25 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Upgrading to the Azteeg X3

Nice Ian!
i don't think you have to rewire the endstops at the switch though since NO / NC can be set in the firmware. Thats what took some time for me to get right in RAMPS.

IanJohnson wrote:

The Azteeg X3 controller is equivalent to the RAMPS 1.4  It supports two extruders, 6 endstops, has a built in MicroSD card reader, and has many expansion pins, including support for up to 5 gcode controllable fans or LEDs.  Here is the page about it at the RepRap wiki- http://reprap.org/wiki/Azteeg_X3.  It is available from http://www.panucatt.com/.

The board comes without headers, which must be soldered on.  This gives you the ability to choose straight or angled headers when ordering (it's best to get angled headers).  If you haven't soldered anything to a circuit board before, I recommend these tutorials -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYz5nIHH0iY Part 2

If you follow his recommendations for equipment and solder, the job will be much easier than if you try a direct plug-in solder pen and some random solder (ask how I know).  Also get some small shrink wrap sleeves for rewiring the endstops.

Read the directions and wiring guide at the RepRap wiki.  In addition to the headers for endstops, thermistors, and motors, I recommend getting additional headers to add to the expansion pins while you are at it, especially the area designated for Fans and LEDs.  When you want to add features later, they will be ready to plug in.

There are plenty of warnings not to power up the stepper drivers without a motor attached.  So if you ordered drivers with the board, put aside the one meant for extruder 2 to keep as a spare, or save it for the day that you design that second extruder mod for the Solidoodle.

The endstops need to be wired differently than they were for the Sanguinololu, both at the endstop and the connector. 

http://solidoodletips.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_5624.jpg

The Common wire needs to go to the left pin of the connector.  The other wire needs to move from the Normally Closed (NC) pin on the other end to the Normally Open (NO) pin in the middle.  That wire goes to the middle pin on the connector. 

There are angled headers on the edge of the board for MIN endstops, and straight headers behind them for MAX endstops.  The Solidoodle uses MAX endstops for X and Y, meaning the endstops are placed at the maximum coordinates for those axis (X=150 and Y=150) rather than the minimum coordinates (XY=0).  The Z endstop is at minimum, since it is near the extruder at 0.

It is easier to plug the enstops into the Min headers on the edge of the board.  To do those, go in to the firmware and tell it to use the Minimum Pins for Maximum endstops-

Follow the directions posted elsewhere for updating firmware.  When it is open in Arduino, first go to configuration.h and  change

#define MOTHERBOARD 62

to

#define MOTHERBOARD 33

go to pins.h and find the section that starts #if MOTHERBOARD == 33 || MOTHERBOARD == 34

Switch the Pins between Min and Max for the X and Y axis.  Change

#define X_MIN_PIN           3
#define X_MAX_PIN           2

to

#define X_MIN_PIN           2
#define X_MAX_PIN           3

and change

#define Y_MIN_PIN          14
#define Y_MAX_PIN          15

to

#define Y_MIN_PIN          15
#define Y_MAX_PIN          14

While you are there, check the fan pin-

#define FAN_PIN            9

If you have a fan mounted in a nozzle duct, you can connect the wires to the screw terminals meant for the second extruder.  If you do this, leave the pin set to nine.  Alternatively, you can plug the connector into the first header pair in the Fans/LEDs section.  If you do that, change the pin to 4.  If you can't fit the connector on the first pair, you can plug it onto the last pair in which case you would make it pin 11.

If the motors won't move because it says the endstops are always on, they need to be reversed in configuration.h

change

const bool X_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = false

to

const bool X_ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true

for each axis.

If a motor is going the wrong direction, change

#define INVERT_X_DIR false

to

#define INVERT_X_DIR true

for that axis.

The X3 is bigger than the Sanguinololu, so I made some offset standoffs to allow it to be screwed into the exising holes.

Looks excellent Ian, let us know if this gives you any printing improvements.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

I followed the directions for using NO instead of NC, and then when I had to invert it in firmware, thought "but why did I have to rewire it?"  The connector still needs to be rewired, however.  On the sanguinololu, common was on the right, and the Azteeg has it on the left.

IanJohnson wrote:

I followed the directions for using NO instead of NC, and then when I had to invert it in firmware, thought "but why did I have to rewire it?"  The connector still needs to be rewired, however.  On the sanguinololu, common was on the right, and the Azteeg has it on the left.

NO? NC?

solidoodlesupport wrote:
IanJohnson wrote:

NO? NC?

The absence of NC smile

Normally Open , Normally Closed

cmetzel wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:
IanJohnson wrote:

NO? NC?

The absence of NC smile

Normally Open , Normally Closed

Ah, forgot about that terminology. Funny thing is we're wiring up arcade buttons in the office. Should have clicked.

Ian, can you list what you got on your pull down menus?  I'm assuming you just used the new drivers instead of switching over the old ones?

Which pull down menus do you mean?  And yes, I'm using the Sure Step drivers bundled with the board.  They are supposed to be a better design than the Pololus.  They cool better at least.

When I go here,

http://www.panucatt.com/Azteeg_X3_repra … ax33dp.htm

You have lots of options...  Is this not where you ordered?

I am assuming that I will get the 5 stepper drivers and extra thermistors for when I attempt to upgrade to dual extruders...

I am thinking about the heated bed as well.  I can't decide if I want to attempt to keep modding the current solidoodle or build a solidoodle replica with a bigger bed.  The general design of the printer is great and seems that it would be pretty easy to replicate, but it might be easier to prove the ability of dual extrusion and other mods on this one and then attempt a larger version.

I added 5 drivers and 3 endstops.  In retrospect I should have added a thermistor for a second extruder, but I didn't think of that.  The heated bed  is 200x200, so it would need some kind of mounting adapter made of aluminum which is more than I'm interested in tackling.  I don't know if 200x200 would fit, and the current bed does the job, albeit slowly.

I'm going to need another endstop unfortunately.  I seem to have melted one while rewiring it.  Two of my enstops didn't click anymore when I was done, and one of those doesn't activate anymore.  When you are soldering wires to the terminals, use as little heat as possible.  The best approach would be to rewire the connectors (which is required) and then try to make them work in firmware.

If there is one thing I have, it is an excess of soldering irons made for every job possible...

Sorry bout your luck with the endstops.  Did you get extra because you wanted them on both sides of all the axes?  I definitely would like to do that.  I am checking on the possibility of putting the 200x200 bed into the solidoodle now, but might be more interested in the quick heating silicon one.  I think if we moved to the Bowden setup and modded the carriage slightly, we may get to a 7-7.5" build area.  Without a carriage mod, we may be able to keep the entire build area by mounting the hot ends along the y axis.  I'd really rather start from scratch and go up to a 12"x12" bed, but that would introduce a slew of problems and will probably try to stay inside the solidoodle for now.

I got the extra for endstops at opposite axes.  It's good for piece of mind while playing with high speeds.  It's scary seeing the extruder take a running start for the other side at 300mm/s.  I'm not sure how to mount them yet.  I think the Y MIN might work with a redesigned pulley mount that includes an endstop holder.  Z MAX should be easy enough.

How would you mount hot ends along Y?  Would you try to place them directly under the X rods somehow?

14 (edited by jooshs 2012-10-29 18:54:33)

300 mm/s??  You are definitely pushing the bounds...  Printing or just movements?  I'm surprised you can get the abs hot enough that fast.  I was thinking it would be amazing if we can get this printing very well at around 150 mm/s ...  I've been using that for internal perimeters and different fills... It doesn't seem to get hot enough even at that rate without skipping some extruder steps. 

I was thinking that one of the extruders would be left very close to where it is and one might go either under the front x rod or between them...  I would prefer to keep the same build space for one of the extruders and minimize the loss on the other one since there are lots of times when I need the full 6"...  If I moved one underneath, then the other would have to be moved down as well if you don't want to be printing into the air or driving the extra extruder through the bed.  To me, the foot print is much more important than the height.  Ideally though, we wouldn't have to change the carriage as is and just find a way to mod around it. 

For the y min, I would and think I will attach an endstop to the actual carriage on the rods  and put a magnetically mounted stopper on the inside of the case right next to and under the y rod.

300 is just travel.  I can't get the extruder to keep up past 150.  Also at 150 there is too much overshoot to use for external perimeters, it leaves bumps at direction changes.

I think this may be of interest to you Ian,
I noticed it mentions ramps 1.4...although 90% of the stuff you guys talk about I dont understand :-)
Hopefully this is relevant.

http://thefutureis3d.com/node/188

That looks like a nice piece of kit. Its basically a single board RAMPS (which is actually a shield on top of an Arduino mega) with some other nice features like built in SD card reader, buzzer and mosfet drivers.

IanJohnson wrote:

Which pull down menus do you mean?  And yes, I'm using the Sure Step drivers bundled with the board.  They are supposed to be a better design than the Pololus.  They cool better at least.

Think they are worth the expense? The Pololu driver overheating issue is quite troublesome.

solidoodlesupport wrote:

Yes, the X driver gets very hot. This doesn't seem to cause problems on the machine as of now.

(in this thread: http://www.soliforum.com/topic/423/hot-xaxis-motor/)

solidoodlesupport wrote:
IanJohnson wrote:

Think they are worth the expense? The Pololu driver overheating issue is quite troublesome.

Do you mean the A4988 drivers? They are good to 2A and have thermal shutdown capabilities. Are you guys seeing these shut down? They are set to about 1.3A maximally, which is within the A4988's rating.

Incidentally, the A4988's mosfets aren't too great. Worst case looks like this:

0.43ohms *4 MOSFETS per motor (2 per phase) *(1.33A)^2 on the y-axis = 3.04 watts to dissipate. With RthetaJA = 32C/W, (which assumes a 4-layer PCB with proper thermal via placement, not sure if that's the case here) then you're looking at about 100C over ambient. Yikes. With thermal shutdown at 150C, I certainly see how these could be approaching thermal shutdown.

On another note - has anyone measured average current draw for the entire system? I'm beginning to think the 10A PSU might be undersized.

Can you access the microSD through the usb when it is hooked up? I want to bury my controller into the machine where easy access is impossible, but I'd like to have the ability to run without a computer.

You can copy via USB, but it is really slow. Apparently there is a different protocol or some kind of bottleneck between the USB interface on the board and the SD.

Arduino IDE communicates to the on board SD card through a serial communication. This is ok for uploading sketches because they are small in size (kb) but a decent g-code file will be much larger (mb). It's much quicker to work directly with the SD card, even though it's much less convenient.

Hi Ian,

Just want to say thanks for your blog and the many useful tips you've posted on here.  I am doing this same upgrade and have a couple of questions for you.

1.  Did you continue to use the power supply that came with the S2?
2. Is it only the endstops that need rewiring?  Can I just plug in the existing stepper motor connectors for example?

Thanks again for being such an awesome resource.

I got a new power supply that is 12V 30A.  http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Regulat … ly+12v+30A

I was worried about needed to rewire the motors based on the directions, but it wasn't necessary, they all went the right direction.  You probably don't need to rewire the endstop itself.  That can be accounted for in firmware.  You still need to change the connector so the wires go to the right pins.

Also for the LEDs and Extruder Motor Fan which are always on, you can add a place to plug them in.  In the upper left of the board next to the power terminals, there are a couple of pins labled Aux In.  You can add a 3mm terminal block there and use it to run them both.  Unlike all the others, those pins had solder in them, which I had to remove.

Here is the terminal block I used - http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ADA … x42g%3d%3d

Seriously Ian,

I don't know if you have any idea the contribution you continue to make to this community.  I am up and running again thanks to this thread.  My Azteeg is mounted nicely to the back of my machine on offsets of your design and almost everything useful I've done to and know about my Solidoodle is from reading your blog and threads on here.  I hope they're giving you free plastic!  LOL  Cheers Mr. Johnson!  Thank you again.