Topic: Section for difficult print help/challenges

This has been mentioned on the Google group. Basically, it would be nice to have a section where someone can start a thread about something that is difficult to print, and attach the STL or a link to it. Other users can then attempt to print it and post images.

Sometimes it might be a part that the user is having trouble printing, and through other users printing it successfully, they might learn how to do it themselves.

Other times it might be a user posting up a really hard print they have successfully completed with a pic and challenging others to print it successfully.

Could be fun but also very useful in sharing expertise.

Re: Section for difficult print help/challenges

We could call it, "Ian makes us all look bad"  haha

You know that cellular lamp print I posted?  I did that with the printer upside down.  And underwater.  I'll be doing a blog post later on water cooling.

Upside down sounds feasible but you've lost me with the water cooling. Water cooling of electronics I presume.

This is the type of thing that would be awesome to share.

Example scenario:

1. User posts up STL and pic of object, challenges others in confident manner, perhaps with cryptic clue.
2. Others try unsuccessfully to replicate.
3. User posts up how it was done.
4. Everyone benefits from sharing of knowledge.

Ian, that's impressive stuff... But it doesn't touch my zero g printing. smile

Zero G is only good for PLA because the airflow at terminal velocity makes ABS warp.  Also pronterface tends to crash a couple of minutes into the print.  Once you get to ground level, detaching the print is easy, if you can find it.

Ahh, but you forget... The terminal velocity causes great heat due to air friction! It's like a perfect storm of a hot bottom with auto cooled sides.

Sounds like a fun idea to have a sd print competition section. I wonder if it would be handicapped so those of us with the early printers get a few strokes for the old extruder assemblies, wobbly z, and missing covers. smile  could learn a lot from each other on modeling tweaks and post processing though.

But don't forget- everyone with older printers have at this stage way more experience in printing, so even though I (might) get an updated printer, I would have far less time on it to tweak and fine tune prints to .1mm perfection. Also I am a complete newbie with this tech.  Upside down underwater printing?!? Was the next print a weaved basket?

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)

coleke wrote:

But don't forget- everyone with older printers have at this stage way more experience in printing, so even though I (might) get an updated printer, I would have far less time on it to tweak and fine tune prints to .1mm perfection. Also I am a complete newbie with this tech.  Upside down underwater printing?!? Was the next print a weaved basket?

What's so hard about a weaved basket...??  wink

Post's attachments

weaved basket.jpg
weaved basket.jpg 57.71 kb, 4 downloads since 2012-09-27 

weaved basket.STL 218.64 kb, 27 downloads since 2012-09-27 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Nothing if you took an underwater basket weaving course smile

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)