Topic: Did I fry my mother board?

I tested my stepper chip with a multimeter to determined if slant on my printouts is due to high voltage. The results tested good so i proceeded to screw back the plexi glass which protects the mother board.

The unit itself was powered down but i forgot to pull out the usb cable which is connected to my computer which was still on (duh....!).

While reinstalling the pliexi glass a peice of metal mount slipped and temporarily lodged behind the mother board (there is a bunch of solders behind there)and printer frame. I quickly removed it and proceeded to screw it in.

When I powered up my printer, I realized that the extruder temperature started to climb even before starting up Repetier Host. It keeps on climbing and does not respond to the on and off switch in repetier host. Had to power down the printer to prevent the extruder temperature from going even higher.

Other controls still work (jog x and y axis, etc) except the temperature switch for extruder heating.

I may have created another problem trying to solve a problem.

Was wondering if there is anyway to determine that my mother board needs to be swapped? It would really suck if I stick in a new one and the heating problem still persist.

Would appreciate any input...

Re: Did I fry my mother board?

How good are you at soldering/desoldering? smile Since you know how to use a multimeter I would guess you have some electronics knowledge, from what you describe it could be a few different things...including a fried mosfet... probably the easiest to fix if you have even basic soldering skills smile if you fried one of the pins on the main chip might still be halfway easy to fix depending on how new your printer is.

Yep, easy mosfet fix. When this happened to me I switched my mosfets for my heated bed and my extruder. This got me back up and running until my extras arrived. The bed at that time COULD NOT go above 80C if I tried so it didn't matter that it was constantly heating.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Thanks for the responses.

At this point I have nothing to loose as its broken anyway, hence I will attempt the suggested.

My 3d printer is new (3rd gen) and I only used it once 2 months ago prior to the prints starting to slant right.

I attached a picture of the mother board which I pulled off solidoodle website and edited it with a label of what i think is the mosfet. Is that the right part?

Thanks again.

Post's attachments

mosfet.jpg
mosfet.jpg 147.8 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

5 (edited by adrian 2013-07-12 14:37:42)

nope, thats the 5v regulator

The mosfets are the two at the bottom of that image - they look the same as the one you circled but theres 2 together. The MOSFET for the Heatedbed is behind the Heatbed connector, and likewise the extruder one is behind the extruder.

Since you have the old motherboard - you can also like 2n2r5 suggested, swap your heated bed and extruder connections over, and then in firmware, swap the two in pins.h , recompile, reupload the firmware.

If you remove the mosfet, you can test if it really has failed very easily - use http://www.utm.edu/staff/leeb/mostest.htm as a guide. But from the sounds of it - its cooked, and as per usual with a MOSFET, failed short-circuit (i.e, "on"...)

Digging up this thread I might have the same problem. Which MOSFET should I use for replacement?

Which board do you have? If it is the Printrboard it isn't worth the headache to fix, and you would be back up and running much sooner to just buy a new board like a RUMBA or a Duet.
The RUMBA can be bought from Makerfarm.com and the Duet can be bought from Filastruder.com

You may have a Sang judging by the date you registered to Soliforum. The Sang is the most reliable board in my opinion, and worth the time to repair if possible.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!