1 (edited by lawsy 2013-02-24 08:43:54)

Topic: Solidoodle2-marlin firmware update thread

Since Solidoodle has officially adopted my firmware on their website, I would like a place to post updates to the firmware. This happens on github, but I doubt many would venture there.

Every time I update this thread, I will post the changes and users can decide whether or not they wish to bother updating to the latest features.

The github page with instructions:

https://github.com/mlaws/solidoodle2-marlin

The download link:

https://github.com/mlaws/solidoodle2-ma … /Marlin_v1

I have prepared a version of Arduino IDE 022 ready to go for windows users:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3qy0wjf86a66du8

Re: Solidoodle2-marlin firmware update thread

Since forking Marlin, I've done a range of updates as they have happened in the official Marlin repo.

Many of these have been minor or irrelevant for Solidoodle users. Language support for Spanish and Russian has been added for those using the Panelolu, for instance.

Recent important updates include support for PID temperature control for the bed. This is an algorithm that is already used to control the extruder temperature, and now can be used for the bed. For our slow heating beds, I don't think it would really be of any use. For anyone upgrading their bed, this might be a good option.

Today, Neil Martin's hystereris support has been implemented. Neil can no doubt explain it better but my understanding is that it can be used to compensate for backlash in the four axis the printer uses. Details here:

http://www.soliforum.com/post/2358/

Updated to add Italian language, and fix minor bugs.

Moderators, can you please sticky this thread?

4 (edited by jefferysanders 2012-10-19 14:50:49)

Can Auto Pause @ Z Position support be added?

jefferysanders wrote:

Can Auto Pause @ Z Position support be added?

As in "If I reach a certain Z, I shall pause"?

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Repetier can do this.  It recognizes some commands that you can insert into gcode that begin with @, which would be ignored by the printer.    As you scroll down the gcode in the editor, a readout at the bottom of the screen tells you what layer the line your cursor is on refers to.  Page up and down until you see the layer you want to pause at, and find the line where the layer changes.  Add @pause to the gcode before the change, and the printer will pause at that point.

You can also do this in a text editor, and do a find for the Z height that you want, like "Z25.5"

7 (edited by jefferysanders 2012-10-19 23:16:09)

@ Ian, I will give that a try.  It is not exactly what I am looking for, but it will help automate my work even further.
@ Support, Yep.

I saw this feature on the new Sailfish firmware.  You add in the gcode or you hit pause and it moves the extruder head away from the print (instead of manually having to hit + z and move to X).  This allows for easy fast filament changes, and when you are done extruding the remainder and get to the next color; you can just hit resume and it goes right back where it was printing before.  I am sure it could be as simple as coding in a second type of pause or even just backporting that section of code.

Very minor update today from the official Marlin to fix temperature representation on lcd display.

9 (edited by chuk 2012-10-23 20:23:41)

Has anyone done any before and after shots with the new firmware? I saw the pictures on thingiverse of the makerbot sailfish update and it seems to make a huge improvement in both speed and print quality and I was mainly just curious if it was also the same for solidoodle.

lawsy wrote:

Very minor update today from the official Marlin to fix temperature representation on lcd display.

Does the download link stay the same every time you update?

Yes it does. Here is the direct ZIP download:

https://github.com/mlaws/solidoodle2-ma … /Marlin_v1

Another tiny update for Russian language on the LCD display.

lawsy wrote:

Another tiny update for Russian language on the LCD display.

Firmware hero!

I have made a significant update in terms of our Solidoodle usability.

1. I have prepared a version of Arduino IDE 022 with the Sanguino files and 1284P support already installed. This should make the process much easier for windows users.

https://github.com/downloads/mlaws/soli … doodle.zip

Mac users will still have do it manually, although I would be very happy for a volunteer to do the same thing with the Mac dmg.

2. I have update the readme to reflect this change, as well as updating the correct line numbers for add-ons and fixing all formatting issues. The readme is now accurate and much easier to read thanks to syntax highlighting.

lawsy wrote:

I have made a significant update in terms of our Solidoodle usability.

1. I have prepared a version of Arduino IDE 022 with the Sanguino files and 1284P support already installed. This should make the process much easier for windows users.

https://github.com/downloads/mlaws/soli … doodle.zip

Mac users will still have do it manually, although I would be very happy for a volunteer to do the same thing with the Mac dmg.

2. I have update the readme to reflect this change, as well as updating the correct line numbers for add-ons and fixing all formatting issues. The readme is now accurate and much easier to read thanks to syntax highlighting.

I'll say it again: Firmware Hero!

I am new to the 3D printing community and have been pouring through all of the posts about the firmware updates.  My SD2 shipped last week.  The only reason I dared buy one is because of the great support from other users.  I have a few questions about updates and getting started.

1. Will my new SD2 come with the most updated firmware? 
2. I installed the all-in-one installer from the SD website...do I need to install Arduino IDE 022 on top of that or is it already part of it?
3. I found a good post in the google group about how to update the firmware (with pictures).  Is the version of firmware update that is on the SD website the best update to go with?

1. From October all the firmware shipped with the SD should be updated to allow you to use Repetier.
2. Yes you need to get the Arduino IDE, if you are on windows just grab the 2nd file on lawsy's post at the top of this thread. It has the IDE, and other Sanguino files you need.
3. I am not sure, I did flash the firmware provided above from Github myself. Seems to work extremely well.

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

OK, I am starting to realize that I may be in a little over my head...

1) I downloaded and installed the package from SD website but it seems to be pronterface not repetier.  How do i get started using repetier since this is pretty much hands down what everyone recommends?

2)I downloaded the Arduino IDE link from above and unzipped it (expecting to find a setup.exe or somethings).  When I click on the only exe file it just opens...not really sure where to go from here.

1. Search google for Repetier-Host, download and install exe file.

2. Read instructions from the first link at the top of this thread.

Ok I think I am making progress.  Accroding to instructions I am supposed to select tools>board>sanguino in the UI of arduino.

The options avalible are:
Sanguino W/ ATmega644p,
Sanguino W/ ATmega1284p 8mhz,
Sanguino W/ ATmega1284p 16mhz

Which do I choose or have I done something wrong? 

Is this any of these needed or will my printer (shipped last week) already have all of this?

From the instructions:

Step 4
For the standard Solidoodle 2 model with the 644P microcontroller, upload the firmware as is and select the 'Sanguino W/ ATmega644P' option.

I had ended up on a different instructions page.  Sorry to be a pain but thanks Iawsy for getting me on track.  People like you are the only reason the rest of us every can get started with this stuff.

Thanks again.

My Solidoodle arrived on 11/30, and I can't say what version of the firmware was on there (it worked with Repetier, but did not accept hysteresis commands) but I would like to say that updating to the latest version of your firmware had an amazing effect.

Printing a 25mm diameter circle on the firmware it came with produced a shape that was 25mm in the X direction and 18mm in the Y direction. I tightened all the belts, did everything I could, and nothing changed it. Until I updated to the latest version of your firmware.

After doing that (and only that) circles came out almost perfect. So thank you!

(And for anyone else having problems with circles being ellipses - update firmwares! That'll probably fix it :-) )

How do I get the very latest version using windows?

g00bd0g wrote:

How do I get the very latest version using windows?

Solidoodle Instructions: http://www.solidoodle.com/how-to-2/how- … -firmware/

Lawsy's github: https://github.com/mlaws/solidoodle2-marlin