Topic: AT90USB128DFU not seen as a COM port by Repetier

I had a working printrbot jr., but all of a sudden I started failing to connect and communicate with it.  The main symptom is that when I turn on the power supply and connect the USB, I see an unrecognized device AT90USB128DFU instead of a USB serial communication class with a COM port associated to it.
I try and run serial_install.exe several time and I do see a usbser.sys in my program/window32/drivers but the driver that is associated with the usb is the ATMEL one. Attempting to associate the USBser.sys driver to it fails because I can only load files with a *.inf extension from the device manager. Can anybody help me?
Thank you

Paola

Re: AT90USB128DFU not seen as a COM port by Repetier

Why not post to the printrbot forum?

I did. I am posting everywhere hoping to find somebody willing to help me transfer this technology to Uganda. I have a lot of people interested in it, but with 3 out of 3 printers down I am not making much progress (I have a printrbot plus that also doesn't communicate, and it doesn't even give me a port, and a rapidbot 3 in need of a new printhead...)

Paola

When Repetier loses my COM port, I just reboot and there it is again. Some errors will blow its mind and you have to reset. Maybe someone on the PrintrBot forum can offer more help. Good luck.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

Sounds like your firmware has been wiped out and the board is in boot strap mode waiting for a new firmware. Since there is no firmware you would need to use the Bootloader instead of Arduino to load the firmware.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

6 (edited by OJT 2016-10-31 23:52:43)

That's right. Now your printer's microcontroller waits for new firmware and it don't be satisfied until it gets it. Atmel Flip is the tool for reloading the firmware. In addition you also need
- the firmware as a hex file
- windows driver for Atmel AT90USB128DFU (=the microcontroller waiting for program) and
- manufacturer's quide on "how to update the firmware".

I have heard that Windows update can silently wipe off the firmware, if the USB cable is connected during Widows is updating. If that's really is possible and USB cable supplies the power for the microcontroller even when the printer is turned off, then the risk is substantial.