Topic: Nice print with Laywoo-D3

Hi all,

I wanted to share my latest (and only, apart from a few test cubes) print with Laywoo-D3. I used a 0.5mm nozzle on a J-Head hotend, 0.4mm layer height (I like the rough feeling of it with the wood), and a python script to change the extrusion temperature quasi-randomly in order to obtain a more realistic "ring" effect. Credits for the model go, obviously, to emmet.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2395/uatp.jpg

In summary, Laywoo-d3 works great! If you would like some more info on the settings and on the setup, I would be happy to provide them.

Re: Nice print with Laywoo-D3

Looks really great! And I think you're right, large layer heights seem to be the way to go with Laywoo-D3.

That looks awesome, great job.

Wow really good! How did you get the rings on the small gear to look offset?

Staffordknot wrote:

Wow really good! How did you get the rings on the small gear to look offset?

Thank you for the nice responses!

The rings on the small gear are actually different layers. The top of the gear is not flat and it gets printed in multiple layers at different temperatures.

Yes, Very nice!

www.designerfred.fr      before: Solidoodle 2 + E3D v6 now: MeCreator II and OLO 3D

Looks really good. Might have to try that one. Only used ABS so faar.

cyberpete wrote:

Looks really good. Might have to try that one. Only used ABS so faar.

You will enjoy it! Just make sure you use a 0.5mm nozzle as apparently a smaller one tends to clog. Also, be aware that it oozes quite a bit during travel, even with retraction, so preferably print one part at a time.

That looks very nice! I have laywoo-3d here but I'm struggling with the settings... I'm using CubeX 0.5mm nozzle but what I get are products without a smooth surface. There are some little gaps at the surface of my products. Can you give some advice in good settings? Thanks.

Witte wrote:

That looks very nice! I have laywoo-3d here but I'm struggling with the settings... I'm using CubeX 0.5mm nozzle but what I get are products without a smooth surface. There are some little gaps at the surface of my products. Can you give some advice in good settings? Thanks.

Uhm... Can you post a picture?

He just signed up today and will need a few more posts before he can post a picture...

Ah ok smile

If you have gaps on the surface, the most obvious reason would be low flow rate... Have you tried increasing the flow multiplier? I think I have it close to 1 for Laywood

I haven't tried the flow multiplier yet. I'm using skeinforge. Which setting is it exactly? I will post a picture later indeed smile. I'm now trying to increase flow rate. Thanks smile!

With skeinforge I don't know, as I am using Slic3r. Are you using RepetierHost or Pronterface? In Repetier it is very easy, there is a slider in the "manual" tab that allows you to change the flow during the print. I should also mention that I changed the nozzle diameter in the settings to .45 instead of .5. I found this in a forum somewhere and it apparently helps because the extruder pushes a bit less filament through the nozzle and it requires less force to extrude.

Thanks Rincewind for the information. I don't use any of those programs. Skeinforge just creates G codes which are sent to an Arduino controller. Unfortunately it's also not possible in skeinforge to change the nozzle diameter...

Nice, what's the script you're using?

yeah i was just about to ask that and is it like a plugin for repetier?

18 (edited by adrian 2013-08-05 07:51:22)

Its an external python script : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:49276
Also available as a W3 Svc: http://www.tecrd.com/page/liens/stl_wood&lang=fr