26 (edited by adrian 2014-02-03 09:36:48)

Re: All bearing Y axis conversion

Photog wrote:
Briggs wrote:

Smitty, at this point why not just use two steppers? It'll be cute seeing two motors stick out on either side of the frame. Makes me think of Princess Leia.

I am going to try this, just ordered another y step motor. Do I just halve the steps per mm in eeprom to use 2 motors at once? I.E. from 88 steps per mm to 44 since with two motors I'll have twice the power?

Also can I just splice the wires from the New motor into the current one?

No.. steps-per-mm are exactly the same.
and youll need to connect the 2nd y-motor in reverse to the first, and use either a second driver, or deal with being limited to 1amp full coil current, as the A4988's on a solidoodle are no good at >2amp..

Maybe put the brakes on the idea of 2 y-steppers until a bit further down the path would be my suggestion - theres a lot to consider and many many many other areas that are likely to want/need attention before 2nd y-axis become a notion of merit -  Just my $0.02 anyway...

27 (edited by ysb 2014-02-03 17:21:58)

2 drivers for one axis give out of sync potential problem...

Many Mendel machines run dual z motors off of one driver. Like Adrian said, I would shy away from this until you upgrade electronics to better drivers that can handle it.

Steps per mm concerns the physical turning so setting it to half will turn the stepper half as far.

Adjustments you would need to make would be increasing the current on the stepper motor driver for that axis.

30 (edited by pcm81 2014-02-04 00:54:17)

I had minimal to no backlash issues on stock SD3 after updating firmware with hysteresis correction. Took some tests to find the best correction values.

i just got all my bearings for this mod. so i just use the stock gear in the new printed idler brackets ?

smitty

I downloaded the idler blocks. but what is the best way to print on the bed?
It lays flat with the bottom of the bracket on the bed. But there is like 5 layers of print, little shelf on the bottom, before it prints the complete bottom? What is this for? I tried centering so it is chopped off my print but slcir stills sees these as layers.

bottom down looks like the way to print since top down will have overhang and sides will need support.

SD2 owner- Surestepr, filament holder,QUBD servo and heaters, glass bed
Print for fun and for parts for my sports cars
current car is 88 IROC

how did you guys get your bearings on the rod????  i got my machine all tore apart, bushings out new Y idlers with bearings, but i cant get those other bearings on the rod!!

Well I will find out tonight. I have several sets of bearings on my desk now 6x19x6, 5x16x5, 6x13x6 flanged,5z13x5 flanged
and LM8UU I am doing the carriage xy upgrade first and test things out, then if good  I will print the rear Y pulley support, and the front idler arms, and then upgrade the bushings to bearings and do the fine Y rod upgrade

last but not least will be the MK5 head and Extruder fan.

Then I hope my SD2 mods are done. I hope I can then print at 2x speeds with no skips and much less if any banding. I get Z humps around layers 24-29 about 1/8" jump forward 50% of the time. the normal bands look ok. I do get skips on circles for sure if I print large circle patterns above 25 layers. I can usually print and design around it not to bad but sometimes it is.

then love to print a stronger more robust and much faster larger format printer.

current car is 88 IROC

jjcuff1 wrote:

Well I will find out tonight. I have several sets of bearings on my desk now 6x19x6, 5x16x5, 6x13x6 flanged,5z13x5 flanged
and LM8UU I am doing the carriage xy upgrade first and test things out, then if good  I will print the rear Y pulley support, and the front idler arms, and then upgrade the bushings to bearings and do the fine Y rod upgrade

last but not least will be the MK5 head and Extruder fan.

Then I hope my SD2 mods are done. I hope I can then print at 2x speeds with no skips and much less if any banding. I get Z humps around layers 24-29 about 1/8" jump forward 50% of the time. the normal bands look ok. I do get skips on circles for sure if I print large circle patterns above 25 layers. I can usually print and design around it not to bad but sometimes it is.

then love to print a stronger more robust and much faster larger format printer.

Please make videos

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

No problem, what in particular you want to see?

current car is 88 IROC

anyone? my rod didnt shrink over night still cant get bearings on needs a lil guidance?

didi you try light sanding of the rod and ream the bearings?

current car is 88 IROC

i tried lightly sanding the tips ofthe rod. to no avail... did anyone try heating the bearings ? what temp,  how long?  i dont have anything small enough to sand the inside of the bearings.

MolecularConcept wrote:

i tried lightly sanding the tips ofthe rod. to no avail... did anyone try heating the bearings ? what temp,  how long?  i dont have anything small enough to sand the inside of the bearings.

Not sure what's up with the rod but I had the same issue, almost like it's not really 6mm but something in between that and 5/16 which I recall is the closest Imperial equivalent. There is a significant delta between the OD of the rod and the ID of the bearings, at least the ones I had on hand, so I would not try heating them to install. Once they cool it's possible that they might be so tight they won't want to turn or in a worst case the inner race may crack although I doubt it given how soft the metal in the rod is.

My solution, I put the rod in my metal lathe and turned the ends down until the bearings fit then cut inward to get to where I wanted to place the bearings. I used two, one on each end since turning the ends left the rod a bit too small for the bushings which I left in place because they didn't want to come out easily and I had enough aggravation getting the shaft out in the first place!

RTRyder wrote:
MolecularConcept wrote:

Not sure what's up with the rod but I had the same issue, almost like it's not really 6mm but something in between that and 5/16 which I recall is the closest Imperial equivalent. There is a significant delta between the OD of the rod and the ID of the bearings, at least the ones I had on hand, so I would not try heating them to install. Once they cool it's possible that they might be so tight they won't want to turn or in a worst case the inner race may crack although I doubt it given how soft the metal in the rod is.

My solution, I put the rod in my metal lathe and turned the ends down until the bearings fit then cut inward to get to where I wanted to place the bearings. I used two, one on each end since turning the ends left the rod a bit too small for the bushings which I left in place because they didn't want to come out easily and I had enough aggravation getting the shaft out in the first place!

Same exact issue here, see other thread. I don't have a lathe though nor do I know anyone that has one. Any ideas? I need new bearings and a new Y rod because I destroyed the ones I had.

My SD3:  Clear plexiglass case, case heater, X axis stabilizer, Z axis stabilizer, thumb screws, filament guide, heatsinks on all motors, extruder fan, controller fan, heatsinks on motherboard, Y rod pillow block, USB and Power on/off switch, fully calibrated including trimpot tuning. Am I missing anything?

42 (edited by Photog 2014-02-20 03:48:41)

What about this size?
http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inv … R696ZZC250
6.35x15x5

Would be .35mm wider in Diameter than recommended in this thread. I am measuring diameter of my Y rod at 6.04 to 6.12mm depending on where I measure it. I measured the diameter of the supposed 6mm bearings at 5.8mm. So if the 6.35mm bearings stay true to the pattern of being .2mm smaller than advertised like the 6mm bearings, maybe they will come out at 6.15mm and will only be slightly bigger than the 6.04 to 6.12mm rod?

What say you guys?

The problem is that they are 15mm wide instead of 13mm so the pillow block will need to be adjusted or redesigned. I would be willing to order these bigger bearings and give it a test run if someone here can modify the pillow block design to accomadate them.

My SD3:  Clear plexiglass case, case heater, X axis stabilizer, Z axis stabilizer, thumb screws, filament guide, heatsinks on all motors, extruder fan, controller fan, heatsinks on motherboard, Y rod pillow block, USB and Power on/off switch, fully calibrated including trimpot tuning. Am I missing anything?

As per other thread - a 6mm ID bearing is supposed to be 6mm - the .2mm is a quality control issue and not how 'it should be'. 6mm = 6mm.....

As per other thread - a 6mm ID bearing is supposed to be 6mm - the .2mm is a quality control issue and not how 'it should be'. 6mm = 6mm.....

thanks  Smitty, these new idler blocks are awesome.

Mol..

How did u print these blocks? The stl has a small 5 layer ledge on the bottom that won't lay flat so it screws up and that is the best way to print it. Not the sides otherwise it needs support or has poor fill in the rounds ?
Am I missing something ? I used the model linked on prior page

current car is 88 IROC

I just checked the preview on prior page and it is there still. Look at bottom if idler block has a small lip in the lower corner what side did u print on?

current car is 88 IROC

i just flipped it right side up printed just fine. that little lip is gonna is gonna line up with the frame

Ok so u printed it with the lip side facing up?

current car is 88 IROC

no i printed it bearing holes up, how its installed in the printer.

its noticeably smoother when printing. prints look better and its quieter even.