Topic: Hexagon2 and DAZ3D stl files and lost abs casting

I'm an artist and i originally ordered the solidoodle for its price point and a desire to get into making sculpture. I have some familiarity with Hexagon 2 which is a 3d development tool for Daz 3d and other 3d programs. Now the mdoels from daz 3d can be brought over as stl files for Hegagon 2.

I was wondering if anyone has looked at these programs to see how effectivly the stl files can be used and printed in and on the solidoodle.

I'm thinking of using a lost abs casting technique which is very similar to the burnout for lost wax casting. I know it is possable but can anyone give me any further ideas of the process. IE have you done it how feasable and any toxic gasses i should be aware of

Re: Hexagon2 and DAZ3D stl files and lost abs casting

People have been doing this with PLA.  I'm not sure why one would be preferred over the other, other than PLA smoke not being quite as nasty.  Google Lost Wax and PLA, and you should find some threads about it at the RepRap forum, if not elsewhere.

Moved thread to correct section.

4 (edited by ysb 2012-10-15 22:45:49)

i work with poser pro for a long time and i try to find an effective way to print the model. it's not easy to transform a collection of. obj (poser export) to something that is easy print-able.

as daz3d use the same base model as poserpro, the problem is the same.

if you take only a nude model, there is no problem for printing.

the problem start when you try to print a base model ( v3, v4..) with clothes.

take a nude leg : the printing is good to print like a solid model
take a leg with a boot : skinforge/slic3r/other. will see this as a hollow model instead of a solid. the polygons of the boot will be the outer core of the model, the polygons of the leg will be the inner core of the model.. so the leg will be hollow with all the problems of printing this type of model.

i will give you any solution i found.

It's not free, (there is a 30 day trial) but have a look at Cadspan.  It is aimed more at architects, but it will "shrinkwrap" a new mesh around the exterior, and fill holes.  It might be able to unify everything into a solid.

Also try uploading to cloud.netfabb.com or downloading the free Netfabb Studio Basic  http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php   Netfabb studio might merge everything together properly during its automatic repair process.

thanks ian but i did find a cure for the problem he mentions with hexagon 2 you can take the model and the clothes with it hexagon and weld the 2 forms together and that should eliminate the problems of the boot and clothes being treated as an outer shell.

thats why you have to pose everything in daz before you export to hexagon

8 (edited by ysb 2012-10-16 13:38:00)

IanJohnson wrote:

Also try uploading to cloud.netfabb.com or downloading the free Netfabb Studio Basic  http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php   Netfabb studio might merge everything together properly during its automatic repair process.

nop.. netfabb don't do a good job for this problem..

sooo.. ok.. i have hexagon 2 somewhere on my hardrive... i will test it...  i use to use carrara 8 and don't see a function like that for a clean job... perhaps time to wake up.. smile

but if you don't have the problem of outer core, there is no other problem to print it on a solidoodle ...

for a good result, you need tp enlarge your model near the max heigth... under 3", the model print is not good (or for very very simple model)

edit : i see that hexagon 2.5 is now free (http://www.daz3d.com/products/hexagon/h … is-hexagon )

i will try this new version

IanJohnson wrote:

It's not free, (there is a 30 day trial) but have a look at Cadspan.  It is aimed more at architects, but it will "shrinkwrap" a new mesh around the exterior, and fill holes.  It might be able to unify everything into a solid.

It would be great to see an article about this on the Wiki.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.