Topic: $2500 Resin Printer

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/for … r?ref=live

A polished, professional resin printer has invaded Makerbot's price point.  This is the first inkjet coming to displace dot matrix on the consumer desktop.  Some people will still need ABS for their application rather than resin, but it will be a much smaller market.  Makerbot can tout a larger build area, but it is hard to compete with .02mm resolution.

2 (edited by ysb 2012-09-26 17:04:38)

Re: $2500 Resin Printer

it's not a consumer printer even if it's "cheap" for professional... but 2500$ + the resin  (cost more than ABS..)
it's the nightmare for makerbot with the price of the replicator 2 completely out of the track..

the goal of 100000 $ is already exploded in less than 2.5 hours after the opening..(150000$ at this time), so the market is there...

don't misunderstood what i say : it's a great printer (4.9 x 4.9 x 6.5 inch... a little less than a solidoodle)  but for someone that need a very high precision..and have money (i always think that more than 1000 $ for a hobby 3d printer is not good)

perhaps when this sort of printer will be around 1000$ we can say it's a "for all people" printer and we will enter in a new era

$2500 is steep for the hobbyist.  Replicator 2 is going for the "prosumer" market, and this printer is going to kill it in that space.  The higher price of consumables isn't going to be as big of a factor for those people, especially at $.13/cm3.   For people who have been sending stuff to Shapeways at $2.40/cm3 this is a slam dunk.

I would love something like this, but being a hobbyist, the only reason even have a 3D printer is because Solidoodle broke the $1000 barrier for an assembled model ($700 for the S1).

Yeah I was checking that out today too.  I was on the kickstarter page and the total raised was $78K, had to pause the movie to take a couple phone calls, and when I went back the total raised was over $103K. 

I'm a hobbiest / inventor and once I get something to take off and have a little $$ to put back I'll probably pick one of these up, it's a game changer for sure, and not good news for the makerbot. 

Much like buying the first VCR for $1000 this technology of 3d printing will eventually land in everyone's home that wants it, once the volumes drive the prices down and the innovation is copied and mass produced.

whaouuu 600000 $ in less than 24h... jackpot !

looking forward to seeing this at Maker Faire tomorrow...

GoolGaul wrote:

Gool how was it?

Manx wrote:
GoolGaul wrote:

Gool how was it?

Maker Faire was awesome, and so was the printer. Although (just like the videos) it is a bit difficult to see the actual process as it involves, the models were just as nice as they look on line.

Very nice work guys!

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

I did see it at the London 3D show as well.
Looked pretty good to me, but if you ordered now, you would expect delivery in April.

Kvirre wrote:

I did see it at the London 3D show as well.
Looked pretty good to me, but if you ordered now, you would expect delivery in April.

I'm waiting to see what direction they are taking the company.

The FORM 1 was successfully funded at $2.9 million. Impressive.

If I had $2500 to spend I know I'd rather spend it on the Form1 then on the Makerbot Replicator 2.

I know I want one, but it will have to be in a few generations when it is a bit cheaper.. so I guess the Form 3 or something :-)

krist10an wrote:

The FORM 1 was successfully funded at $2.9 million. Impressive.

If I had $2500 to spend I know I'd rather spend it on the Form1 then on the Makerbot Replicator 2.

I know I want one, but it will have to be in a few generations when it is a bit cheaper.. so I guess the Form 3 or something :-)

We will see what happens. Those printers can't be simple to make, and there are limitations to the scalability of the design. It might take a while for this particular form of printer to become cheaper.

Typically the kickstarter price is less than the eventual retail price will be set at.  I think we're all in for a ride with 3d printing over the next 3-5 years.

cmetzel wrote:

Typically the kickstarter price is less than the eventual retail price will be set at.  I think we're all in for a ride with 3d printing over the next 3-5 years.

Absolutely

Looks like this will end up retailing for $3299

http://formlabs.com/blogs/blog

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

16 (edited by cmetzel 2012-11-21 16:17:39)

Oops

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20121121- … arter.html

I don't think they had much of a choice but to go ahead and sue them seeing as this printer will likely impact their future business significantly.

Unfortunately lawsuits like this will likely set development of printers like the Form back a few years.

Filastruder

They could only come up with one patent, so it may not kill hobby stereothography altogether. I wish they said which one it was.   They haven't gone after B9 creator so the patent issue isn't too broad apparently.

IanJohnson wrote:

They could only come up with one patent, so it may not kill hobby stereothography altogether. I wish they said which one it was.   They haven't gone after B9 creator so the patent issue isn't too broad apparently.

Well the B9 uses a projector for curing the resin and the Form uses an actual laser.  I am going to guess it has something to do with that. 

The process seems pretty straight forward other than that.

Filastruder

From what I read it has to do with the way that they vary their curing process for small details.  Where a printer like the solidoodle "cures" each layer at the same rate, their printer cures some parts faster for more detail.

what may wind up happenign is that form labs has a similar process but that it is sufficiently different that 2d systems has no standing. Or they could always pay the obama administration a sufficient cut of the prces to get them towaive the lawsuit

JustSomeGuyTN wrote:

From what I read it has to do with the way that they vary their curing process for small details.  Where a printer like the solidoodle "cures" each layer at the same rate, their printer cures some parts faster for more detail.

the latest word is the lawsuit is over the software implementation of said curing, rather than the implementation on the machine per se.