Re: Printable x and y carriage replacements (Level 2 - Techie Consumer)

I'll shoot some tonight, but my steppers are still the loudest thing... Even with G3D drivers and decay turned right up...
Depends a lot on how smooth your rods are though... I used new stainless polished ones, so super smooth. If its a bit rough I can envisage it would get rattly in the bearings....

I'll put up some video on the weekend to show this and the cable chain in action.

I printed this mod and ordered bearings as a backup, but was wondering, is there much benefit to replacing these parts if the originals are intact?

E3D-v4 Hotend, MK5 carriage with round plastic wire conduit , 3/16" tempered glass,  Well nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, PowerEdge 2650 500W PS, QU-BD heated bed, circuit board fan, hinged plexiglass enclosure with plastic tray top. Other than that mostly stock SD3

29 (edited by adrian 2013-06-19 15:01:48)

Heres some very quick and nasty video off of mine, doing a print at 200% speed.

The clattering you can hear on the straight Y Infill Rapids is my metal tweezers in the base rattling due to the silly print speed I'm running it at at the moment...

The rest of the time, the DC Fans and Stepper Whine is the major noise contributors... can't even hear the bearings...

on my list to print...

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

Adrian, what was your set speed before ramping up?

http://youtu.be/FO9bb6IbjeY

Here is a moderate fast print dialed up 300%, starting from 75mm/sec, for both infill and perimeters.

Glad you are posting faster speeds as it will get others to break out from 50mm/sec or slower rut. Tim (elmoret) is also doing a great job commenting about how much faster we can be printing.

My layer adhesion is fantastic. I will test 350mm/sec next week. I'll take 225 for now.

Can't wait to get my E3D hot ends and try this.

I'm printing proto paradigm silver abs at 195.

35 (edited by elmoret 2013-06-19 21:18:52)

Briggs wrote:

http://youtu.be/FO9bb6IbjeY

Here is a moderate fast print dialed up 300%, starting from 75mm/sec, for both infill and perimeters.

Glad you are posting faster speeds as it will get others to break out from 50mm/sec or slower rut. Tim (elmoret) is also doing a great job commenting about how much faster we can be printing.

My layer adhesion is fantastic. I will test 350mm/sec next week. I'll take 225 for now.

What hotend is that?

Solo doodle, for now. I wrapped the end with insulation to keep the fans from cooling it down. FYI, my extruder uses a powerful 25mm side fan. My peek barrel is barely warm to touch at top when dialed to 220. My new design hot end will have some cooling fins, but not be like e3d at all.

Tim, I would love to see your printer in action at high speed! It will give me a new goal post to strive for.

38 (edited by adrian 2013-06-20 04:24:43)

Briggs wrote:

Adrian, what was your set speed before ramping up?

It was a bit of a mongrel really. My perimeter was set to 60mm/s, then I had various percentage values for everything else.. ranging from 70% to 60% for the various perimeters etc 110% for infill, rapids at 150mm/s... I'll post a screen shot of the slic3r profile I used when I was shooting the video later tonight. But back-of-the-envelope guess is the print was probably averaging 120 mm/s (without consideration for acceleration/deceleration etc). I'm more just playing than anything else... but as you can see in the video, print quality is still being maintained - but you do need to crank up the flow and tempreature...

i have aus sized bearings and they still wont fit snug with rather high flow rate the 8mm holes ended up 7.5

Damon550 wrote:

i have aus sized bearings and they still wont fit snug with rather high flow rate the 8mm holes ended up 7.5

Wrap them with a layer of masking tape... I did that on one set of the carriages

Lawsy did you say you attempted to switch to GT2 belts and pulleys. I want to make the same switch also, what is the center to center distance on the y-axis stepper for the closed belt there?

I have printed the parts and ordered the bearings.
do you recommend upgrading the shafts to tool steel.
I can get some here.
http://www.amazon.com/Polished-Finish-P … B0050RMXJO

Ultimaker S3.

I have added my SketchUp file to the Thingiverse link. This should allow anyone wishing to measure anything the chance to do so.

nlancaster, there is another thread on belt specs that has my (unfinished) attempts to upgrade the belts to GT2 spec.

Many thanks, lawsy.

Quick question : is the single-piece version seen in the SketchUp file a work-in-progress or a design that didn't make the cut?

I'm thinking that I'd like to reclaim the lost height from adding an E3D and think it might be easier to do that on the single piece...

Thanks again for making your work available.

The single piece was a version that didn't make the cut. Basically it wobbled a lot on the bearings and was very unstable.

The three piece is designed so that when you insert the top/centre piece, it pushes the front and back pieces towards the bearings to limit the play in the carriage.

You can add me to the list of people who made the switch to your design Lawsy.  I like the idea of controlling my own parts and being able to print spares etc.  It's all put back together and running fine but I'm still tuning and testing to make sure everything is good to go.  I printed mine at 1.02 scale and they fit my Euro version bearings perfectly.  The only thing I'd change is how the belts connect.  I like a design that can drop in a nut to fit the bolts instead of screwing the belt/bolt directly into the plastic.  For now I've just added long m3 bolts all the way through and put nuts on it to keep everything in place on both sides.

neoblood3d wrote:

The only thing I'd change is how the belts connect.  I like a design that can drop in a nut to fit the bolts instead of screwing the belt/bolt directly into the plastic.

I'm actually adding that right now. THe holes have worn in my end carriages and I'm happy trouble getting the rest of my GT2 belts to stay in place.

Will post the update tomorrow at the latest.

Finally got my bearings in (had to order twice). How is the update coming along?

E3D-v4 Hotend, MK5 carriage with round plastic wire conduit , 3/16" tempered glass,  Well nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, PowerEdge 2650 500W PS, QU-BD heated bed, circuit board fan, hinged plexiglass enclosure with plastic tray top. Other than that mostly stock SD3

Whoops.

Made them, printed them, but then forgot to upload them.

I have just put them on now. There are now cutouts to trap M3 nuts for the six belt attachments as well as where the extruder bolts to the centre top piece.

lawsy wrote:

Whoops.

Made them, printed them, but then forgot to upload them.

I have just put them on now. There are now cutouts to trap M3 nuts for the six belt attachments as well as where the extruder bolts to the centre top piece.

Very nice I'll give them a try when I get another chunk of time to mess with it