1 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-08-14 01:38:59)

Topic: SYTYCP - Week 2 Sands of Time

2n2r5 Print Challenge Week 2

About the .stl:
File Name: week_2_hourGlass.stl

Description:
This is the output of an openScad script made specifically for this post. The hour glass shape uses what you should have learned from last weeks print challenge and applies it to a more complex object. The hour glass figure is made up of a single wall which to be functional needs to "hold water".

Print Time:   ~ 2 hours with default SD .3mm layer settings

Filament used: 27.9 cm3 / 29 grams  / ~$1.00 @ $35/Kg

Notes: This file will not report as manifold in Slic3r yet will slice just fine.

What are the challenges?:

Return of the Single Walls : Sames challenges as last week

Over Hangs: There are some small overhangs not including the top cone. These overhangs should be completely negotiable for just about any printer. Maybe next week we will try to push them a little bit.

Short Layer Times : The center of the print will have quick layers. These quick layers are more susceptible warping do to heat. Anyone with a fan installed on the extruder will profit in this print.

What to do to give yourself the best chance for success:

• Look back to week one and duplicate your results

• Enclosures will help with this print. I got some weird layer separation on the top piece when I tried this the first time.

• Acetone Finishing. To ensure longevity for you print, when you finish, you should think about running this through a vapor bath to seal the single walls together. This might also give you a bit of a see through look

http://2n2r5.com/pictures/printer/show-n-tell/hourGlass_week2.JPG

EXTRA CREDIT: For anyone that has PC or a transparent filament, try switching filament to print the middle section as see through. Some can take this one step further and use the thingiverse page to generate separate files and use dual extruders to print this with laywood and PC or clear abs.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:133061

Post's attachments

week_2_hourGlass.stl 2.62 mb, 10 downloads since 2013-08-13 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Re: SYTYCP - Week 2 Sands of Time

Don't forget to visit my thingiverse page for this and customize your own.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:133061

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

As an update to this, I finally fixed the manifold problem with this script. So if you downloaded the script on thingiverse before, then please get the new version.

SD3 w/ mods:

Nice, I will try in clear PLA one day!! Bravo!

www.designerfred.fr      before: Solidoodle 2 + E3D v6 now: MeCreator II and OLO 3D

DesignerFred wrote:

Nice, I will try in clear PLA one day!! Bravo!

Nice! I am ordering some clear PLA today. I'm eager to see how this comes out.

SD3 w/ mods:

here is my attempt with clear abs but still moist after an hour in the oven at 100C
i just wanted to try it

0.3 layer height took me 1hr 49min
with fan

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4185/649x.jpg

After acetone finnishing

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/511/jb95.jpg

For this model, the acetone finish is perfect..

need some black sand now

nice Damon. I like these with the acetone bath. I tried this with one that I printed too and it looks great. thanks for sharing!

SD3 w/ mods: