1 (edited by pirvan 2013-07-10 17:58:33)

Topic: SD3 with "Z" Axis Ball Screw.

When I originally bought the Solidoodle 3, I had quite a bit of banding on my prints.  My first attempt at fixing the problem was with the well nut installation which I detailed in another post.  That helped quite abit, nough so that the banding was 85% gone, but still there if you looked close.

While the well nut idea was sound, and kept me going for the last couple of months, i still wanted to go "all the way" and install a ball screw instead of the 5/16" threaded rod.  Well that that has finally come.

I bought a SFU1204 x 350mm ball screw on eBay, and when I received it I had a friend machine the ends down to 8mm.  The bottom connects to the existing motor via a 5mmx8mm flex coupler, while the top rides inside a 608 bearing.

I disassembled the print bed and motor, only to find that the original mounting plate was too small to accommodate the large flange pf the ball nut, not only that, the new nut is too tall and has a 32mm diameter shaft, and would hit the rear "Y" shaft before hitting the end stop.

So I needed an new adapter plate, but the printer was in pieces.  No problem, I desinged an adapter plate, re-assembled the printer with the original parts, and printed the new part.  Once the part was printed and test fitted, I disassembled the print bed again, cut away the wood mount and installed the new plastic mount.

The ball screw installed without any glitches using the 4 original countersunk screws and lock nuts, the support rods got lined up and everything is back together. 

I was originally thinking about installing some linear bearings for the guide rods, but It turns out the rods are 3/8" diameter (9.54mm), and the bearings I have are 8mm.  I might eventually go ahead and replace the busings, but for now I'll leave them alone.

On a side note, the quality of the printbed frame is really below par, and mine is warped to boot.  I'm gong to look into making another one, probably out of aluminum.

Lastly I had to adjust the stepping in the firmware, since this screw moves 4mm for every revolution, so the new number is Z800

I'll be running some test prints later and post the results.
http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=2546&download=0

Post's attachments

SD3 Ball Screw 1.jpg
SD3 Ball Screw 1.jpg 182.93 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-06-30 

SD3 Ball Screw 2.jpg
SD3 Ball Screw 2.jpg 177.13 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

SD3 Ball Screw 3.jpg
SD3 Ball Screw 3.jpg 236.23 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Re: SD3 with "Z" Axis Ball Screw.

Any test prints (with pics) yet?

I went down this path but had to give up. I machined the 8mm end myself and rushed and botched it. This introduced a whole bunch of wobble into the prints which I couldn't dial out.

I might post up my pics in terms of what not to do later on.

lawsy wrote:

Any test prints (with pics) yet?

I went down this path but had to give up. I machined the 8mm end myself and rushed and botched it. This introduced a whole bunch of wobble into the prints which I couldn't dial out.

I might post up my pics in terms of what not to do later on.

I'd be interested also. I think I know the answer already. spend money = get results. That seems to be my experience so far. If I can get great results by spending 20 bucks on the m5 upgrade the I would assume I can get better results spending 60-160 on a proper lead screw or ball screw. I'm excited to see your results. love the setup so far.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

Right now I'm running the Thingiverse torture test that MAKE: magazine did (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:33902).

I was having some print problems before the screw installation which I still need to dial out.

I was having a problem with circles not being "circular", so I ran some tests using cubes.  It turns out my "Y" was short, so I changed the Y calibration from Y88 to Y90.50.  That got the squares square and the circles, nearly circular, but all of the sudden, I started having problems with the infill going all the way to the perimeters on small circles (3-4mm dia. like screw holes) and sharp corners.

For this test I increased the flow in Slic3r to .85 from the default .79, and so far it looks OK.

As soon as it's done, I'll post some pics.

The uneven x/y thing is more likely a belt tension issue. Been there myself and at one stage did the fix you did but solved it properly with more y axis tension tweaking.

2n2r5 wrote:

If I can get great results by spending 20 bucks on the m5 upgrade the I would assume I can get better results spending 60-160 on a proper lead screw or ball screw. I'm excited to see your results. love the setup so far.

You don't really have to spend a fortune on a Ball screw.  There are many inexpensive option out there.

The ball screw I bought only cost me $45, and that included shipping  I got it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SFU1204-Ball-Sc … 4605057686

As I mentioned, I have a friend who owns a machine shop, so he machined the end down to 8mm, but some of the Chinese eBay vendors offer to machine the ends to your specs, for an additional fee (usually ~$20 extra).  So it might be worth looking into it.

There are also a couple of Korean vendors which specialize in used CNC equipment.  I bought 2 ISSOKU (Japaneses made) miniature ball screws which I plan on using in my CNC quality home made printer.  Those were pulled from a CNC machine so they already have machined ends.  While they are used, they are smooth "like butter".  You can hold the screw vertically by the ball nut, and the weight of the screw alone will get it spinning and rolling down.

Granted the Chinese made screws are not quite as slick, but they're 1000 times better than a plain 5/16" screw and nut.

FIRST SAMPLE:

Originally I started printing the torture test, unfortunately it failed misearbly.  I  left to print and and when I came back it was nothing but strings of filament.  The first 4-5 layers printed then the print became dislodged from the print bed and it just got dragged all over.

I realized this was an I/O error (Idiot/Operator error).  After I re-assembled the printer, I put the glass back... up-side down, so this surface had no hairspray on it (had never been treated with anything), so it didn't hold the print in place.

Anyway, while I was getting ready print again, I also realized that my layer thickness was wrong.  It was set to 0.3034mm to account for the old 5/16"screw, so I put it back to 0.3000mm.

So here is the first sample.   Instead of the "torture test which would have take 2 hours, I printed this. 

This little model has 2 boxes:  One with a bottom and 1mm walls, the other which intersects it has a single perimeter wall (0.4mm).   Both boxes are 20x20mm.  I measured both and they measure 20.29 (x) and 20.24 (Y).  The box w/1mm walls is 11mm in height, and the print measures 10.92mm.  I assume the shorter height is due to the first layer being slightly squished.

But there's a problem.  Take a look at the second image at the area circled in green.  This is where every layer starts.  What causes this layer separation?

Post's attachments

SD3 Ball Screw sample @ .3mm 4.jpg
SD3 Ball Screw sample @ .3mm 4.jpg 121.13 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

SD3 Ball Screw sample @ .3mm 5.jpg
SD3 Ball Screw sample @ .3mm 5.jpg 186.93 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Nice work.

I find that layer issue can be a couple of things; Extruder Stepper Steps per mm have changed (filament tension, mood, whimsy...), Retraction Settings need tweaking, Flow rate is different due to conditions.

Turn on/off retract on layer change to rule out retraction quickly...

SECOND SAMPLE

This is the second sample.  Same double box as before, only this time sliced with .1mm layers.  This is nearly flawless if I may say so myself.  Except at the point of layer start. 

I think this may have something to do with wipe, de-string or retract.

I just setup one of my favorite prints, which should take about 10 hours.  I'll post pics of it when it's done.

Post's attachments

SD3 Ball Screw sample @ .1mm 6.jpg
SD3 Ball Screw sample @ .1mm 6.jpg 126.01 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

SD3 Ball Screw sample @ .1mm 7.jpg 140.96 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Pirvan looks awesome. I had those filament issues because of retraction, and our default settings trying to run the extruder speed too high. lowered my max extruder speed to 15mm/sec and problem solved.

adrian wrote:

Nice work.

I find that layer issue can be a couple of things; Extruder Stepper Steps per mm have changed (filament tension, mood, whimsy...), Retraction Settings need tweaking, Flow rate is different due to conditions.

I was just thinking about that, so I'll give it a try.

pirvan wrote:
adrian wrote:

Nice work.

I was just thinking about that, so I'll give it a try.

I tried turning off the retract on layer change, and that gave me a lot of strings and blobs.  So I tried nlancaster's suggestion about slowing down the retract speed.  Mine was set at 75mm/sec, so I put it down to the Slic3r default of 30mm/sec and that worked a lot better.

What I don't understand is why the print keeps starting in the same place, considering "Randomize Starting Points" is checked.

Post's attachments

SD3 Ball Screw sample @ .3mm 9.jpg 143.66 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

13 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-06-30 16:20:19)

Can you post the stl that you are using? I want to print one off for comparison sake.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

pirvan wrote:

SECOND SAMPLE

I just setup one of my favorite prints, which should take about 10 hours.  I'll post pics of it when it's done.

Well,  this one didn't go so well.  Some it looks fine, but there were lots of problems:

• Half way through the print, the legs broke off, and after that the printer was just oozing plastic in mid air, where the legs should have been.

• Even though the chin and the hands behind the head had support, it was pretty mangled up.

I think my problem has do do with the extruder fan.  This is something relatively new for my setup, and I had used it sparingly before with (relatively) good results.  But in all those cases, I had turned the fan on manually and only on certain layers with overhangs and/or thin extrudes.  This time around, since I left the printer going over night, I left the fan running through the whole print (no G-Code support yet).  And I think it contributed to the mangled printout.

However, as you can see from the the pics, the surfaces are pretty smooth so I'm happy with that, as this is what I was looking for when I added the ball screw.

Post's attachments

SD3 Ball Screw sample @ .1mm 8.jpg 176.19 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

15 (edited by pirvan 2013-06-30 16:35:15)

2n2r5 wrote:

Can you post the stl that you are using? I want to print one off for comparison sake.

Here you go.

Post's attachments

Combo Test box.stl 3.01 kb, 29 downloads since 2013-06-30 

16 (edited by 2n2r5 2013-06-30 17:32:34)

pirvan wrote:

What I don't understand is why the print keeps starting in the same place, considering "Randomize Starting Points" is checked.

http://2n2r5.com/pictures/printer/slop_results/test_cubes.JPG

I had the same thing. Not sure what is going on. That is my first time using that option since slic3r 9.10 (or that I actually paid attention).

The lady looks like she was coming out good too. What resolution did you print that on? (EDIT : nevermind. file name says .1 - I will learn to read one day)

SD3 w/ mods:

17 (edited by pirvan 2013-06-30 18:16:12)

Weird about the starting point ain't it?  The has been there for a long time, and I use used it as a default for like ever.  So I really don't know why it's doing it this way.  Maybe it's a bug in version 9.10.  I'll go back to 9.9 to see if that works.

Meanwhile if you want to try your hand at printing the girl, here is the STL.

Unfortunately, the STL is too big for me to upload, it's 41MB and even zipped it it's 18MB, and I guess that;s too big for SoliForum to accept.

I'll try to figure something else...

OK, so I uploaded the STL file of the Girl fixing her hair to a public storage, you can download it from here:

http://7pnd2n.1fichier.com/en/

I uploaded the complete, uncut model, that way you guys can print it the your favorite way.  If you plan to cut it, I would cut it right at the waist, it's the easiest seam to hide.

Meanwhile here is a print I did a little while ago.

http://digistealth.com/Public/Hosted/Girl_Fixing_Hair_small.jpg

Some additional findings.

The overall build height has been reduced down to just a little over 170mm. 

Originally the Solidoodle screw was press fitted down the motor shaft, which allowed the print bed to go all the way down to where it nearly touched the bottom of the frame.

Between the extra height imposed by the flex coupler, and the fact that I had to lower the ball nut mount by nearly 11mm so it can clear the "Y" cross axle, I now have 173mm of total travel, which doesn't really matter to me as I prefer to cut my models before I print them anyway.

On the positive side, the ball screw is 12mm thick compared to 8mm before, and is completely rigid.  I'm not exactly sure what kind of steel it's made of, but my buddy that machined the end told me this was one of the toughest pieces of metal he ever had to cut.

The end result is a VERY STRONG and RIGID platform.  On the standard Solidoodle you can see the print bed move, especially when the printer is doing very fast moves like infill, or when it sometimes hits the edge or some bump in the model.  That's all but gone.  This is ONE SOLID BUILD PLATFORM.

20 (edited by pirvan 2013-07-06 01:28:49)

Here is a print of yet another girl.  Like the others, this is a 3DS model so it requires quite a bit of work to get it printer worthy, and even then it's nearly impossible to clean everything. 

On this model the hair was impossible to fix, because it literally has not volume/thickness, and many of the strands intersect each other.  Of this reason, the slicer has a very hard time dealing with it, and it comes out really crappy.  I tried Netfabb Studio, MeshLab, but none of these can do much about the hair.  They fixed 95% of the main model, but none of the hair... 

Perhaps some of us here that are well versed on this subject should start a thread on how to clean up models especially those that are familiar with Meshlab and its various filters.  I was able to figure some out, but I haven't scratched the surface yet, so I'd really like to see a good tutorial.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=2618&download=0

I also have started to add my own home made supports, since neither Slic3r nor Kisslicer can do the type of support I want.  The way this model was cut, it only needed support for the chin, hands, tips of the shoes, and back of the hair.  Slic3r would have wrapped the model in scaffolding all around, which would have been a bear to remove.  Kisslicer can't even handle the model, so it's useless for this type of work.

So my approach is to add my own strategically placed supports.  I start with a model of a very thin (.25mm) bar which I load along with the main model, then I rotate, stretch (or shorten) and then place it where it's needed, then duplicate it and add it in other places.  Yes, it intersects the model, but it provides the needed support, and since it's very thin, it's easy to remove and only leaves very small marks behind.  Here is a picture of the unsliced model on the Repetier platform.  Notice the supports under the hands, the back of the hair and the tip of the shoes.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=2619&download=0

Last but not least, this is a thread about the ball screw, so in terms of improvement, I think it helped quite a bit, and it really provided much needed rigidity.

Post's attachments

Girl in mini-skirt 1.jpg
Girl in mini-skirt 1.jpg 159.69 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Girl in mini-skirt 2.jpg
Girl in mini-skirt 2.jpg 194.15 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

I know this is an old thread but I think im sold on a ball screw now... McMaster-carr has ball screws with one machined end

http://www.mcmaster.com/#ball-screws/=nwruyy

what size screw am I looking for? if its not on there please be kind enough to link me to the one I need so I can order it smile

I looked at the McMaster Carr page you linked to, and frankly, I would never spend that kind of money, you're looking at nearly $300 for the screw and nut, that is way to much to spend on this. 

Additionally, you are looking at imperial/SAE sizes.  The problem with that is that you'll have to deal with weird round-off  errors which occur in the translation from inches to millimeter.  In fact the is the reason why many change the "Z" rod from a 5/16 to a M6.  This way, the stepping values become whole numbers.  You'll no longer have to use values like 0.1058 for your layer height, just input .1000 or .3000.

Anyway, buying a ball screw at McMaster, even though I'm sure the quality would be very good, is prohibitively expensive, so I would go on eBay and buy one of the ones made on China.  You'll spend less than 1/3. 

The Ball screw I bought is a SFU1204.  That means it's 12mm diameter and has a 4mm pitch.  The 4mm pitch translates into a microstep value of 800 for the printer, and produces nice even layers without the round-off effects.

Here is the link to the ball screw I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SFU1204-Ball-Sc … 19d2677b00

The same guys sell pre-configured ball screws, but they are configured for CNC machines so they have a very long area that is turned down with special keyways, and you don't need that.  Technically, you need only about 5/8" (16mm) at each end machined down to 8mm so it fits the 5mm/8mm coupler.  The other end would fit nicely in a 608ZZ bearing (top bearing support block).

If you can find a coupler that supports 5mmx12mm, then you probably not need to do any machining other than cutting the rod to length.

Another thing you can try, is to contact the vendor before buying, tell them you want to buy the item, but want them to cut it to length and machine the ends to your spec before shipping.  Many of these guys will do it for and additional $20-30.

Whatever you decide though, get a metric ball screw, not SAE.  You'll also find that the SFU1605 is the most common, but that is simply HUGE, and the ball nut is also proportionally huge.  In this particular case, bigger is not better.  The 1204 is just right.  If you can find a reasonably priced 1005, that would be nice too, as the smaller screw also has a smaller nut.

BTW, assuming you want the same setup as what I have, the total length of screw you need is 11" (about 278mm).  On that, you machine each end 5/8" so you have a total of 9.75" threaded length on the 11" rod. 

Let me know if I can help with anything else.  If you need the adapters I made, I can post the STL.

Good luck.

thanks! with the SFU1204 did you have to do anything to the Al platform to make it fit(other than taking out the orriginal nut) ? does the new ball nut screw screw right in or will i have to drill new holes?   

thanks again!

If you can post the STL for the adapters, that would be great! I am going to give this conversion a try. Maybe Solidoodle should buy from these guys to begin with and save us all the trouble. wink

MolecularConcept wrote:

thanks! with the SFU1204 did you have to do anything to the Al platform to make it fit(other than taking out the orriginal nut) ? does the new ball nut screw screw right in or will i have to drill new holes?   

thanks again!

Read the first post.  I had to make an adapter plate.  First of all, I don't have an aluminum build platform, I have the original wood version.  The surface where the original nut is, was too narrow to fit the ball nut, additionally, the ball nut is so tall, that when homes, the top of the nut would hit the cross rod at the top (the rod that transfers motion for the "Y" axis).

So in my case, I had to lower the nut, which is where the adapter came in place.  If you have the aluminum platform, you'll have to find out for yourself what you need.

For those that have the wood build platform, here are the STLs

Post's attachments

Ball Screw adapter plate.STL 703.04 kb, 50 downloads since 2013-08-05 

Solidoodle Z Screw Bearing holder.STL 63.85 kb, 53 downloads since 2013-08-05