1 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-08-29 11:01:31)

Topic: SYTYCP - Week 4 - What does this setting do??

2n2r5 Print Challenge Week 4 - What does this setting do??

About the .stl:

File Name: vaseGen.STL
Thingiverse: 142181

Description:
This is a complex vase that uses a combination of overhangs, soft edges and hard corners to try to keep your prints from holding water. It was made using sketchup to create a dxf file which was then manipulated in openscad to give you this file here. I made this file to take advantage of the slic3r setting "Spiral Vase". A direct download link has been added above.

Print Time:   ~3 hours with default SD .3mm layer setting using the Vase Option with 3 bottoms.
Filament used: 33.5cm³ / ~ $1.17
File Size: ~25.3MB

What are the challenges?:

It has to hold water! Enough said!

Single Walls, We've been there before ... see weeks 1 and 2

Short narrow rectangular sections are thrown in just to encourage lifting on the edges. (because i'm nice like that)

What to do to give yourself the best chance for success:

For Slic3r vs .9.10B:
  Go to > Print Settings Tab > Layers and Perimeters > Spiral Vase: Enable (at the bottom of the menu)

This option forces: no top solid layer, no infill, 1 perimeter and gradually changes the z axis and uses one continuous stream of filament instead of creating actual layers.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Re: SYTYCP - Week 4 - What does this setting do??

This was NOT my first attempt. My previous attempts failed for various reasons. Some had a small corner lift which put holes in my walls while others  seem to be printed too fast and the walls weren't straight. Not to mention that every other attempt I was slightly over extruding. Anyways, after filling up my failed print basket I finally got this one.

Feedrate multiplier set to .75
Flowrate multiplier set to .97
layer_height = .15
perimeters = 1
top_solid_layers = 0
bottom_solid_layers = 3
fill_density = 0
perimeter_speed = 60
travel_speed = 100
nozzle_diameter = .4
perimeters extrusion width = 0.42mm
first layer extrusion width = 0.42mm
filament used = 12913.4mm (31.1cm3)

http://2n2r5.com/pictures/printer/pcotw/vase1.JPG
http://2n2r5.com/pictures/printer/pcotw/vase2.JPG

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Can we see it with water inside?  smile

No, I already gave it away.... I will tell you this, I tried it with water and there was a hole about 2 1/2" up the side that started leaking. I sprayed the inside with clear acrylic to help it hold water. I couldn't give my mom a leaky vase! I will print another so no one calls shenanigans

SD3 w/ mods:

That print looks really good.

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

thanks man, I am getting pretty dialed in on my prints. I had a little over extrusion and some slicer problems with that print but overall i am really happy.

SD3 w/ mods:

I made another vase using the same script. This is the girlfriend pleaser.  I think it's worth adding the stl. Here's the resulting file scaled by 50%.

.15mm layers

http://2n2r5.com/pictures/printer/show-n-tell/heart_vase.JPG

http://2n2r5.com/pictures/printer/show-n-tell/heart_vase1.JPG

Download Model

SD3 w/ mods: