Re: Anyone interested in nylon?

I did get some very strange looks from the neighbors as I hauled 120lb clear plastic bags full of white powder out of the back of a trailer...

Were you doing it in the middle of the night... LOL

@Tim... I was going to buy some but $50.00 shipping to Canada is ridiculous, USPS will ship 20 pounds for about $20.00.

By the way, my kit arrived on about July 11, while I was away. It was in good order, not damaged, also 2nd package with extra pellets.

thank you for you work and continued service.

Hi Tim,

Can you quote me on shipping to the UK please?

Thanks,
Chris

@Tim... Sorry, I just went to USPS.com to check my facts, apparently the rates have changed since I last looked. Although it will up the price I want to try it so I will have to bite the bullet.
I should know better than to question your wisdom ;-)

ddparker wrote:

@Tim... I was going to buy some but $50.00 shipping to Canada is ridiculous, USPS will ship 20 pounds for about $20.00.

Really? I'm using the USPS calculator on their website, 9lbs is $44 to Canada, 20lbs is $69. I'm definitely always open to better options for shipping, but I'm not seeing anything for 20lbs at $20...?

EDIT: you snuck in a reply there!

ddparker wrote:

By the way, my kit arrived on about July 11, while I was away. It was in good order, not damaged, also 2nd package with extra pellets.

thank you for you work and continued service.

Great to hear!

crisdo98 wrote:

Hi Tim,

Can you quote me on shipping to the UK please?

Thanks,
Chris

Shipping of what? Nylon sold through the store should automatically generate shipping cost prior to checkout.

If you go usps dot com, they have a shipping calculator. I imagine the other carriers do also.

DePartedPrinter wrote:
cmetzel wrote:
DePartedPrinter wrote:

Just make sure to package the Nylon extremely well.  That stuff covered everything in my second KIT because of a small hole in the bag during shipping.

How did a suspicious package filled with leaking white powder make it to the final destination?

It did look like a brick of drugs...

Rotfl I was seriously thinking this after I rocked up to Parcel Force to pay my import tax, drove my modified Mazda MX5 couldn't resist opening the parcel in the car, resulted ina puff of white powder, and too large bags of white powder! Certainly made me laugh! Still made it from the US to the UK and through customs no problem lol

I am interested as well let me know how much and when and where you want to get paid

tesseract wrote:

I am interested as well let me know how much and when and where you want to get paid

There's a link in the first post...

Speaking of feeling like a drug lord... I thought of throwing a few rifles in the picture, but decided not to... smile 6.3 kg of white (nylon) powder bagged and ready for me to reassemble my filastruder...
http://i.imgur.com/Xjw3sOq.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/h2zOKvO.jpg?1

You may want to pre-dry it, or periodically stick something in the hopper and agitate. At least in Florida humidity sitting out for days, it seemed to clump up in the hopper.

One thing I've tried is a ABS/Nylon blend, about 80% ABS, 20% Nylon. It fed and extruded great, I haven't tried printing it yet. It seemed less brittle than normal ABS.

Hmmmm... brings up an idea....as I have wondered about hybrid mixes, a multiple hopper/screw filastruder for custom mixes smile 'The FilaMixer'

Any tips for successful extrusion of this stuff? Mine is coming out pretty wavy.

Running at 190C.

Pictures?

Did you pre-dry? Are you poking the hopper periodically to ensure good feeding?

Waving would come from the barrel (nipple) not being full? Hence Tim's suggestion to poke the hopper periodically.

Would a taper at the nozzle help instead of pushing at a flat face?

Ralph

Right now it's definitely a bit harder to dial in then ABS, but I'll reserve judgement until I have run more. So far I've run around 30g through, and some has been straight-ish, most has been a bit wavy, and some has ramen'd out on me.

It is pretty cool - strong and flexible compared to ABS.

elmoret wrote:

One thing I've tried is a ABS/Nylon blend, about 80% ABS, 20% Nylon. It fed and extruded great, I haven't tried printing it yet. It seemed less brittle than normal ABS.

Printed some of this today. Really neat stuff. Prints better than ABS, seems to flow well and layer lines are less pronounced. Definitely more flexible and less prone to breaking than straight ABS. I like it a lot.

The Taulman is billed as a Nylon Copolymer.  Do you think ABS would be what they blended it with?

I am in for some to try. I like the sound of the mixed ABS/Nylon. Placed an order this AM Tim. Mikie

IanJohnson wrote:

The Taulman is billed as a Nylon Copolymer.  Do you think ABS would be what they blended it with?

No idea.

The other nice thing about blending it is that it won't clump in the hopper and cause feed problems.

It is not as strong as pure nylon - I can still break a strand of 1.75mm filament with my bare hands, which I can't do with pure nylon. I have access to all sorts of Instrons and MTS machines, maybe one of these days if I get time I'll get some data.

Does pure nylon extrude at a consistent 1.75mm?